Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It'll make no difference. And I'd rather have him than Hilary. Presidents don't make the decisions anyway. They are puppets.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Farage is fiercely anti-establishment. He is well placed to see the corruption and deceit that goes on. He is unpopular because he goes public with it. The ruling elite hate having their feathers ruffled. Anyone who wants change is not the Establishment. The Establishment want the staus quo maintained. Its in their vested interest. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
Trump and Farage both want change.

I used to think this.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Straight from the horses mouth. Felt like a media stitch up against Trump throughout the whole campaign, I hate that. I'm not afraid of Trump. America needed a change, they got it, just like the UK.

I am not against change - in fact quite the opposite. The First shall be Last and the last shall be first to put it in biblical terms.

What worries me is the people to whom the change has been entrusted. If the vote in the UK was from disillusioned people in working class areas, they are not going to get anything out of the current Tory government, and will Trump change things in the US for the benefit of the disillusioned? If people were voting, as was suggested on one BBC report, because they have had 8 years of a Black President and now they don't want to follow that with a woman president, the implication being that they want to go back to the traditional White male figure, is that a good reason on which to vote for something?

I don't know enough about the US situation to comment definitively, but Bernie Sanders would have been a Change candidate, too, but then he would be dismissed as a "Commie".

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Please don't come on here and say some truths as the usual brigade prefer the theory. Whilst I never really detected biased BBC coverage of recent elections here, though they were accused of it, I did think that the media reporters went out of their way to have a go at Trump. True, he hardly helped himself with his sometimes crude outbursts, but they were only too pleased to raise it again and again. We were repeatedly told that he had an uphill struggle due to having alienated millions of women, Hispanics and blacks (you fill in the rest) and whilst he doubtless did to an extent, it was clearly never as bad as regularly forecast. Perhaps the Washington swamp did indeed need draining!

There are surely lessons to be learnt here. The referendum result is well known and we are seeing, however nicely dressed up as "it is only about process" attempts by the snooterati to overturn something that the plebs voted for, because they could not have known any better. "Right-wingers"/ readers of the DM and the Sun and any other journal that does not fit the pattern,are regularly denigrated on here as being thick, clueless, numpties, wacists, etc etc, despite the fact, that when it comes to immigration at least, those in working class areas where there are already high immigration levels, are the ones who will be most affected, and have the most personal experience on which to draw. Doubtless some folk in these areas do have questionable motives, but you cannot label everyone as so. Far from it.You cannot expect large sections of society to feel ignored and loyal. Another swamp closer to home might need draining . .

You seem to be saying it is understandable to be racist if you have black neighbours?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Whether Brexit and Trump voters are idiots or not, the lesson is that there are opinions that seldom get heard in parts of both the USA and UK that are relatively uncanvassed. Those of us who travel around either country and don't stay within shouting distance of the capitals know this but still underestimated the effect. Or at least I did.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well at least we can now celebrate with Brexit, Trump and a hard won victory of the downtrodden against the political elite.

We will now see the wealthy, powerful and political elite changing, losing some of that wealth and power, it being distributed more evenly amongst the populace and any downsides to these results will surely be outweighed by this ???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Farage is fiercely anti-establishment. He is well placed to see the corruption and deceit that goes on. He is unpopular because he goes public with it. The ruling elite hate having their feathers ruffled. Anyone who wants change is not the Establishment. The Establishment want the staus quo maintained. Its in their vested interest. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
Trump and Farage both want change.

One of the funniest and most incorrect posts I've ever read on here. Brilliant. Farage anti establishment?! Hahahaha! Genius.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Nothing makes sense, all the talk of blue collar, working class people revolting, so we give the power to a Tory party ruled by a cabinet of millionaires and elect a billionaire US president. people ae being conned.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Eh? How does a narcissic serial bankrupt misogynistic billionaire represent 'the people'?
Indeed, the fact that he has made it to president proves the system is corrupt!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There are surely lessons to be learnt here. The referendum result is well known and we are seeing, however nicely dressed up as "it is only about process" attempts by the snooterati to overturn something that the plebs voted for, because they could not have known any better. "Right-wingers"/ readers of the DM and the Sun and any other journal that does not fit the pattern,are regularly denigrated on here as being thick, clueless, numpties, wacists, etc etc, despite the fact, that when it comes to immigration at least, those in working class areas where there are already high immigration levels, are the ones who will be most affected, and have the most personal experience on which to draw. .

Just two points:
1. If you seek out statistics about such things, the Daily Mail has a far, far higher level of complaints being made about its content than any other newspaper - in fact possibly as much as all the other papers put together. Coupled to that, it has a far far higher % of those complaints being upheld. In other words, it is not too bothered about the facts of the matter and constantly prints lies.

2. In terms of the"it's a matter of process" comment, a major part of the argument for BREXIT was about sovereignty for many people. If you then try to subvert or ignore THE LAW OF THE LAND, that is not "democracy", it is anarchy. It will not stop BREXIT happening, it will just make sure it is achieved in the right way.

If Farage persists in his comments about leading a march of 100,000 people on the day of the appeal against the High Court Judgement, he is being stupid and only encouraging comparisons of himself to Hitler. There has been an old German Newspaper headline from 1933 circulating about this very matter and Hitler seeking to shut up the independent judiciary then. farage is descending to the same level. At least May seems to acknowledge the independence of the judiciary, even if it might be getting in the way.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It'll make no difference. And I'd rather have him than Hilary. Presidents don't make the decisions anyway. They are puppets.

that has been true to a degree, but now no longer.

The Republicans have controlled the house of representatives and the senate which is akin to coalition, President Obama struggled to force through many things as the opposition controlled the law making parts of federal government.....

No longer, you have republican lower houses, and a misogynistic, sexist, racially divisive, self serving capitalist, Putin arse licker running the most powerful nation on earth, a man who wants to tear up the established world orders security pacts with allies that have prevented Russian adventurism into Europe to fulfil Putins ambitions to reinvent the USSR, to tear up trade deals with allies, abandon key green initiatives on this planet we all live on. A loud mouthed, act first think later, fake tanned divisive buffoon, is commander in chief of the worlds current major super power, he has the nuclear codes, he has a clear path to push through legislation and the world we live and its established orders, has just become a lot more volatile.

If you thought George dubya was bad (and he was), this really takes the biscuit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here