Unbelievable Job - Very Big Club with Massive fanbase

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
A great job if you can put up with SERIOUS meddling behind the scenes and no control whatsoever over player recruitment.

We've had three managers resign in just over a year. THREE. The better managers are going to look at that very suspiciously.

My thoughts too. The management of the club seems bizarre. If we take yesterday's "resignation" at face value, it is an event that the fans knew had to happen well in advance. Hyypia himself on two occasions apparently tried to resign. The only people who didn't realise the seriousness of the issue were the club management - everything's fine - he's here for a long time all the players back him -- we've got a great squad - we're Premier League ready !!!

Or the whole resignation is another piece of weird spin from the Barber corporate claptrap department - and they knew a change was needed but didn't act until time is almost too short to fix it. The culture of the club, and the structure is all wrong and needs proper surgery - not just the departure of a tactically inept and poor choice of manager. Won't happen though, and this will restrict the abiity to bring in a manager who can take Brighton and it's premier league ready facilities to the top league.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
He is right, I think a lot of people would be interested, however, the sticking point will be wages,money to spend on new players and how much control/say on what players he wants and can get.

Well given that FFP is going to be relaxed in a couple of seasons' time things might be changing. Not saying that they will, as it's still TB's money, but if he wants to spend the money at least now he can gear up for it.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
So who was manager for the rest of the season? Threatening to resign and resigning are completely different.

So is wanting to leave, but still being picked to play on not performing to your ability.

See Bridcutt & Buckley

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So is wanting to leave, but still being picked to play on not performing to your ability.

See Bridcutt & Buckley

Fair comment, but Tony Bloom claims Poyet wanted to resign prior to the Palace game, and we then went on a ten match unbeaten run. Unlike Buckley, who looked disinterested, and Bridcutt, who was unprofessional in the extreme, Poyet did his job whilst he was here surely?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Tony Bloom himself told the fans that Gus offered his resignation. Regardless of the final outcome, three managers in a row have offered their resignation.
Gus wanted to resign as he felt he could move quickly into a higher level job if the new club didn't have to pay compensation. Murmurings of Fulham at the time.

The point is though, it was not really about 'problems' at the albion, more to do with Gus' ambition.

The Oscar resignation worries me more, but the 3rd resignation by Sami was simply about him doing the honourable thing.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Leave it out Jez, you're in the Premiership now and you still barely register with most football fans around the country.

if you're talking about crowd sizes then as we keep saying no one really cares about crowds. Our crowds have been c15K for so many years prior to getting promoted - basically a hard core bunch of about 10-12K saddos who had nothing else to do but get a season ticket. Add on a few thousand walk ups and the away support and there you go (depending on Barnsley then a bit lower, but say Forest then a bit higher). Been like it for years. For all the mickey taking they have had, the HF when they started, started to create a bit of an atmosphere and then after almost going bust in 2010 it galvanised even more so the atmosphere gradually improved at home. The bigger impact has been on away support since lots of 'youngens' started going away 2008 - 2011 and we were getting disproportionately bigger away support than what one would expect for our crowd sizes at home (and TBH it was more fun !).

This would have continued for years with CPFC2010 funding 5m+ losses every year mitigated by the odd profitable player sale but obviously getting promoted changed everything financially (for a few years anyway). Our home crowds are about as big as expected to be honest. STs have jumped by 5-6K and we get about 4-5K 'walk ups'. Call them glory hunters if you will but thats the pull of the Premier League. CPFC2010 have taken the view that no tickets are sold to non members without a booking history. It means that there are up to 1000 tickets that go unsold each match that could be sold with a week to go but they've taken a view to not relax the rules, which I think is the right way to go ( plus they are £40 !). Certainly makes for a better atmosphere and away fans in the home ends are mitigated.

Anyway its very likely we'll be down this season so back to the hard core again ! I know most of the Brighton fans know you've only had big crowds since 2011/2012 and maybe you will get promoted and have them for ever but its hard for us to resist chuckling at WCP reinvent history (btw has anyone actually done the freedom of info request on the Fulham match - I fear he'd top himself if it turned out there weren't 29K for that 'Championship relegation scrap')

Happy Christmas to all the NSCers and here's to many more years of childish pointless banter :)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Fair comment, but Tony Bloom claims Poyet wanted to resign prior to the Palace game, and we then went on a ten match unbeaten run. Unlike Buckley, who looked disinterested, and Bridcutt, who was unprofessional in the extreme, Poyet did his job whilst he was here surely?

