Uwe Hünemeier injury

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Greer has gone needlessly wandering about 30 yards from goal in the build up to th first goal, and never recovered his position, never at all. Four minutes into a game there is absolutely no need to be pressing a player in the back that far upfield to try and make a point. Poor leadership example, especially when his CB partner is only 3 minutes into his comeback match, really stupid decision making from GG, and th second and third goals were even more laughable still. I like th bloke, but he was SOOOOO at fault for all 3 yesterday that he didn't even bother having his normal strop moan at people on conceding a goal - because he knew.

He simply has to do better than that, particularly against a good side, and particularly when his CB partner is feeling his way back in. No way did Uwe expect to have to do 2 CBs jobs so early in his return!

Not sure we all watch the same game? I thought Greer wasn't the worst defender on the pitch, it's the wing backs that of me are our weak link. Check Bruno out for the third goal and see who scores the goal, for me it's not Greers fault.

I wonder if Dunk was playing maybe these headed goals would not have happened as he has more of an arial presents. Dunk and Greer for me, Calderon doesn't have the pace to get forward, this is a concern now with out lack of pace up front.

We will bounce back!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Don't watch the whole game! Too painful! You only need to watch the freeze frame marking on all three goals, it is truly chronic, as CH alluded to in his post match interview, I'm sure his comment was a fair degree stronger behind closed doors. It was Greer every single time, harsh but facts.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Previous seasons we have had the likes of Murray and Ulloa winning defensive headers from set pieces. Hemed takes the back back post meaning our full backs have to win headers against bigger players.
Also Stockdale won't come for corners, really it's no surprise we have been conceding from corners.

Well, good game for Dunk to miss, right? Though he's been sloppy too many times this season, I felt he would have done better countering the aerial threat of Boro yesterday. Uwe was disapppinting, particularly for the first goal, admittedly also RVLP's fault too

Not sure we all watch the same game? I thought Greer wasn't the worst defender on the pitch, it's the wing backs that of me are our weak link. Check Bruno out for the third goal and see who scores the goal, for me it's not Greers fault.

I wonder if Dunk was playing maybe these headed goals would not have happened as he has more of an arial presents. Dunk and Greer for me, Calderon doesn't have the pace to get forward, this is a concern now with out lack of pace up front.

We will bounce back!

Yep. we also miss Bong big time, head and shoulders our best defensive full back

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't watch the whole game! Too painful! You only need to watch the freeze frame marking on all three goals, it is truly chronic, as CH alluded to in his post match interview, I'm sure his comment was a fair degree stronger behind closed doors. It was Greer every single time, harsh but facts.

We won more games in August, when Greer was injured, than other months, when he came back into the team.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
I would point out that their first goal came from our free kick in their half, rather than Putting the ball in the box Uwe played a risky short ball to Calde. It's our decision making at time that worries me

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Of all the players in the starting line up today Uwe is the one we can actually do OK without.

At fault for the first goal and not a patch on Dunk as a footballer.

Sorry, I'm trying so hard not to laugh here. it never ceases to amaze me how quickly opinions can change on NSC.

Less than a week ago, after the QPR game, so many people were starting threads on here calling for Lewis Dunk's head. Now he appears to be the new Messiah.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I would point out that their first goal came from our free kick in their half, rather than Putting the ball in the box Uwe played a risky short ball to Calde. It's our decision making at time that worries me

Good point, it was a ridiculous move and waste of possession. If you're going to the trouble of sending the big boys up, just pump it into the box.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

You're right, passing to Calde is a risk.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes good point and IMO more relevant than the alleged lack of a challenge, which I disagree with.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

This is something that really annoys me, and you see a lot, from plenty of teams. You have a freekick near the half way line, all the time you need to put a threatening ball into the penalty area and put the opposition defence under pressure, instead its passed short backwards or sideways to keep possession, the opposition press you and you end up yourselves under pressure or the ball passed back to your keeper. I'm all for possession football, but not just for possession's sake

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This is something that really annoys me, and you see a lot, from plenty of teams. You have a freekick near the half way line, all the time you need to put a threatening ball into the penalty area and put the opposition defence under pressure, instead its passed short backwards or sideways to keep possession, the opposition press you and you end up yourselves under pressure or the ball passed back to your keeper. I'm all for possession football, but not just for possession's sake

Out of curiosity, what happened in the game yesterday that gave you the impression that us pumping an aimless ball into their box would result in anything other than them clearing the ball/regaining possession?

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer having the ball than giving it needlessly away, which is exactly what would've happened without BZ on the pitch.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

It wouldn't matter if it wasn't EVERY free kick from a certain position. It's almost like the taker is looking into the box and thinking, well, we won't win it if I put it in there.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Out of curiosity, what happened in the game yesterday that gave you the impression that us pumping an aimless ball into their box would result in anything other than them clearing the ball/regaining possession?

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer having the ball than giving it needlessly away, which is exactly what would've happened without BZ on the pitch.

We have players who can head the ball, not that many granted. Doesn't necessarily have to be lumped into the box, someone making a run down towards the corner flag to put a cross in. A bit of imagination. Surely some work on the training ground on free-kicks rather than tapping it 5 yards. I don't necessarily have a problem with that once in a while, but it just seems that is what is done routinely

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We have players who can head the ball, not that many granted. Doesn't necessarily have to be lumped into the box, someone making a run down towards the corner flag to put a cross in. A bit of imagination. Surely some work on the training ground on free-kicks rather than tapping it 5 yards. I don't necessarily have a problem with that once in a while, but it just seems that is what is done routinely

I totally agree, if we seemed to work on set pieces and they were paying dividends then I'd be on board with that idea. It doesn't seem to be the case though, so the alternative was pumping it into the box, which they were dealing with easily.

Going back to the original throw away point about our first goal being conceded after Uwe passed to Calderon, the reality is that a lot happened between this and the ball ending up in our net - so whether we'd pumped it into their box, passed it short or tried something inventive, it was the poor defending that followed our concession of possession that was the issue, not how the free-kick was taken.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The problem with Calderon & Bruno are the two players in front of them - neither Murphy nor Van La Parra work like March or Lua Lua nor do they have the team work to work with the backs....Wehave to change the style of play to fit with the currently available players not just hope we maintain the preferred style and hope it works...Personally I do think we missed Dunk he has stronger physical presence and that would have helped yesterday. That said we played what were predicted to be the best team in this league and they were good however the 3 goals probably flattered them.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Many clubs are reporting several players injuried and not returning for some time,we are fortunate that we have enough points already and can at least keep a mid-table position

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports