Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR - referee checks monitor for offside decision?!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bring in ex-professional footballers to advise the VAR when to actually poke their nose in.

If that's too difficult, just slap a 20 second time limit on VAR decisions - no decision in 20 seconds, the original decision stands.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Skalak volley was insane. However, when I wondered about that yesterday, I rated the Mac Allister one higher as the level he's playing at is higher.

With those types of goals (both of them), the level is pretty much irrelevant. There were no defenders near either of them, and no goalkeeper in the world is getting close to either of them.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
With those types of goals (both of them), the level is pretty much irrelevant. There were no defenders near either of them, and no goalkeeper in the world is getting close to either of them.

This is true. I am probably biased though as the Mac Allister goal lifted me, the crowd, the whole atmosphere to another place. That's why it hurts, especially as the incident with Mwepu seems very slight and at the least debatable.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Skalak volley was insane. However, when I wondered about that yesterday, I rated the Mac Allister one higher as the level he's playing at is higher.

I'm not sure that the quality of the goalkeeper he had to beat was any higher though. Danny Ward doesn't impress me at all. Mind you Caspar Schmeichel was one hell of an act to follow.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We know the power that PL clubs wield. If Barber and his counterparts got together and told the EPL "the operation of VAR is totally ruining the game, we want it gone", you can bet your life it would soon be gone.

It is down to the PL clubs to agitate for the removal of VAR from the game.

(And I agree that it is not the system itself at fault but the sub-standard referees operating it that are ruining the game).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We know the power that PL clubs wield. If Barber and his counterparts got together and told the EPL "the operation of VAR is totally ruining the game, we want it gone", you can bet your life it would soon be gone.

(And I agree that it is not the system itself at fault but the sub-standard referees operating it that are ruining the game).

Well if that is the case, ( and l am not saying that it isn't), then why haven't these measures been put in place already?

It has been pretty clear that since VAR was implemented that few clubs, (never mind managers), wanted it.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
So, during the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar, the video operations room will receive an automated alert in case of an offside situation, as well as automatically selected kick point, and automatically drawn offside line within a few seconds after the incident.

Don't panic all will be sorted for the second half of the season...........this cannot fail. However in EFL they admitted this week end the goal line tech cocked up!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bring in ex-professional footballers to advise the VAR when to actually poke their nose in.

If that's too difficult, just slap a 20 second time limit on VAR decisions - no decision in 20 seconds, the original decision stands.

they keep saying that on MotD, dont understand what problem they think it will solve. VAR is supposed to spot errors and apply rules, cant see how we need an ex-pro to subjectively judge something, based on how things were in their day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
they keep saying that on MotD, dont understand what problem they think it will solve. VAR is supposed to spot errors and apply rules, cant see how we need an ex-pro to subjectively judge something, based on how things were in their day.
You can't (and it appears the PGMOL can't either) but the rest of the world mostly can. :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I'm not sure it will be the cureall so many seem to think it will be, because ex players are human beings, will be working within a system that is controlled by the premier league/PGMOL, and will have their own biases - by that I'm not just talking about the teams they have history with, but positional - strikers who feel keepers are too protected v keeper's who didn't feel protected enough, old-fashioned defenders who love a meaty challenge v more skill-based players who suffered a lot of injuries/felt exposed to more robust challengers, etc. We already see the differences of opinion play out on radio shows, soccer saturday, etc. There will still be controversial decisions - maybe commentators won't be so quick to lay the boot in if one of their mates is in Stockely park helping with the calls, and maybe if the media bods aren't laying in fans won't follow suit to the same level they currently do, but the controoversies will still be there.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
To rub salts in the wounds, the lino had the "sun in his eyes".....................wtf !!
Should time be added on for the delays in farting around with VAR decisions ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You make it sound like the EPL want to get rid of it. I'm not sure that's the case, what they want is an improvement in the decisions of the referees operating the system. Remember it was brought in because refereeing standards were in decline (pretty much since Riley became head of the PGMOL). Also, remember that VAR is used in the World Cup, champions league, at least in each of the 5 major leagues in Europe and many more.

Hopefully, when Howard Webb takes over things might start to change. Riley was a weak referee and he's carried that into his administrative career. Webb was a much more assertive ref and hopefully he'll turn the PGMOL around.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unsurprisingly the shit decisions on VAR coincide with Mike Dean heading the team. Having already apologised for getting the Cucerella hair pulling wrong and the contreversial decisions this weekend, it's become a farce !
Furthermore, did the 7 minutes added time today include VAR pontificating over whether Mac's goal should have stood , given that the onfield ref and Leicester players had no complaints ?
Surely it shouldn't be tagged on as added time, the delay is down to them ?

Not sure he's heading the team, just that he's now a permanent VAR along with the other idiot, Lee Mason. I believe all it means is that they are the only ones that only do VAR whereas others also referee matches.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Be funny if fans invaded SP one weekend, null and voiding all VAR decisions across all games in one fell swoop. Officials at games would have to do their job for a change instead of crying for nurse and bottling each week.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

An ex-pro wouldn’t look for a reason to disallow a goal like the current clowns do, they would simply focus on whether a clear and obvious error has been made - which is what it is supposed to be used for

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is true. I am probably biased though as the Mac Allister goal lifted me, the crowd, the whole atmosphere to another place. That's why it hurts
It hurts a lot less after we scored another 3.

especially as the incident with Mwepu seems very slight and at the least debatable.
I saw it replayed on Sky's Ref Watch. Gallagher highlighted that it's about whether Mwepu's attempt affected the defender's clearance. Watching it back (with the angle they showed) and you can see the Leicester player got ready to head the ball, bent his head down to head it, such that he could no longer see the ball, and then Mwepu's foot swung by. So it looks like Mwepu's attempt didn't affect it at all. Crap decision.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
yes there is. the monitor was not used to evaluate whether he
was offside or not, the var official had already decided he was, it was used to evaluate whether he impacted play. simple as.

What I don't understand is this - offside is not subjected to the 'clear and obvious' rule, because it's either offside or it isn't.

But whether a player in impacting play is a matter of opinion, therefore does the clear and obvious rule apply here? Assume so.

But this is not clear and obvious. As a few pundits have said, Mwepu's atrempt made no difference to the defender's clearance (he had already started moving towards the ball). I don't think you can really look at that and say the officiala made a clear error. So therefore the goal should have stood.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
What I don't understand is this - offside is not subjected to the 'clear and obvious' rule, because it's either offside or it isn't.

But whether a player in impacting play is a matter of opinion, therefore does the clear and obvious rule apply here? Assume so.

But this is not clear and obvious. As a few pundits have said, Mwepu's atrempt made no difference to the defender's clearance (he had already started moving towards the ball). I don't think you can really look at that and say the officiala made a clear error. So therefore the goal should have stood.

This is what IFAB said when VAR was blowing up first time, and the principle still stands…

Lukas Brud (IFAB secretary) while not addressing specific incidents in English football, said IFAB guidance advises VAR should only be used to correct clear errors also applied to offside. "Clear and obvious still remains -- it's an important principle," Brud said in comments reported by the British media. "There should not be a lot of time spent to find something marginal. If you spend minutes trying to identify whether it is offside or not, then it's not clear and obvious and the original decision should stand," he added.

Clear and Obvious can be applied to offside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here