Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa wants out?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think he tries hard enough, yes he has all the attributes but he moans, goes down too easily and irritates the feck out of me a lot of the time. He is a big guy and capable of much more than he gave for most of last season IMO, hence my disappointment.

However given the apparent complete lack of ambition shown by the club so far this close season and in the January window I would not blame him for one minute if he wants out unless he is given assurances that we will be signing some quality players before the transfer window closes. I'm half inclined to ask for a transfer myself :wink:

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So why didn't we when we signed CMS? Grabban only went for £3 million because he had a clause in his contract. If Ulloa wants to leave and we get an acceptable offer, we should let him go but don't underestimate how hard it will be to sign a replacement.

Agree with you Finchers on this, didn't it take us 18-months odd to get Ulloa. Think a replacement if one is required will be just as big a job

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agree with you Finchers on this, didn't it take us 18-months odd to get Ulloa. Think a replacement if one is required will be just as big a job

Absolutely. It's the key position for all teams and there's a lot of competition. I realise they have to let him go if he wants to leave but we need to be realistic about getting a new striker.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why the biggie?
After he came back from his injury, he shirked every tackle, missed every header and rolled around the floor a lot. He never had pace. We could buy 2 better forwards for £3.5 each (Grabban cost less for example)

:thumbsup: accurate assessment

Add:
Lost 90% of aerial balls played up to him against journeyman centre-halves, despite supposedly being strong, tall and heading a strength.
Nonstop whinging at refs when fairly muscled out in challenges, so losing their sympathy when later fouled, as a cry-wolf.

Let us stitch LCFC up for as much as we can, as soon as can, to add to Hyppia's transfer budget.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Add:
Lost 90% of aerial balls played up to him against journeyman centre-halves, despite supposedly being strong, tall and heading a strength.
Nonstop whinging at refs when fairly muscled out in challenges, so losing their sympathy when later fouled, as a cry-wolf.

Let us stitch LCFC up for as much as we can, as soon as can, to add to Hyppia's transfer budget.

Didn't score, of have any meaningful impact, in 4 play off games when it counted.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Didn't score, of have any meaningful impact, in 4 play off games when it counted.

scored a pretty decisive goal to get us there ...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
scored a pretty decisive goal to get us there ...

Got on the end of an inch perfect cross and nodded one in from 6 yards. Right place at the right time, yes; but it doesn't make him worth 7 million.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Got on the end of an inch perfect cross and nodded one in from 6 yards. Right place at the right time, yes; but it doesn't make him worth 7 million.

It does if some-one wants to sign him... then if he goes he can be as gash as he likes

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes and Yes. I'm not particularly flush with cash either, especially after Brighton Races this afternoon, but happy to wager £20 with you on the terms above. As you say, it might not happen at all. But if it does...

No and No. Nobody's indispensable. We go again.

OK, we're on.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Add:

Or how about scored more than double any other player in our squad despite missing a third of the season through injury and hardly getting any service in many games. But lets just get rid of our top scorer because NSC says he is rubbish.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
We could buy 2 better forwards for £3.5 each (Grabban cost less for example)

No we couldn't.

Grabban scored 15 goals (not including penalties) this year. He's had 1 good season in his career, and he's 26. I'd be very skeptical if we spent £3m on a player on the back of one good season, we spent that on CMS on the back of 3/4 good seasons, and most would say he's been disappointing given what we paid.

Oh, and anyone who thinks you sell a player for £7m and can instantly afford 2 x £3.5 million players is looking at things extremely simplistically. A £3.5m signing would probably command higher wages than Ulloa is on, let alone paying for 2 of them.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No we couldn't.

Grabban scored 15 goals (not including penalties) this year. He's had 1 good season in his career, and he's 26. I'd be very skeptical if we spent £3m on a player on the back of one good season, we spent that on CMS on the back of 3/4 good seasons, and most would say he's been disappointing given what we paid.

Oh, and anyone who thinks you sell a player for £7m and can instantly afford 2 x £3.5 million players is looking at things extremely simplistically. A £3.5m signing would probably command higher wages than Ulloa is on, let alone paying for 2 of them.

This. Best leave to the experts none of which are on NSC!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Absolutely. It's the key position for all teams and there's a lot of competition. I realise they have to let him go if he wants to leave but we need to be realistic about getting a new striker.

Not sure I completely agree about the key position. Were no Barcelona but they played without a striker for a long while and did reasonably well.
The goalkeeper is vitally important IMO.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No we couldn't.

Totally agree. Norwich have the money to gamble £3 million on Grabban as they have parachute payments, we don't. He was also only that price because of a release clause.

For what it's worth, given what's happened with CMS and Ulloa, I think we'll look abroad to replace Ulloa if he leaves. I can't believe the number of people wishing he would leave given his record for us and the time we took to find a quality striker.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Totally agree. Norwich have the money to gamble £3 million on Grabban as they have parachute payments, we don't. He was also only that price because of a release clause.

For what it's worth, given what's happened with CMS and Ulloa, I think we'll look abroad to replace Ulloa if he leaves. I can't believe the number of people wishing he would leave given his record for us and the time we took to find a quality striker.

I'm not sure people just want him to leave, but feel that the prices that have been offered would benefit us more than keeping him

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not sure I completely agree about the key position. Were no Barcelona but they played without a striker for a long while and did reasonably well.
The goalkeeper is vitally important IMO.

Look at the season before last and the points we got pre Ulloa and after he signed. I don't think we played that differently in the second half of the season but we had a striker who could finish off the chances. We were about 10th at Christmas and topped the league in the second half of the season. Ulloa was a huge part of that difference.

To further back up my point, teams pay the most for strikers, which illustrates my point.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm not sure people just want him to leave, but feel that the prices that have been offered would benefit us more than keeping him

Read back over some of the comments on this thread and you'll see what I mean. If the price is right and he wants to go, I would sell him but people seem to be assuming we'll replace him easily, which I don't think is true.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Read back over some of the comments on this thread and you'll see what I mean. If the price is right and he wants to go, I would sell him but people seem to be assuming we'll replace him easily, which I don't think is true.

Your probably right, but for 7M I'd be selling. I wasn't particularly Impressed with some of his performances at the back end of last season and I think that 7M is a great price to get for him.
Do I think he can be replaced, absolutely. Who with? I don't know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here