Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa for sale!!

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Absolutely ridiculous rejecting Ulloa on the basis he has no pace.

He's much better than any of our current strikers. A good finisher and strong in the air. Imagine being a pair of centre backs and having to mark Ulloa and Murray/Hemed together. With the players we have down the wings and their crossing ability we'd be very strong going forward.

Pace is helpful, but isn't everything. Would be very hard to stop us once we get men in the box. Ulloa would be one of the best strikers in the divison, something we don't currently have.

Ulloa is not better than Murray. Murray's record in this division was also far better.
Ulloa would be a waste of money for us right now. People have very rose-tinted specs about Ulloa, his record wasn't on the same level to some players in this division. He worked at Leicester last year and the one before because he had the pace of Vardy running off of him, that is what we need running off of Murray's knockdowns.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Ulloa is not better than Murray. Murray's record in this division was also far better.
Ulloa would be a waste of money for us right now. People have very rose-tinted specs about Ulloa, his record wasn't on the same level to some players in this division. He worked at Leicester last year and the one before because he had the pace of Vardy running off of him, that is what we need running off of Murray's knockdowns.

I still maintain Ulloa is better. Bar the Hyypia season, Ulloa played up front on his own in the poorest attacking side we have had in recent years. With little/no support up front. Yet still scored goals. Oscar set up to defend and our success was based on the defensive record, left to Ulloa to take goals when he could.

Murray did so well that year as Palace played well to his strengths and had the players to do that. He has since aged, teams have worked him out (see Newcastle) and we won't play to his strengths the way Palace did. Basically, he's not scoring 30 odd goals again, is he?

Ulloa on the other hand, top striker, peak of his career in the strongest side we've had.

Them together = handful. Can't believe anyone would say no. Who better would you get? Deluded.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
I still maintain Ulloa is better. Bar the Hyypia season, Ulloa played up front on his own in the poorest attacking side we have had in recent years. With little/no support up front. Yet still scored goals. Oscar set up to defend and our success was based on the defensive record, left to Ulloa to take goals when he could.

Murray did so well that year as Palace played well to his strengths and had the players to do that. He has since aged, teams have worked him out (see Newcastle) and we won't play to his strengths the way Palace did. Basically, he's not scoring 30 odd goals again, is he?

Ulloa on the other hand, top striker, peak of his career in the strongest side we've had.

Them together = handful. Can't believe anyone would say no. Who better would you get? Deluded.

Murray is a far better finisher, if you're questioning that then you haven't watched them both play.

Murray's strengths at Palace were through good wingers putting the ball into the good positions he put himself in. As you've just said that is our strength. Murray's game was never built around pace, so his age is hardly an issue.

We lost at Newcastle because we lost the midfield battle, we rarely won last year when that happened, it's why Stephens is so vital. Murray isn't to blame for that result.

Putting Ulloa alongside Murray would make us lethal from set pieces but no more so than with Hemed alongside him. Let's be honest a box with Hemed/Dunk/Duffy in is going to score goals from set pieces.
The issue is that Hemed/Murray/Ulloa all play the same style of striker role, they will all go for the same balls and positions and that's why only one of them would work on the pitch at once, as it has showed with Hemed/Murray so far.

2 first team players for one position is good, but 3 all on good wages and all wanting to start would be an issue, we'd be too 1 dimensional and would run out of options fast.
The striker we need in Nahki Wells.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Ulloa didn't play under Hyypia.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Ulloa left before Hyypia joined didn't he?

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Hyypia comment was in relation to the poorest side we had - not Ulloa.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Not convinced he's a far better finisher, possibly slightly, but not far.

I'd say age is an issue, why wasn't Zamora the same as a few years ago. Become weaker, injuries more common, and pace over first few yards is important.

We did lose the midfield battle, but a large component on that was our inability to hold the ball up. Usually Murray would hold the ball up to give the midfield chance to support. Almost every ball was won by the centre back, or immediately won by the defensive midfielder once Murray had brought it down. We had almost no outlet leading to so many constant attacks from Newcastle. Kayal and Sidwell didn't have sufficent time to recover.

Murray and Hemed appear to have struggled together so far. Not sure on reason for that. Hemed and Zamora played very well together last season in my opinion - not sure if Murray and Hemed will be able to recreate that.

I reject that Ulloa wouldn't work with the other two until you see them play, as above, it worked with Zamora, shows you can't tell until it happens.

Dont understand your point with 3 on good wages, whats the difference between Ulloa and Wells in that respect, same position, similar wages. (Though I'd obviously love us to sign Wells!)

Need a top striker, that's where I feel we'll struggle. Can't afford a barren spell like last autumn with the stronger attacking sides in the division this year. (Look at Newcastle, Hull, Villa compared to Burnley, Boro and Hull)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't understand if the financials could work why taking Ulloa on loan for the season wouldn't be good for us and him and Leicester. Would certainly make us stronger up front and for him he would be playing football not sitting on a bench every week.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Even if there were legs in this, and I'm entirely certain it's a complete non starter, how would we adapt Leo's song given that we should be mentioning Murray, now he's back playing (and scoring) for us?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Even if there were legs in this, and I'm entirely certain it's a complete non starter, how would we adapt Leo's song given that we should be mentioning Murray, now he's back playing (and scoring) for us?

That's killed this one for good. It simply can't happen now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Er simples "..............and he will play with Murray forever more"

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not going to happen but people don't think Murray and Ulloa up front wouldn't tear up this division?

A combination of them two off the supply of Knockeart, March, Murphy and Skalak.

Wow.

Too similar, they would get in each others way. I actually have nagging doubts about Murray and Hemed playing together too. You need a player with a bit of zip to play off a big target man, to offer something a bit different.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Too similar, they would get in each others way. I actually have nagging doubts about Murray and Hemed playing together too. You need a player with a bit of zip to play off a big target man, to offer something a bit different.

Like a Knockeart you mean? With March replacing him on the wing.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Ulloa was a cut above any other striker we've had since we moved to the Amex. He single handedly scored for fun in a very poor side. He could create a goal from very little and won everything in the air.

I'd happily see him return and play him up top in a 4-5-1 and he would score bucket loads in our current squad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here