Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uwe Hünemeier injury

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Of all the players in the starting line up today Uwe is the one we can actually do OK without.

At fault for the first goal and not a patch on Dunk as a footballer.

The reason Uwe was "at fault for the first goal" was because Greer was in completely the wrong zone as the right CB and Uwe was trying to get across to cover his awful positioning. That he wasn't able to do that is no poor reflection on Uwe - Greer should be leading our defence, not relying on a guy who is back in the team for his first start in weeks to try and dig him out of a hole in only the fourth minute.

You're right about Dunk though - he is our best ball playing CB by a country mile.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The reason Uwe was "at fault for the first goal" was because Greer was in completely the wrong zone as the right CB and Uwe was trying to get across to cover his awful positioning. That he wasn't able to do that is no poor reflection on Uwe - Greer should be leading our defence, not relying on a guy who is back in the team for his first start in weeks to try and dig him out of a hole in only the fourth minute.

You're right about Dunk though - he is our best ball playing CB by a country mile.
Typical anti Greer analysis. Greer was 'out of position' because he had just taken his turn at pressurising a ball carrier. Centre backs don't stay on one side of the pitch. Uwe was "marking" the goalscorer and didn't defend very well.

I'm not massively anti Uwe but do get very bored of hearing that he is better than Greer and Dunk.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Sorry, watch the replay, Greer was at fault, marking thin air, ball watching. Uwe has tried Desperately to come across and cover up Greers error, but just too late. No doubt about it at all.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Typical anti Greer analysis. Greer was 'out of position' because he had just taken his turn at pressurising a ball carrier. Centre backs don't stay on one side of the pitch. Uwe was "marking" the goalscorer and didn't defend very well.

I'm not massively anti Uwe but do get very bored of hearing that he is better than Greer and Dunk.

I didn't say he was better than either of them (although I did compliment Dunk, who I personally think is our best proactive defender - I appreciate that my opinion isn't necessarily correct mind). But you're right, I'm not a fan of Greer. The way he defends has a negative knock on effect on those around him. He's a reactive defender and there's nothing more frustrating when the guy is supposed to be the leader of our back line.

In terms of today's game, it is arguable that Greer was at fault for all 3 goals. The second and third one he lost his man, that much is obvious (and I hope I don't have to explain these to you). For their first goal, he gets dragged high up the pitch without actually putting a tackle in (or to "pressurise"), then both he and Bruno move into no man's land (to the right of the 6 yard box so neither of them is in a defensive zone where they can affect the play or pick up runners) with Greer actually moving away from the ball as the cross comes in.

You say that both centre backs shouldn't stay on their side necessarily and you're right in some instances, but in this instance the goalscorer runs in alongside Greer and then into Greer's zone, yet Greer doesn't pick him up. Greer's movement away from his zone and away from the flight of the ball then leaves the man that he should've been marking free to attack the ball, with Uwe having to come across to try and cover his awful positioning. For the first goal, Uwe is on the right of the 6 yard box with Bruno/Greer even further right of that in the 18 yard box. Basically, Uwe is dragged across because the other two are out of position - he could've done better for sure, but he's covering the mistakes of two other 30+ year old defenders who are in totally the wrong positions which isn't ideal in the fourth minute of your first start in weeks.

If you want to call that analysis anti-Greer then so be it, but all I'm doing is highlighting yet another mistake in Greer's recent catalogue of errors that has cost us dear (alongside the other two goals today, his idiotic dive in against Derby, and his atrocious defending for QPRs first goal the other night). I'm not anti-Greer, I just want him to be better than he currently is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't say he was better than either of them (although I did compliment Dunk, who I personally think is our best proactive defender - I appreciate that my opinion isn't necessarily correct mind). But you're right, I'm not a fan of Greer. The way he defends has a negative knock on effect on those around him. He's a reactive defender and there's nothing more frustrating when the guy is supposed to be the leader of our back line.

In terms of today's game, it is arguable that Greer was at fault for all 3 goals. The second and third one he lost his man, that much is obvious (and I hope I don't have to explain these to you). For their first goal, he gets dragged high up the pitch without actually putting a tackle in (or to "pressurise"), then both he and Bruno move into no man's land (to the right of the 6 yard box so neither of them is in a defensive zone where they can affect the play or pick up runners) with Greer actually moving away from the ball as the cross comes in.

You say that both centre backs shouldn't stay on their side necessarily and you're right in some instances, but in this instance the goalscorer runs in alongside Greer and then into Greer's zone, yet Greer doesn't pick him up. Greer's movement away from his zone and away from the flight of the ball then leaves the man that he should've been marking free to attack the ball, with Uwe having to come across to try and cover his awful positioning. For the first goal, Uwe is on the right of the 6 yard box with Bruno/Greer even further right of that in the 18 yard box. Basically, Uwe is dragged across because the other two are out of position - he could've done better for sure, but he's covering the mistakes of two other 30+ year old defenders who are in totally the wrong positions which isn't ideal in the fourth minute of your first start in weeks.

