Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Utterly obscene

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If the Saudi's hypothetically bought Brighton .......I want my football club to in some ways reflect my values. If it doesn't, as I felt it didn't in the late 90's I would protest with all I've got, but won't walk away.

Newcastle fans. I've long thought their main gripe with Ashley was that he was a Londoner, (the other stuff about how he doesn't spend enough money, I've never really bought into. It's not like they have spent their entire trophy laden history completing for the league championship). Their anti-south thing combined with the promise of spending megabucks, means that they are willing to ignore the actions of probably the most disgusting, barbaric regime in the world. Astonishing ignorance, greed and hypocracy. Shame on you Newcastle fans.
PL - show some balls, protect your brand and don't let this sale go through

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not a trick or rhetorical question, but if the Saudi’s were taking over us instead of Newcastle, I wonder what the reaction of the Albion fanbase as a whole beyond NSC would be?

I have a sinking feeling that in the main it would be great excitement. As it would be at CP, Norwich, Stains, Watford, Spurs, Arsenal.

Anything for success, anything for trophies.

As someone once said, it’s a funny old game.

It's not just football though. Nowhere is perfect but there are parts of the world I'd like my country to be more associated with and others I'd like to see us keep more of a distance from. The direction of travel has not been encouraging recently, and it still isn't.

Perhaps we're not in a position to judge Geordies too harshly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ANY club can be transformed into a global footballing superpower if you chuck enough money at it. Whether it continues to mean a damn thing to the community it takes its name from is another matter entirely

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Not a trick or rhetorical question, but if the Saudi’s were taking over us instead of Newcastle, I wonder what the reaction of the Albion fanbase as a whole beyond NSC would be?

I have a sinking feeling that in the main it would be great excitement. As it would be at CP, Norwich, Stains, Watford, Spurs, Arsenal.

Anything for success, anything for trophies.

As someone once said, it’s a funny old game.

I'd be out as well.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Hypothetically if Newcastle fans were to start a campaign against the Crown Princes involvement the same crown prince who has an undercover hit squad willing to commit murder, I wonder if the Geordies might think twice before any foreign travel

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I surprise myself with the personal pride I attach to MY club when MY club goes above and beyond its duty as just a football club.

From Shoreham to today Messrs Bloom Barber players and managers never put a foot wrong which makes me feel honoured and proud to be a Seagull as well.

Unsurprisingly I can guarantee sportswashing The Albion would instantly remove that entire chunk of my support, from the equation.

It wouldn't remove me, but I'd certainly not be singing any praises or applauding the catering staff after buying the league and removing 'sport' from the game.

But it's more complex than that, isn't it? While Tony Bloom is an absolutely exemplary owner and does the right thing at almost every point, it's an inescapable fact that his fortune has been based on betting, an industry that has caused, and continues to cause, a great deal of misery.

I rationalise this to myself with the knowledge that he now concentrates his betting activities on his Starlizard venture, which is only for proven high rollers who can demonstrably afford to lose a few quid. And yes, of course the betting industry doesn't bomb hospitals in Yemen or even imprison people for their political. religious or sexual choices. But even so ...

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
If the Saudi take over happens which, lets face it, will happen because the FA have no guts to deny them then I will be boycotting any Albion v Newcastle match. Killing political rivals and journalists, zero human or equal rights and a cynical attempt at Sportswashing their reputation is a red line for me and I won't have anything to do with it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If the Saudi take over happens which, lets face it, will happen because the FA have no guts to deny them then I will be boycotting any Albion v Newcastle match. Killing political rivals and journalists, zero human or equal rights and a cynical attempt at Sportswashing their reputation is a red line for me and I won't have anything to do with it.

I would prefer the highly visible protest approach. Yemen flags all over the Amex. Orchestrated walk outs etc. It's possible that some positive change could come out of this

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My Geordie mate who lives in Spain is utterly enamoured by the club's new owners. He simply refuses to even contemplate the difference between Mike Ashley who treats workers poorly, to a murderous state which beheads people who it regards as a threat. For some reason, the mantra 'don't mix sport with politics' is regarded as an adequate defence for every raised point including the question 'Do you think the SA govt pass the fit and proper persons test?' I am very disappointed in him and have honestly lost some respect as he is completely beguiled by the money.

I know many Albion fans despise NUFC after they pipped us to the title, borne out by many NSC posters wishing their relegation at various times over the last 3 seasons.

But for me, they've always been a likeable other club going back to May 79, where on that fateful day I found their supporters to be a class act.

If the Saudi's takeover and they go on years of mega spending, accompanied with a newfound nonchalance/arrogance from the fanbase, I'll lose that like very quickly. Just another petro dollars ManC.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its such a shame that this period doesn't seem to have made football pause and reflect on where it's at and where it's going. You could also say the same about governments and the general population and the environment. How quickly local environments have changed - or were changing with the world in lockdown. You can bet your bottom dollar that the world will return to exactly the way it was despite this huge opportunity to reflect on and change the way we live.

Greed and power is the biggest disease of a significant percentage of the human psyche unfortunately.

Totally agree. Greed allied with massive consumerism.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Mind you, if our government does a cracking trade deal with the Saudis, not to mention any other regime with a dodgy human rights record, we will have no option but to share the spoils. And that, it seems, is more likely than it used to be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It'd be interesting to really know what we'd do if they came to The Albion with all their millions. On the face of it it'd be easy to say "I'd be off to watch Arundel, Southwick, Shoreham etc" but would we really? Or would we enjoy us beating the likes of Pilarse by ease, winning a trophy at Wembley, travelling to Baku to see us win 0 - 2 in Europe, watching the best that the World can provide scoring for our team, buying last years top scorer, and being first on MotD. I'd still like to think it'd be the end of my Albion supporting days but I'm not sure, when it came to it, it would be. UTA!

The vast majority would stay onboard.

Those of us giving up seats, would see them instantly snapped up by a new wave of supporters, revelling in the mega player purchases and serious campaigns to win the LC or FAC, get into Europe.

That's modern 'sporting' life.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I actually meant Jebus, but predictive text changed it to some fictitious middle class white hipster with a beard and sandals, who clearly never existed.

Still not too sure he would go down well with a man of Jewish faith!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here