Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** Update: Will Buckley moves to Sunderland confirmed, three-year deal **

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Should take the offer. He simply hasnt been the same since his first season and is too injury prone. 1 good game then injured for 1 month isnt good enough.

We just need to replace well, simple as that. Buckley isnt THAT good, he wasnt last season (when he wasnt injured) and he wasnt brilliant on Saturday.

I am beginning to wish I had not bought a season ticket now.

What fantastic support that is, just because we MIGHT be selling another player - we do have other players which can equally be supported you know.....

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I am beginning to wish I had not bought a season ticket now.

Injury permitting you can see Sunderland giving him a chance to play to his strengths.

Can't say the same if he stays.

His hamstrings are likely to go ping again soon i should think.

Sigh.......

I think he is a great player. Pity we are not really playing with out and out wingers though.

So another replacement maybe required.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
So according to rumours and hearsay we are interested in Paddy McCourt,if that's true, that's Buckley replaced for nothing by a player who will probably be on lower wages and in my opinion would fit better into Sami's system.

Yes McCourt is inconsistent, but guess what? So is Buckley. I believe McCourt was used as a winger by Barnsley, again its only my opinion but I think he is wasted out wide. You saw last season what he can do through the middle, play him there regularly and you just might get the consistency that he is so sadly lacking. If not, he cost nothing.

Put the Buckley money in with the Ulloa money and whatever is left of the budget and we might just be able to bring in one or two decent strikers.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hey! What was wrong with Johnny 'Noddy' Goodchild......21 goals from a winger...

It was "Granny" Goodchild by the time I was watching. I do remember Howard Wilkinson as well.

Both of them could be beaten by a divot in the pitch.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hahaha. You remember on another forum where you posted that the club didn't want to go up in the first two seasons at the Amex but are now :lolol: You said the squad was healthy? It's all hitting home now eh :lolol:

I didn't mind Upson, Ulloa and Orlandi going, but Buckley would be a downer. I did not even mind Bridcutt going, although we missed him much more than expected.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
They can put up with his constant poinging hamstrings as far as i'm concerned on his day great but tehse days are few and far between to have him on the wage bill.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I would be gutted to see Buckley go, because I have amazing memories of him and Calde terrorising left backs (Dan Harding, amazing!) when played wide under Gus. However, these are just memories and the reality is he either has lost motivation and/or fitness playing under Garcia. That may change under Sami, but can't see it as he will get played inside where he is simply not the same player as he is hugging the touchline. I would hate to see him rotting in a system that doesn't suit him. Though it would be a blow to our perceived ambitions to sell another player, if we can get £3m for him then it would be a good deal for all concerned.

I think he will go on to be a terrific player for Sunderland though under a manager who can get the best for him.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I would be gutted to see Buckley go, because I have amazing memories of him and Calde terrorising left backs (Dan Harding, amazing!) when played wide under Gus. However, these are just memories and the reality is he either has lost motivation and/or fitness playing under Garcia. That may change under Sami, but can't see it as he will get played inside where he is simply not the same player as he is hugging the touchline. I would hate to see him rotting in a system that doesn't suit him. Though it would be a blow to our perceived ambitions to sell another player, if we can get £3m for him then it would be a good deal for all concerned.

I think he will go on to be a terrific player for Sunderland though under a manager who can get the best for him.

Have to agree with you mate

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
They won't get him for £2.5m. Contracted until 2017, turned down £5m previously (apparently) and the possibility of WBA interest also. Such a shame that he hasn't kicked on (yet) but it'll take more than £2.5m I am sure.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm hoping this idea of the new training ground helping players who are prone to injuries will help him...if not and its true (media speculation from what i see) that clubs are after him...then let's get someone in first!!!!

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing

I miss that Will Buckley.
When he does that "chip the ball over the defender and put on the afterburners" bit it shows how good he is when he is confident.
Fitness issues aside, I agree with others that unless we:
a) Get a decent fee for him (let's say £5m if GP really believes he's a £10m player) and
b) We have a decent replacement lined up.

We need to not be the next Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here