If you want to call that analysis anti-Greer then so be it, but all I'm doing is highlighting yet another mistake in Greer's recent catalogue of errors that has cost us dear (alongside the other two goals today, his idiotic dive in against Derby, and his atrocious defending for QPRs first goal the other night). I'm not anti-Greer, I just want him to be better than he currently is.

Greer has been incredibly poor the past 3 games; utter rubbish. It's not anti-Greer, it's just the truth. Does anyone think he played well today, or against QPR or Derby?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Greer has been incredibly poor the past 3 games; utter rubbish. It's not anti-Greer, it's just the truth. Does anyone think he played well today, or against QPR or Derby?
I think he played well enough today and I said so during the game. He certainly had a lot of extra responsibility with Uwe as his partner. They conceded goals against a very, very good team. It happens.

I don't think Greer's brilliant but he is the captain of the team I support and I certainly don't think he's shit. I don't understand why people always need a scapegoat.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We missed dunk badly today, kayal spent the entire game picking the ball up of the back 4.

As opposed to Dunk trying a 40 yard cross-field ball and failing 80% of the time?

Didn't miss Dunk, middlesboro were just a good team who shut down our options quicker than most.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Greer was really poor yesterday. I do think 'Boro deserve credit for the first, pulled Van la Parra out of position easy cross, good finish.

Second was about Greer just struggling with movement at a set piece.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

It's not about taking turns, it's about doing what's right. Greer yesterday made poor decisions for the first 2 goals, BUT 'Boro worked the position on the first very well.

Not anti-Greer but he was off form yesterday, but then so we're Murphy and Van la Parra and probably as bad or worse.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Greer was really poor yesterday. I do think 'Boro deserve credit for the first, pulled Van la Parra out of position easy cross, good finish.

Second was about Greer just struggling with movement at a set piece.

Hunemeiere was at fault with first goal , very weak challenge , Bruno was beaten very easily as well .neither strong enough .
Perhaps Hunemeiere would be better as a sweeper not as a marking centre half as he is not strong in the air and has been bullied by centre forwards this season

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hunemeiere was at fault with first goal , very weak challenge , Bruno was beaten very easily as well .neither strong enough .
Perhaps Hunemeiere would be better as a sweeper not as a marking centre half as he is not strong in the air and has been bullied by centre forwards this season

Not at all how I saw it.

Greer wandered out of his position, so Hunemeier was forced to come across, I'm not sure it was a weak challenge as a good finish.

Bruno had done the correct thing in terms of whom he'd tracked, if anyone was culpable and as I posted earlier, I did feel it was well worked, it was Van la Parra, as he hadn't tracked back properly, 20 secs earlier and was out of position.

It was frustrating but the movement and working a good crossing position was clever.

Edit: wandered is harsh on Greer, but he was pulled from where he should have been. Kayal or Stephens arguably should have been where he was.

Last edited:

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
what ever division we are in next year our defence will need rebuilding, age has now got the better of at least 3 players.Calderon never expected to play in the first team this season and has done admirable,as has Bruno. Both the Spaniards have resorted to wrestling opponent's now their pace is depleted. Whether Dunk can remove his "one Mistake every game" remains to be seen, if he can then the future should be a Dunk and Connor Goldson pairing, with the Uwe as cover. Greer for all his effort and service will move in the summer to cash in one more time before retirement. Calde' has revealed his plans for management, I suspect he will take a player manager roll with a league 2 club and take Bruno with him,Crawley would suit?

southstandg

Dec 17, 2010
Sussex by the sea
One thing I did notice from yesterdays game was that we missed a player from midfield who would be an option for the defence to pass to. In a way someone like Bridcutt who would come deep to look for the ball. This showed at times when there was no other option other than to look long for Hemed.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Not at all how I saw it.

Greer wandered out of his position, so Hunemeier was forced to come across, I'm not sure it was a weak challenge as a good finish.

Bruno had done the correct thing in terms of whom he'd tracked, if anyone was culpable and as I posted earlier, I did feel it was well worked, it was Van la Parra, as he hadn't tracked back properly, 20 secs earlier and was out of position.

It was frustrating but the movement and working a good crossing position was clever.

Edit: wandered is harsh on Greer, but he was pulled from where he should have been. Kayal or Stephens arguably should have been where he was.

I think Uwe should have challenged better, GG was out of position covering midfield, and certainly VLP should have done much better, overall I would say the midfield defending was at fault and then Uwe should have had a better challenge on the forward

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Greer has gone needlessly wandering about 30 yards from goal in the build up to th first goal, and never recovered his position, never at all. Four minutes into a game there is absolutely no need to be pressing a player in the back that far upfield to try and make a point. Poor leadership example, especially when his CB partner is only 3 minutes into his comeback match, really stupid decision making from GG, and th second and third goals were even more laughable still. I like th bloke, but he was SOOOOO at fault for all 3 yesterday that he didn't even bother having his normal strop moan at people on conceding a goal - because he knew.

He simply has to do better than that, particularly against a good side, and particularly when his CB partner is feeling his way back in. No way did Uwe expect to have to do 2 CBs jobs so early in his return!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here