Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am filing this under “not coming to the Albion”

Greed will be the decider and we are not the Golden Goose. Playing time and a pathway to the first team almost certainly not a top priority. Agent will swing this imo
It was still on as of yesterday.

We have quite the reputation for enhancing the careers of SA talent. If the agent wants a reasonable pay day (Barco is rumoured to be on a buyout clause) followed by, potentially, a huge sum going his way (Caicedo style), we are a great option.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Greed will be the decider and we are not the Golden Goose. Playing time and a pathway to the first team almost certainly not a top priority. Agent will swing this imo
Perhaps another case of being 'found out' - we seem to be experiencing it on the pitch, and maybe it's happening off the pitch too - bigger clubs look to see who we are interested in and come in with a higher offer (but a lot less than they might pay us after a year playing for us) - see Nunez, Kudus - now maybe Barco too?

Stumpy Tim

Perhaps another case of being 'found out' - we seem to be experiencing it on the pitch, and maybe it's happening off the pitch too - bigger clubs look to see who we are interested in and come in with a higher offer (but a lot less than they might pay us after a year playing for us) - see Nunez, Kudus - now maybe Barco too?
Biggest myth going around is that clubs buy players just because we're interested in them. Man City have been tracking this guy longer than us for example. If it was true, all an agent would have to do is put out a false rumour we're interested and it's a pay day. It's nonsense

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Biggest myth going around is that clubs buy players just because we're interested in them. Man City have been tracking this guy longer than us for example. If it was true, all an agent would have to do is put out a false rumour we're interested and it's a pay day. It's nonsense
...... and agents don't do that?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Wouldn’t be so sure

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
...... and agents don't do that?
Yes agents do put stories out there but the whole notion that all an agent has to do is say we are interested in their player and it will have Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City sticking in bids in nonsense. These clubs will already be well aware of any player we are interested in through their own scouting networks anyway. They'll have already looked at the player and considered if he'd fit in etc, if they are interested they are interested. They might be promoted to move quicker if another club comes in for him but they aren't suddenly going to go "here Brighton are interested in this lad, lets buy him" just because our name is mentioned like they've never heard of him before.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I suspect MacAllister and his brother have played up as have our scouts and I’m sure Facu would love some compatriots but surely we are in no position to get into a bidding war with Citeh or Chelsea?

As far as the fee is concerned, it's just a matter of meeting the release clause. We won't beat them on wages but the player might see that he has a better chance of getting game time with us and his agent must see the possibility of a second pay day if he signs for us.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
As far as the fee is concerned, it's just a matter of meeting the release clause. We won't beat them on wages but the player might see that he has a better chance of getting game time with us and his agent must see the possibility of a second pay day if he signs for us.
It would be a real coup but then no one would beleive Fati chose to come to Brighton either.

What works in our favour is that Citeh are not likely to put him into the squad but send him directly out on loan to another club (leicester?) so I completely agree, as far as Citeh are concerned we’d be the more attractive option in terms of game time - but they aren’t the only ones. We are obviously serious because we’ve been looking at him for months but I don’t even think we’ve made any offers yet or got into any serious negotiations have we or know if Barco is signing a new contract (which would make him much more expensive).

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Apparently Facu has told him the weather is shit over here

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It would be a real coup but then no one would beleive Fati chose to come to Brighton either.

What works in our favour is that Citeh are not likely to put him into the squad but send him directly out on loan to another club (leicester?) so I completely agree, as far as Citeh are concerned we’d be the more attractive option in terms of game time - but they aren’t the only ones. We are obviously serious because we’ve been looking at him for months but I don’t even think we’ve made any offers yet or got into any serious negotiations have we or know if Barco is signing a new contract (which would make him much more expensive).

Reports from Argentina say we haven't made an offer yet. Also, no suggestions that he's going to sign a new contract with Boca.

Dec 29, 2011
Highest rated young fullback in the world, I think Man City knew about him already.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here