Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is incredible, but people are buying it, suddenly he's trying to act like a statesman. The world will have to work with this guy but he has shown his colours, proceed with caution.

A decent listen...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04dggn1
Personally, I cannot stand Donald Trump. But why are there posts COMPLAINING that he is acting statesmanlike? For all our sakes, we had better hope he can conform at least a little, otherwise things will be far far worse. If being president gives him a little more maturity and thoughtfulness in his words and actions we should all be grateful. Would you like it if he fulfils the stereotype or would you prefer it if he were to be more reasonable?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Contingency plans may be common place but they proctively went ahead with it using all the methods they suggested in the "memo"

General Wesley Clark: Wars Were Planned - Seven Countries In Five Years.

https://youtu.be/9RC1Mepk_Sw

Not sure how i can spell out to you any clearer...I am not arguing with you that the US isn't pursuing its own self interest in the middle east I am simply pointing out that all the major powers are doing so. The chap in your video is 100% right, would any power be interested in intervention if this was Africa and there was no oil or strategic importance? No they wouldn't.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes we should be concerned environmentally but not politically. Is America making a fuss because it is concerned about coral reefs, if so this has slipped by me? :)

Freedom of navigation and innocent passage is all the Americans wish for,that and the suppression of the rise of China,of course.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
What's it got to do with us what China claims is theirs in the China sea? The US have a military base on one island and the islanders want shot of them.

Because its perceived to be in our national interest to do so. There is a lot of concern that the dispute in the south china sea could be a potential trigger point for conflict in the region. Ultimately of course none of the competing countries would care less if the area didn't have potential oil and natural reserves.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Just imagine if someone prosecutes him on sexual assault charges and wins! Here today, gone tomorrow!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think that is a dangerous view. All leaders should be challenged and protested against if they are doing things that a large section of the population disagree with. Lots of horrible leaders got elected democratically, are you seriously implying they were ok and what they did was fine as that's how it works?

Nope.

I'm implying that taking to the streets to protest about an election result after somebody has been democratically elected is a complete and utter waste of time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It may end up a waste of time but I disagree with you that they should not do it. Just because someone has been democratically elected does not mean people can not protest about them. If that many people feel so strongly about it surely, if anything, that is a sign that something or someone is not doing a good job.

He hasn't even started the job yet.

Trump is full of shit, he built a campaign on car bumper sticker rhetoric. Muslims are not going to be banned. There will be no wall built. Nobody will be raped in the West Wing. He's almost a cartoon character, a pantomime villain. All he's missing is a giant moustache to twirl, everyones already decided he is going to destroy the USA and probably the planet. And then the moon. THEN by all means, get the pitchforks out and lets have the protests.

But who knows, with some decent advisors, he MIGHT actually do alright ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think it is a bit of a risk to wait until bad stuff happens to start protesting and voicing an opinion. He may be fine, he may not. But what is wrong with vocally reminding him people are unhappy with certain views?

Nothing inherently wrong with it. Its a free country. But IMO, its just a bit of a pointless waste of time, thats all.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
He hasn't even started the job yet.

Trump is full of shit, he built a campaign on car bumper sticker rhetoric. Muslims are not going to be banned. There will be no wall built. Nobody will be raped in the West Wing. He's almost a cartoon character, a pantomime villain. All he's missing is a giant moustache to twirl, everyones already decided he is going to destroy the USA and probably the planet. And then the moon. THEN by all means, get the pitchforks out and lets have the protests.

But who knows, with some decent advisors, he MIGHT actually do alright ?

And here is the reason that none of his scary predictions will happen, the Republicans will close ranks and place the correct people around him to protect his wild and unpredictable side, they will not allow him to speak off the cuff and will generally have a better control of his reigns than they have for the recent past.

They changed his approach for the last two weeks of the election, and he said nothing offensive, compared to what went before. He only read from auotocue, unlike any public appearance before. They will be protecting themselves as much as they can and really only using him as a figure head, they got into power and they know they can not fudge it up from here.

