Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbelievable Job - Very Big Club with Massive fanbase

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
3 managers
One was sacked for gross misconduct, hardly walking out.
One resigned for various reasons, who then did the same to his next club and then left the one after for health reasons.
The third resigned and as yet we do not know the full reason. But he left us in the bottom 3 only winning 3 league games. A lot of the other clubs around us or above us had already sacked their managers. I think what this tells any potential manager is that he will have the backing of the board and plenty of time, which is a rarity these days.

Different terminology, but a coincidence?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Who was sacked for "Gross misconduct" and what was that "Gross misconduct"?
I never saw that reported anywhere.

Just type in Google Gus Poyet sacking and plenty of websites will explain it for you

Gus Poyet: Brighton & Hove Albion uphold Uruguayan's dismissal

Championship side Brighton & Hove Albion have upheld their decision to sack Gus Poyet for gross misconduct, following an appeal by the Uruguayan.
Poyet was suspended by the Seagulls in May and, following an internal investigation and disciplinary hearing, was sacked as manager last month.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
1. Was fired for whatever reason, but ultimately would have left to pursue a higher job in the Premier League so shouldnt reflect badly on BHA
2. Ultimately left 2 other jobs within the space of a few months so shouldnt reflect badly on BHA (Nor on him, given the reasons for leaving both)
3. Ultimately left for the sake of the club as he had won 1 game in the last 18 and only 3 in the league all season

Three very different reasons for leaving, not one has come out in the press and said that Bloom/Barber/Burke were difficult to work with (and nothing would stop them from doing so)

Apart from a confidentiality clause in a pay-off agreement?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Apart from a confidentiality clause in a pay-off agreement?

And that confidentiality clause would include not talking in general terms (not specifics) about a working relationship?

And in the case of Oscar/Sami, there would be no pay off as they both walked, so I must assume you are talking about Poyet which he clearly wouldnt be able to talk about the terms of his sacking?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Tony Bloom himself told the fans that Gus offered his resignation. Regardless of the final outcome, three managers in a row have offered their resignation.

Gus aside

Oscar left after we missed out in the play offs and since leaving us has left two other clubs. Can you see a pattern there
Sami left and we are in the bottom 3. I think his record speaks for it self. Do you really think that anybody out there would be shocked. I think most people would think he was lucky to have not been sacked weeks ago.

The next manager will know that he will have plenty of time and as Sami did, he will know what the recruitment system is. The test will be, let's see where we are in a few months and how the team play under a different manager. The reality is that we have to live within our means.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Erm, just on the subject of this thread...I saw an interview with Ronnie Moore today where he called it "great times" for Hartlepool despite them being six points behind at the arse end of div three. Yes, our squad is not Brazil '82, but if we could get a positive, vaguely tactically astute manager in...

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
And that confidentiality clause would include not talking in general terms (not specifics) about a working relationship?

And in the case of Oscar/Sami, there would be no pay off as they both walked, so I must assume you are talking about Poyet which he clearly wouldnt be able to talk about the terms of his sacking?

Presumably in the cases of OG and SH when they resigned there would be a notice period, (as is the situation with Ally McCoist), and if the club didn't want them to work out that period of notice they would have to continue paying them? - at least until they got another job. ???

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Presumably in the cases of OG and SH when they resigned there would be a notice period, (as is the situation with Ally McCoist), and if the club didn't want them to work out that period of notice they would have to continue paying them? - at least until they got another job. ???

Would they not be able to talk freely once that period is over though?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We're not a big club though are we really. Large amount of season ticket holders and attendences but that is about as far as it goes. Very much a new fan base & proper following, and seen by other fans as a team with a sense of entitlement because of a new ground.

Depends how you look at it - traditionally we are actually a third tier team but on the other hand there have been times in our history when we have attracted very decent crowds, and not just recently (twice in the late 70s/early 80s we were the 12th best supported club in the country - and that's attendance, not pretendance). We are not really a 'big' club in terms of the Premier League giants, but we certainly have the potential to be right up in the top 20 or so.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm not a fan of Mark McAdam ever since he hailed Ian Harte's "Stunning" free kick for Reading at the Amex, and only later mentioned that it might have taken "a hint of a deflection" (as it completely changed direction and sailed over whoever was in goal).

However: you can say what you like about our current predicament. But the fact is, that out of work managers- and some who are in work- will be falling over themselves to apply for the vacant Albion position. People who aren't working want jobs. People who are working want better jobs. The infrastructure here, whatever some people think about the personnel, is second to none at Championship level, and a great deal better than half of the Premier League.

We all have our feelings about the current set up. Those who might be candidates for the job don't watch the Albion every week and won't be exposed to the sort of "Burke out, Barber out" sentiments that prevail on here at times. They'll just deal in facts, and possibly a few insider tips, which you can be sure won't be based on the wild assumptions that a fair few NSC posters are prone to entertaining.

Whether the candidates who put themselves forward are of the calibre that Tony Bloom would entertain, is another debate entirely. But don't anybody for a second think that this job isn't attractive to the footballing community, because it very much is. Any manager who backs himself, and frankly you'd have to, would believe he could get us to safety, given the players and set-up.

I agree with all of that, however experienced a mangers like to have a strong day over the players they buy, particularly at this level of football. This is the key point for me. If we maintain the current set up we are ruling a lot of the good managers who might otherwise see this as an attractive job.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Depends how you look at it - traditionally we are actually a third tier team but on the other hand there have been times in our history when we have attracted very decent crowds, and not just recently (twice in the late 70s/early 80s we were the 12th best supported club in the country - and that's attendance, not pretendance). We are not really a 'big' club in terms of the Premier League giants, but we certainly have the potential to be right up in the top 20 or so.

Not convinced that it is the size of the fan base that determines whether a club can be described as 'big' - the thread title describes us as a 'big club with massive fanbase' - two different things, at least in the mind of Mark McAdam, and I suspect most people.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
It'll be an unbelievably good job if...

- The fan base actually contributed some really firey atmosphere.
- The players with undoubted potential actually showed it.
- The manager is able to get some good players in.
- Burke/Bloom/Barber allow the new manager the freedom he deserves; to pick and sign those who he identifies and sees as the way forward.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It's 'potentially' a big club.

The umber WAS messed up again, no question I don't know why this time and Im not sure how much Barber and Burke was involved but I have to accept that Bloom should know more about this than me. I don't know how hands-on Barber is. We've got the facilities and we've got the crowds. I personally don't think the squad is that bad. It just has a few big holes in it. We need strikers (Bent plus one other please), creative midfielders (but one who can work too, bye-bye Texeco!), wingers (Benno on his day, but has that day gone?) a new RB (said for last two year that Calde and Bruno as a team was too old) a back up LB (bye-bye Chicko) and at least one CB full time (Halford sounds good). The rest is OK. And for god's sake stop relying on loans!!!

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Big clubs are clubs that won things.....lots of times....or really good things.

No they are not. Wigan have won something and Blackpool & Preston North End have won lots of things. Big club is the size of the support, not the trophy. Its rare to have a club with a big support without having had trophies. That's why Brighton are a very big club, because just imagine if they ever did have some success.

Exactly what I was going to post. You can add to that list Derby County, Huddersfield, Charlton Athletic, all teams that were once in the old 1st division.
We are talking about today's standard, if you think that 24 thousand (approx average ) does not constitute being a big club, then you are kidding yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here