Can't argue with that , the facts don't lie , but I get still get the feeling if he wanted to leave he's not 100% committed to the clubs cause. Couldn't wait to tell the world he'd reached our ceiling and was bigger than us.
Who knows, something we can only look back on and dream what could have been.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
A great job if you can put up with SERIOUS meddling behind the scenes and no control whatsoever over player recruitment.

We've had three managers resign in just over a year. THREE. The better managers are going to look at that very suspiciously.

Can't really count Hyypia as a resignation. Any manager worth their salt will see he was going and the method of leaving is all fluff. Gus was not a quick in and out, and Hyypia was backed for as long as could reasonably be expected (for many on here, much longer). I don't deny there are issues behind the scenes and the decent managers will be very up front in the interview process about this. Don't miss the fact that we have a big future and many managers will want to be associated with that.

Feb 14, 2010
Brighton fans know you've only had big crowds since 2011/2012 and maybe you will get promoted and have them for ever but its hard for us to resist chuckling at WCP reinvent history (btw has anyone actually done the freedom of info request on the Fulham match - I fear he'd top himself if it turned out there weren't 29K for that 'Championship relegation scrap')]

If you don't know that is drivel then goodness sake you are daft. I have had relatives who went to the Albion before ww2 and go to games with people whose first games at the Albion was in the mid 1940s when people turned up to the goldstone with milk bottles to use instead of toilets. I also remember the Albion being the 11th best supported club in the country in the 70s, when palace also had a support to match ours (you don't anymore). Your grasp of albinos history doesn't cut the mustard does it. So again I challenge you to make a list of clubs who would get 29000 for a championship relegation scrap in November. Your lot would struggle to get half that. After you have made your list, you might learn something about bha that even you will struggle to spin in another way.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Brighton fans know you've only had big crowds since 2011/2012 and maybe you will get promoted and have them for ever but its hard for us to resist chuckling at WCP reinvent history (btw has anyone actually done the freedom of info request on the Fulham match - I fear he'd top himself if it turned out there weren't 29K for that 'Championship relegation scrap')]

If you don't know that is drivel then goodness sake you are daft. I have had relatives who went to the Albion before ww2 and go to games with people whose first games at the Albion was in the mid 1940s when people turned up to the goldstone with milk bottles to use instead of toilets. I also remember the Albion being the 11th best supported club in the country in the 70s, when palace also had a support to match ours (you don't anymore). Your grasp of albinos history doesn't cut the mustard does it. So again I challenge you to make a list of clubs who would get 29000 for a championship relegation scrap in November. Your lot would struggle to get half that. After you have made your list, you might learn something about bha that even you will struggle to spin in another way.
Ha ha. I admit I wasn't thinking pre war. "Who do think you are kidding mr Hitler, if you've got Palace on the run....."

We were 6th best supported team in the 1979/80 season. So what ?!! Ignoring claims that you could have got massive crowds the fact is that you've had tiny crowds for over 20 years ! You've had big crowds as soon as you got the new stadium but actual nos have tumbled due to you not getting promoted. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's what happens to every club especially since lots of the new fans are new to going. Don't know why you care so much !! If you go up you'll get >25k. If you stay down they'll drift down

Feb 14, 2010
you've had tiny crowds for over 20 years ! You've had big crowds as soon as you got the new stadium but actual nos have tumbled due to you not getting promoted. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's what happens to every club especially since lots of the new fans are new to going. Don't know why you care so much !! If you go up you'll get >25k. If you stay down they'll drift down[/QUOTE]

The last 20 years there have been a few things on like boycotts, protests, sale of goldstone, lower league football, playing in gillingham, then withdrawn. Led spite that bah were regularly the best supported teM in the division, and sold out with dean for a number of years. You my friend have little or no knowledge of my club and trot out blinkered rubbish. No run along back to your plastic club with drums and goal music. As for drifting away. It's your lot who struggle to get 14000 when giving tickets away in the championship.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Brighton fans know you've only had big crowds since 2011/2012 and maybe you will get promoted and have them for ever but its hard for us to resist chuckling at WCP reinvent history (btw has anyone actually done the freedom of info request on the Fulham match - I fear he'd top himself if it turned out there weren't 29K for that 'Championship relegation scrap.

