Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR - referee checks monitor for offside decision?!

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
The way I see it, it is pretty simple. If a player who is or was in an offside position attempts to play the ball they are automatically classed as interfering with play, whether they touch the ball or not. Therefore the decision to disallow the goal was correct. If anybody doesn't like that then that is an issue they have with the offside rule, not with VAR.

What I take issue with is the length of time and manner with which the decision is reached in the case of Macs goal. Unacceptable to take that long and should never have been sent to the monitor for review by on field ref. It's the length of time taken that is killing the game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Be funny if fans invaded SP one weekend, null and voiding all VAR decisions across all games in one fell swoop. Officials at games would have to do their job for a change instead of crying for nurse and bottling each week.

Well that's a whole new topic isn't it, are Premier League officials up to making crucial decisions when it comes to awarding spot kicks and making offside decisions etc?

Knowin for the last few seasons that they can now rely on VAR confirming, or correcting thei decisions, has made them lazy.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
This is what IFAB said when VAR was blowing up first time, and the principle still stands…

Lukas Brud (IFAB secretary) while not addressing specific incidents in English football, said IFAB guidance advises VAR should only be used to correct clear errors also applied to offside. "Clear and obvious still remains -- it's an important principle," Brud said in comments reported by the British media. "There should not be a lot of time spent to find something marginal. If you spend minutes trying to identify whether it is offside or not, then it's not clear and obvious and the original decision should stand," he added.

Clear and Obvious can be applied to offside.
So it's a perfectly good system ****ed up by the FA. Whodda thunk it?

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
This is true. I am probably biased though as the Mac Allister goal lifted me, the crowd, the whole atmosphere to another place. That's why it hurts, especially as the incident with Mwepu seems very slight and at the least debatable.

That's the big thing for me. Before they go back with their decision from VAR they need to ask themselves the question - Is it debatable?
If the answer is yes then go with the on field decision.

Is it debatable that Mwepu was interferring with play - YES - goal stands
Is it debatable that Bowen fouled the keeper - YES - goal stands
Is it debatable that Maradona handled the ball in '86 - NO - goal disallowed

Thoertically VAR then gets involved much less frequently.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
An ex-pro wouldn’t look for a reason to disallow a goal like the current clowns do, they would simply focus on whether a clear and obvious error has been made - which is what it is supposed to be used for

No, no they wouldn't. We all know that there's never a former Brighton player as colour commentator on our matches, only the opposition as per Alan Smith v Leicester. We all know that the likes of Shearer, Neville, Wright and the muppets on Talkshite are utterly incapable of setting aside their allegiances. There is no way an ex-player should be let anywhere near the VAR studio. Most of them demonstrate they barely have a passing knowlege of the current rules of the game. If trained former refs who have made a career making decisions can't get it right, a former footballer who frankly probably lost all interest in education at 14 is not the analyst we need at Stockley Park.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Not sure he's heading the team, just that he's now a permanent VAR along with the other idiot, Lee Mason. I believe all it means is that they are the only ones that only do VAR whereas others also referee matches.

Apologies, Mike Riley leads the VAR team until ex Prem ref Webb takes over in November. Lee Mason has not been given a game this weekend.......read into that what you like !!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
the protocol is simple, hence why every other league manages to execute it better, unfortunately we have severe lack of a) refereeing talent and b) coaching and leadership from the PGMOL

This.

End of thread.

End of the other thread.

End of previous threads.

End of threads to come.

VAR will be with us until my ******** no longer points downward.

FFS!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies, Mike Riley leads the VAR team until ex Prem ref Webb takes over in November. Lee Mason has not been given a game this weekend.......read into that what you like !!

Pink Floyd have a gig?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The way I see it, it is pretty simple. If a player who is or was in an offside position attempts to play the ball they are automatically classed as interfering with play, whether they touch the ball or not. Therefore the decision to disallow the goal was correct. If anybody doesn't like that then that is an issue they have with the offside rule, not with VAR.

What I take issue with is the length of time and manner with which the decision is reached in the case of Macs goal. Unacceptable to take that long and should never have been sent to the monitor for review by on field ref. It's the length of time taken that is killing the game.

go one step further, if a player who is in an offside position, they are offside. that's it, done, no interfering bollocks. that rule change is the root of half the problems this past weekend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
?
Is that a reference to the Floyd drummer, Nick Mason..............? shown your ignorance big time !!
Or Dave Mason of Traffic ?

It was a joke.

Getting peoples names a bit wrong is hilariously funny.

???

:wink:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
go one step further, if a player who is in an offside position, they are offside. that's it, done, no interfering bollocks. that rule change is the root of half the problems this past weekend.

yes but it's there for a reason. there has to be some judgement on whether or not they've impacted the situation because otherwise you'd have perfectly legal goals ruled out because one of the attackers was down injured in an offside position, or just doing up their shoelaces

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well that's a whole new topic isn't it, are Premier League officials up to making crucial decisions when it comes to awarding spot kicks and making offside decisions etc?

Knowin for the last few seasons that they can now rely on VAR confirming, or correcting thei decisions, has made them lazy.

I don’t disagree. Perhaps not lazy, but know what you mean. Maybe more complacent. But the overall point was discussed in Guardian podcast yesterday and the psychology by virtue of being asked to ‘take another look’ naturally creates doubt, hesitation etc. and if camera 6 is called upon because camera’s 1-5 angles haven’t spotted anything, then is it really ‘clear and obvious’ (to change original decision?) when the first 5 haven’t spotted anything in slow motion?!!

The problem with VAR is the panacea expectation. But it’s proved far from. Revert therefore and at least gives us the joy of celebrating goals in the moment again. Instead we’ve gone to lose lose. And killed the game when frankly there’s enough tinker twats doing there best in a multitude of other ways to do that.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I don’t disagree. Perhaps not lazy, but know what you mean. Maybe more complacent. But the overall point was discussed in Guardian podcast yesterday and the psychology by virtue of being asked to ‘take another look’ naturally creates doubt, hesitation etc. and if camera 6 is called upon because camera’s 1-5 angles haven’t spotted anything, then is it really ‘clear and obvious’ (to change original decision?)

The problem with VAR is the panacea expectation. But it’s proved far from. Revert therefore and at least gives us the joy of celebrating goals in the moment again. Instead we’ve gone to lose lose. And killed the game when frankly there’s enough tinker twats doing there best in a multitude of other ways to do that.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've come up with an absolute stonker of an idea. Obviously Sky want us all to watch it 'live' on TV so firstly do away with the fans, all of them, clear them out. Now start a game 30 minutes early, at 2:30 rather than 3:00 but show it 'live' from 3:00. Now Sky can edit out any VAR delays, in fact they could not show any goals that go in but then denied. Now we can sit at home and watch the game in comfort knowing if the ball hits the net it counts.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've come up with an absolute stonker of an idea. Obviously Sky want us all to watch it 'live' on TV so firstly do away with the fans, all of them, clear them out. Now start a game 30 minutes early, at 2:30 rather than 3:00 but show it 'live' from 3:00. Now Sky can edit out any VAR delays, in fact they could not show any goals that go in but then denied. Now we can sit at home and watch the game in comfort knowing if the ball hits the net it counts.

On some dodgy streams there is a delay of about 30 mins!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here