I am by no means a fan of the man, in fact the complete opposite, but he has got some seriously clever people working for him that were able to deliver a win, how they managed a miracle deserves a tip of the hat, because any other person facing the negative press and scandal that he brought upon himself, would not and should not have survived.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And here is the reason that none of his scary predictions will happen, the Republicans will close ranks and place the correct people around him to protect his wild and unpredictable side, they will not allow him to speak off the cuff and will generally have a better control of his reigns than they have for the recent past.

They changed his approach for the last two weeks of the election, and he said nothing offensive, compared to what went before. He only read from auotocue, unlike any public appearance before. They will be protecting themselves as much as they can and really only using him as a figure head, they got into power and they know they can not fudge it up from here.

I am by no means a fan of the man, in fact the complete opposite, but he has got some seriously clever people working for him that were able to deliver a win, how they managed a miracle deserves a tip of the hat, because any other person facing the negative press and scandal that he brought upon himself, would not and should not have survived.
I agree with that. But just consider the nightmare his people will have trying to control him!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, it is amazing that a politician like Trump who has appeared to be so crude on many an occasion has prevailed. So surely you have to ask yourself why. Ok, you are talking about powerful people, vague as that sounds, who may or may not be able to "control" him ,as you put it, but that does not explain how he won the election. If you say that two weeks before, the autocues was changed, then I would not presume to disagree with you, but the masses voting for him, would surely have made their minds up long before that. DT set out to champion the cause of the disaffected, outside of the NY and Californian Bubble, and it has paid dividends.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Question Time tonight is manfully struggling to make sense of the Trump result. And not making much headway IMO.

This could be a great programme but consistently misses the chance for an honest discussion.....partly the panel, partly the audience, partly the Chair. Andrew Neil would be better perhaps.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Question Time tonight is manfully struggling to make sense of the Trump result. And not making much headway IMO.

This could be a great programme but consistently misses the chance for an honest discussion.....partly the panel, partly the audience, partly the Chair. Andrew Neil would be better perhaps.

Pleasing to see the tedious, liberal, chattering class type panelists getting little response when they go fishing for applause with the beastly Trump/world coming to an end comments.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
DT set out to champion the cause of the disaffected, outside of the NY and Californian Bubble, and it has paid dividends.

That’s exactly the point that is being mised her WHY are there so many disaffected people in the USA?. He spoke to those outside the NY/LA world that Clinton spoke to - the "deplorables" as she called them. The every day man and woman who have been totally screwed over by the 20 years of Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama. They have seen their livelihood go down the drain, their standards of living fall, their jobs go, prices out the roof. Clinton calling them deplorable only p!ssed them off more.

Their choices were a) Trump - a possible new start despite all the outpoints or b) Clinton - more of the same crap. You can't but help draw parallels to Brexit and the different between London and the SE and the rest of the UK. In that both of these areas (London/SE UK and NY/LA) are where for example the QE monies have gone and the pockets have been filled, without it filtering to other areas. And people are pretty sick of it. Sick of it enough to have Trump as the POTUS.

My brother has lived in the USA since 1994, he lives just outside LA but for his job he travels all over the USA regularly, in June when the came on holiday back here he predicted a Trump win and explained to me that thiese are the reasons why. He convinced me enough to have a flutter on him and I won £500.- on Trump winning.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The reality is that Hilary Clinton must have been a really really shit candidate if she couldn't beat Trump.

And we have countless examples of it over here,

Miliband, Corbyn take note.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not sure how i can spell out to you any clearer...I am not arguing with you that the US isn't pursuing its own self interest in the middle east I am simply pointing out that all the major powers are doing so. The chap in your video is 100% right, would any power be interested in intervention if this was Africa and there was no oil or strategic importance? No they wouldn't.

Fair enough, I am just tired of the cold war hangover where we are told that Russia is always the problem and always the enemy, when we go around and causing mischief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here