Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Ultra-Important for Falmer - read and act NOW ***

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Bwian said:
How can places like Darlington, Oxford, Bolton, Stoke, Middlesborough, Sunderland and other cities grant planning permission for new stadia without missing a heartbeat yet we get f***ed over and over again?

In the case of Oxford and Darlo it nearly crippled them and that was without throwing £m's at the whole planning process.

This is just a fecking arse, I am so angry.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Is there any way we can get the decision delayed for a couple of weeks? Seems like we need the extra time to get organised.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'll add to the above that I will not stand by and allow The Albion to fade into the history books because of the actions of one pencil pusher.

I sense a huge protest march is needed and needed quickly.

Who's up for it?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My blueprint - just get writing, never give up. Copy by all means/change where you want to. I'm practically crying as I write, boiling with anger at one man's injustice. It cannot be allowed to happen. Tell everyone and make it your first job of the day. Do it now.

Mr John Prescott,
Deputy Prime Minister
26 Whitehall
London
SW1A 2WH

February 4th, 2004

Dear Mr Prescott,

REF: Falmer Community Stadium Planning Application in Brighton & Hove

I am writing with frustration and anger at the local plan inspector’s report tonight.

COMPELLING FACTS HAVE SIMPLY BEEN CASUALLY DISMISSED. HOW CAN ANY DEMOCRACTIC DECISION BE MADE FAIRLY BY SUCH AN INJUSTICE?

The timing of the report is appalling. Your final decision is imminent after YEARS of tireless hard work and campaigning by thousands of people, not to mention millions of pounds of precious resources, dedicated to this application. In its support; Brighton and Hove City Council have fully endorsed it, the largest petition in the county’s history has been hand delivered to you, a local referendum was found in its favour by a large majority…What is compelling is the overwhelming support the application has received at a local level. Tonight this appears to have been breezed over, making the Public Enquiry a near farce. The report is nothing short of scandalous and is outraging tens of thousands of people like myself, who yet again write to express our views.

How many more letters must we write to convince central government that the majority of people in the city of Brighton and Hove and Sussex want a 21st century sports facility and the enormous benefits it will inject into the local area; both social and economic?

· The Inspectorate’s report ignores the very real difficulties of finding such a suitable site in the conurbations area. An exhausted search has already been conducted over the past 4 years. Falmer is the only location.

· It does not reflect the overwhelming support for the stadium project at Falmer and the immensely detailed consultation process undertaken before site selection

· It does not reflect Brighton and Hove Albion’s need for a new stadium nor the clubs importance both nationally and locally

· It ignores the huge number of jobs and opportunities for education and skills training the project would develop

· It ignores the applications attention to pioneer sustainable transport to access the site

· It ignores the FACT that Falmer has the least environmental impact of any of the initially proposed sites.

I hope at this late hour in the application’s process, that such an unfair and undemocratic report does not influence your better judgement. It would be a travesty if it did Mr Prescott.

Yours sincerely,

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
email sent , letter about to go

i'm not sure how relevant letters from abroad are, I stressed I would be moving back very soon

what shit news to wake up to:(

FALMER FOR ALL

PRESS RELEASE
Thursday 5 February 2004
---------------------------------------------------------------
Less than 7 days to save the Albion

During our long campaign, we have amassed over 62,000 petition signatures and over 45,000 votes of support (67% of votes cast) in a City Referendum for the proposed new Community Stadium for Brighton & Hove Albion at Falmer. In addition, last December, Des Lynam & Fat Boy Slim visited 10 Downing Street to deliver over 6,200 individual letters of support personally addressed to the Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott.

Yet despite this overwhelming show of public support, a report by the Local Plan Inspector on the City of Brighton & Hove’s new Local Plan has this week summarily dismissed the proposals. The final decision though now rests with John Prescott and is expected within a matter of days.

Chairman of the Falmer For All Campaign, Paul Samrah, said “Every great City needs a Stadium – it is vital for the community and for Brighton & Hove Albion. We are shocked at the Local Plan Inspector’s report. For that reason, we are now imploring football fans from all over the country to write or email John Prescott one final time. In 1997, Fans United helped save the Albion after the Goldstone was plundered – now 7 years on, Fans United can help deliver a future for our 102 year old Club. Full details are on www.seagulls.co.uk. This 7 day campaign is critically important - quite simply, no Falmer – no Brighton & Hove Albion.”

Ends

Background note to Editors

Plans were submitted to Brighton & Hove City Council for a Community Stadium at Falmer in October 2001. The Council approved the application by 11 votes to 1. The application though was ‘called in’ for a Public Inquiry, this concluded in October 2003. The Deputy Prime Minister, in his capacity as First Secretary of State will publish his decision any day now, having received the Planning Inspector’s report.

For further information, contact:

Paul Samrah, Chair FFA

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How about an online petition to get the numbers up quickly? Bounce it round all the league clubs and print it off and send it to Prescott. Letters too, of course.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
E-mails sent to both JP and the Argus...

So, please excuse my ignorance, but does this report represent the findings from the public enquiry... if so, this is a ridiculous recommendation to JP from a severely misguided individual...

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I didn't know about this until I got a text from Yorkie I'm gutted. I have printed off some of the draft letters and will send off a letter in my break at work.

The petition is a good idea.

Shankly Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Littlehampton
Letter and email sent.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
I've lost touch with local Brighton & Hove politics recently, but surely we can mobilise the councillors in the areas around the station and Sheepcote Valley. I can't imagine them being happy about a stadium being built there.

I see a ray of hope here - it reminds me of the Government's recent White Paper on Aviation. Firstly, indicate that you could be considering all sorts of unsuitable sites for new Airports (eg: Cliffe, in Kent), then eventually plump for additional runways at Stansted and Heathrow, and everyone's relieved.

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
E mail sent to JP, letter to be sent later this morning and I've sent Sky Sports a text.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Only found out about this on the radio on the way into work this morning.
I was really looking forward to the Wycombe game. Now I Kind of feel like I've been punched in the stomach.

Letter from me being sent. Work colleages and friends to be harrased shortly.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
5 letters just sent off by myself, my brother, my mum, brothers other half and a workmate, will be badgering anyone I talk to today into signing a letter, I have printed out a load of draught copies ready for them to sign.

Last edited:

Also, to be perfectly honest, I cannot see how Falmer CAN NOT NOT be approved (if that makes sense). It is the only suitable candidate for a stadium.

This new report is obviously a HUGE spanner in the works, but we have the B&H City Councils backing, and I am sure that there will be a huge outcry.

I am not too worried just yet. For some reason, I cannot help but think that this is a lot of hot air (And I hope I am right).

Just my opinion though.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
email and letter sent. Im glad I didnt know about this last night as there was nothing I could do until Im at my desk now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here