The ground was pretty packed that game and that attendance of just under 29,000 won't be far off. Must say I don't think too many other clubs in this division would get that considering how shite we've been this season.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I am old enough to remember the 79/80 season when both Palace and Brighton got promoted to the top flight. Palace won their last game to win the title with an an incredible attendance of 50,000 + Not sure how that was possible at Selhurst. However, despite where the 2 clubs stand today, in the long term BHA are in the position with the new ground ect to be the more dominet club in the near future to put the last 20 years to bed.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Can't help wondering if Gus's antics are what has currently shaped the attitude of Bloom and Barber and influenced the way the club is now run.

He did a great job at the club and seems to have been heavily backed by Bloom when he started. The players he bought and sold seemed very much his decision (Ulloa, Murray, Vicente etc) and no one really questioned the higher echelons of the club then (although Ken Brown was certainly very different to Barber).

But when he left he behaved like a complete prat, all that moaning about the board (bet he wouldn't want to go to Reading now), melodramatic response to sacking live on TV etc. Wouldn't surprise me if Bloom said "no more of that. We need more control from now" - which has led to the current broken structure with regarding recruitment. This has clearly not been helped by having duffers in the jobs created by TB, but I can't help thinking Gus may be more responsible for the current mess than he is given credit for.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I am old enough to remember the 79/80 season when both Palace and Brighton got promoted to the top flight. Palace won their last game to win the title with an an incredible attendance of 50,000 + Not sure how that was possible at Selhurst. However, despite where the 2 clubs stand today, in the long term BHA are in the position with the new ground ect to be the more dominet club in the near future to put the last 20 years to bed.

You must be old, your memory is going..... 78/79

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
you've had tiny crowds for over 20 years ! You've had big crowds as soon as you got the new stadium but actual nos have tumbled due to you not getting promoted. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's what happens to every club especially since lots of the new fans are new to going. Don't know why you care so much !! If you go up you'll get >25k. If you stay down they'll drift down

The last 20 years there have been a few things on like boycotts, protests, sale of goldstone, lower league football, playing in gillingham, then withdrawn. Led spite that bah were regularly the best supported teM in the division, and sold out with dean for a number of years. You my friend have little or no knowledge of my club and trot out blinkered rubbish. No run along back to your plastic club with drums and goal music. As for drifting away. It's your lot who struggle to get 14000 when giving tickets away in the championship.[/QUOTE]

ha ha . Great logic. ok then we would have got 30K if we'd had a new stadium and we weren't boycotting too ! How many matches were you boycotting over 30 years. You are totally cuckoo :):)

Feb 14, 2010
ha ha . Great logic. ok then we would have got 30K if we'd had a new stadium and we weren't boycotting too ! How many matches were you boycotting over 30 years. You are totally cuckoo :):)

You knowwhat is particularly irritating about you is that you trot out rubbish and even when people point out the drivel you speak, you continue to do so. The knowledge you have of my club you could write on the back of a postage stamp. The knowledge I and my family have of it could be put down in a few books. I understand you are upset that you support a club that once had a support to rival ours but no longer does (despite more success than us in the last 30 years on the pitch). That however is not our fault. Put your own house in order at Selhurst before coming on here and writing rubbish. To start with you might think about your goal music and teenagers banging drums as seriously, its embarrassing to have a rival who has fans that are that tin pot. Its just incredible also how you all go missing when you are not in the "premier league" as well. Palace have been our rivals in my life time but those I go with will remember the days before football had massive rivalries. Maybe we should go back to that because as far as I can see, Mullery was right. You are not worth a fiver. For my part, you are not the palace I remember in the 70s and if we have a rival worth their salt then its pompey, not you lot anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports