Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

USA / Canada Cities

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Boston: lots of history, tech, architecture (for the U.S.) and is the location of my favourite restaurant in the world atm. Seriously cold in Feb.

Which is?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I found Boston a bit dull. But, it does have MIT and the Gehry building.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
February - bar the Super Bowl on the first weekend you'll be stuck with basketball and (ice) hockey. Avoid like the plague.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Been to Dallas a couple of times. Yeah, like others I found it dull. All a bit 'meh'.

Vancouver in February, its likely to be hammering with rain - Statistically it gets more annual rainfall than London. Whilst maybe not as cold as other Canadian cities, it still won't be particularly pleasant to go outdoor sightseeing.

As mentioned, the OP could do a lot worse than FL in February. Far more agreeable climate than other North American cities in Feb or indeed Florida in high summer which is revolting if you don't do heat and humidity. Rather than stay in Miami itself, maybe Fort Lauderdale just a few miles north up the highway? A good base to fan out to other places such as Miami, The Keys, Everglades etc. Key West is quite a drive (about three hours or so if I remember?) but doable if you leave early morning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
O Ya; a seriously impressive Japanese place. http://www.oyarestaurantboston.com/menu_dinner.php

Cool. The food scene is pretty good there actually, with a lot of obvious seafood options. I also found this great craft bar

http://www.sunsetgrillallston.com

Sunset Grill & Tap

Boasting the biggest selection of beers on the east coast of America, with 112 on tap varieties and a further 380 microbrewery products and exotic imports, Sunset Grill & Tap is definitely a must-try dining destination for beer fanatics. The award-winning beer bar offers a menu of tasty pub grub-style fare that perfectly matches its extensive beer collection. Take, for example, its popular steam beer burger – half a pound of freshly ground sirloin beef cooked on the restaurant’s steam grill to ensure maximum flavor and juiciness – and the bourbon BBQ steak served with onion rings and sun-dried cranberry coleslaw. A number of sandwiches, salads and fajitas are also available.
Sunset Grill & Tap, 130 Brighton Avenue, Boston, MA, USA, +1 617 254 1331

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Been to Dallas a couple of times. Yeah, like others I found it dull. All a bit 'meh'.

Vancouver in February, its likely to be hammering with rain - Statistically it gets more annual rainfall than London. Whilst maybe not as cold as other Canadian cities, it still won't be particularly pleasant to go outdoor sightseeing.

As mentioned, the OP could do a lot worse than FL in February. Far more agreeable climate than other North American cities in Feb or indeed Florida in high summer which is revolting if you don't do heat and humidity. Rather than stay in Miami itself, maybe Fort Lauderdale just a few miles north up the highway? A good base to fan out to other places such as Miami, The Keys, Everglades etc. Key West is quite a drive (about three hours or so if I remember?) but doable if you leave early morning.

Staying in Fort Lauderdale rather than miami is like staying in Worthing rather than brighton. Times a million. Don't fly 8 hours and then not stay in Miami.

That said If you want to do the glades and keys but don't want south beach nonsense prices for a stay, aim for coral gables or coconut grove, straight on south Dixie for the keys or tamiami for the glades. Coral gables also easy for 8th street and yer Cuban miami.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Staying in Fort Lauderdale rather than miami is like staying in Worthing rather than brighton. Times a million. Don't fly 8 hours and then not stay in Miami.

That said If you want to do the glades and keys but don't want south beach nonsense prices for a stay, aim for coral gables or coconut grove, straight on south Dixie for the keys or tamiami for the glades. Coral gables also easy for 8th street and yer Cuban miami.

Spot on.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Washington DC, yes it may be cold with snow, but you get to avoid all the queues and hot sticky weather which are present in the summer. Also can fit in ice hockey and basketball games.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If you want sunshine, your best options are Southern Florida or Southern California. Both places have more than enough to occupy you for 5 days, you'll obviously get a bit more out of your limited time in Florida.

If you're not fussed about the weather, Vancouver for 5 days or Boston. Although having been to Boston, I love the place, but would get a bit bored after 2-3 days.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

I lived in Fort Lauderdale for four months back in the 80's and have been back since. It certainly isn't Worthing imo. Slightly more relaxed ambience than Miami for sure. I much prefered it to Miami as a place to hang out. I felt considerably safer too - Apart from arriving home one day to find a young alligator sunbathing on the canal bank opposite.

If I flew 8 hours, I would probably stay anywhere but Miami. Plenty of options within reasonable driving distance of the area. All about personal preference I guess.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I lived in Fort Lauderdale for four months back in the 80's and have been back since. It certainly isn't Worthing imo. Slightly more relaxed ambience than Miami for sure. I much prefered it to Miami as a place to hang out. I felt considerably safer too - Apart from arriving home one day to find a young alligator sunbathing on the canal bank opposite. ,

If I flew 8 hours, I would probably stay anywhere but Miami. Plenty of options within reasonable driving distance of the area. All about personal preference I guess.

Fair enough, you are right, it's much more chilled and there are far far less loons. I was there yesterday all day and it is boring though. Can't get a colada for love nor money unlike miami. Very different places, just quite close to each other and have beaches.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Ha ha. I agree it's not your typical holiday destination, and the immigration guy did take some convincing of my reasons for travel. I stayed at this typical motel and I was the only white face in the attached diner. It was the same faces in the same places at breakfast and they were also incredulous I'd chosen Detroit for a holiday. But, I found it an absolutely fascinating city.

I was there in Feb as well.

Fair play, I can just imagine the faces on immigration. You should host a travel show for random holidays :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair play, I can just imagine the faces on immigration. You should host a travel show for random holidays :)

YeaH. The immigration guy literally said to me "no one comes to Detroit on vacation Buddy" when I explained my arrival....which caused a bit of unease on my side. I was then asked what there is to see in Detroit and my other movements in the US. I eventually won him over though, with a potted history of his city and music scene, and to be fair once he realised I was for real it was fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here