Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] ULEZ Booooooooooo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Every time I think I’ve understood how stupid Sunak and his chums are, they find a whole new level. 😳
When you remember this one simple fact, everything else slots right into place.

Rishi owns a Santa Monica beachfront penthouse apartment and currently isn't in his Santa Monica beachfront penthouse apartment.

In my mind it is physically impossible for him to out stupid himself, beyond that.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I have a similar issue to a few on this thread: I own a 2012 Deisel car, zero tax on it <99 emissions and so now I literally cannot enter London in my car, can’t afford to change car at this point so what’s to do? Forced to pay an ULEZ fee every time…

I’m aware Deisel is seen as the ‘dirty’ fuel now but I bought a diesel at the time because we were being told it was the way to go, luckily enough I don’t drive to London often but I have friends who live in outer parts of London who I visit occasionally who I feel really sorry for.

Seen a few posts up someone said if you can’t afford to own a ULEZ compliant car you can’t really afford a car, what a load of bollocks, in addition to this the value of diesel cars will now decrease as well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Whatever it is I’m against it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I have a similar issue to a few on this thread: I own a 2012 Deisel car, zero tax on it <99 emissions and so now I literally cannot enter London in my car, can’t afford to change car at this point so what’s to do? Forced to pay an ULEZ fee every time…

I’m aware Deisel is seen as the ‘dirty’ fuel now but I bought a diesel at the time because we were being told it was the way to go, luckily enough I don’t drive to London often but I have friends who live in outer parts of London who I visit occasionally who I feel really sorry for.

Seen a few posts up someone said if you can’t afford to own a ULEZ compliant car you can’t really afford a car, what a load of bollocks, in addition to this the value of diesel cars will now decrease as well.

Your diesel car is likely to have a px value of between £1500 and £2500 depending on condition, vehicle history and what the car is.

Searching on auto trader gives 2300 options for you to swap to today with a maximum price of £2500 (many are significantly cheaper)

My advice would be to put your car details into we buy any car or Motorway which gives you a baseline price you can definitely achieve, then look at vehicles in that price range.

It needn’t cost you a penny. I’ve swapped cars a few times in the past with either no money changing hands, or even ending up with me holding some cash as well as px’ing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Tories are trying to make political capital out of ULEZ. Yet half of Londoners don’t own a car of which only 1 of 10 have non compliant vehicles.

So what’s worse a levy of 5 percent of Londoners or the stealth tax on the whole working population as tax bands are frozen year after year despite raging inflation?

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
So working at Heathrow and commuting in my 2003 diesel. I was angered at the thought of having to buy a compliant car on Friday. But bit the bullet shelled out £3000 on a petrol mini.
Not alot I can do, either pay £12 a day, change jobs ( I love my job), or buy a car.
Just to put it into context it is estimated that over 1/3rd of Heathrow workers have non compliant cars which is roughly 50,000 staff. Heathrow may be very quiet and there may be a few delays if the staff dont play ball.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So working at Heathrow and commuting in my 2003 diesel. I was angered at the thought of having to buy a compliant car on Friday. But bit the bullet shelled out £3000 on a petrol mini.
Not alot I can do, either pay £12 a day, change jobs ( I love my job), or buy a car.
Just to put it into context it is estimated that over 1/3rd of Heathrow workers have non compliant cars which is roughly 50,000 staff. Heathrow may be very quiet and there may be a few delays if the staff dont play ball.
I actually sold a 2002 petrol car to someone last month that worked at Heathrow and lived in Slough. His diesel was a lot newer

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As of November 2022, TfL estimated the proportion of compliant vehicles within the whole of Greater London stood at 90.5%, up from 88.5% in May 2022.3

Outer London currently has the lowest proportion of ULEZ-compliant vehicles, with just 85% estimated to be meeting the standards as of January 2023.4

That’s 8.5 out of 10, not a third.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Where's the logic in that? The assumption seems to be that if you support motorists, you must by definition be opposed to cyclists and disabled non-drivers and the rest. And by the same argument, presumably, anyone who supports users of public transport must automatically hate disabled drivers and motorists.

It's rubbish. This is clearly an area where you can support both. If Carlton Read has taken the trouble to read even the barest outline of the story he is commenting on, he would know that Sunak is taking the motorists' side against councils and others who are putting unnecessary obstacles in their way. Not against other road users.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yup, absolute nonsense all round. If you have a car at all, there is a ULEZ compliant part-ex available to you at any price point across the market. Or, if you really must pollute, then pay your £12.50 a day and enjoy smogging it up. Round our neck of the woods, Bristol and Bath have introduced zones, Cardiff are in the process of introducing ULEZ.

Cities are understandably protecting themselves and their inhabitants. If you don’t want to pay the charge, get the train, or get a compliant car.

There will be an ever shrinking list of possible destinations for any non-ULEZ vehicle. It hasn’t been possible to buy a new mass-market vehicle that isn’t ULEZ compliant for 7 years, which is around the time expensive repairs start being required, and there are ULEZ compatible vehicles going as far back as 2001, though 2005 was when the emissions law made all new mainstream petrol vehicles compliant.

This is a potential issue for 1 in 10 London households, and any sensible household will have px’d their vehicle prior to the charge coming in. I confidently predict that by the time of the next general election, this will be a complete non-issue because anyone affected who needed to make a change, will have done so, and Londoners will be perfectly happy with their improved air quality thank you very much.
It's 1 in 10 in the areas affected by the expansion. The scheme is supported by the majority of Londoners.

There is more than sufficient public transport which is cheap.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
It's 1 in 10 in the areas affected by the expansion. The scheme is supported by the majority of Londoners.

There is more than sufficient public transport which is cheap.

Apologies, and I accept the correction. The fact remains that it’s a non-issue. There’s a colossal supply of compliant vehicles to switch to for those affected at any price point, and as you say, London has a highly effective public transport network.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Apologies, and I accept the correction. The fact remains that it’s a non-issue. There’s a colossal supply of compliant vehicles to switch to for those affected at any price point, and as you say, London has a highly effective public transport network.
Let’s say everyone whose vehicle does not comply simply paid the charge when using their car how is this making any difference to the environment? It’s purely a money making scheme. One of my clients lives in the current Ulez zone and pays the charge because he likes his car it’s nonsense from Khan.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Let’s say everyone whose vehicle does not comply simply paid the charge when using their car how is this making any difference to the environment? It’s purely a money making scheme. One of my clients lives in the current Ulez zone and pays the charge because he likes his car it’s nonsense from Khan.

It’s nonsense from Johnson, extended by Khan. I agree that there will be some whose commitment to their vehicle and secure financial position will cause them to simply pay the additional £4500 each year without changing their vehicle. However, they will be a minority, most would rather have an extra £4500 in their pocket. It’s a strong incentive to switch to something less polluting.

The idea is quite simply to get the most polluting vehicles out of areas with high air pollution, improving the health of all Londoners and visitors to London. It’s not an unreasonable aim, and its party politicisation is unhelpful and extremely cynical, with the Conservative Party seeking any issue at all that they can weaponise and use as an opportunistic attack.

The fact remains that you have to work increasingly hard to find vehicles that aren’t compliant with ULEZ, the vehicles that aren’t compliant are dwindling in number month by month, there’s a massive stock of ULEZ compliant vehicles available for those affected to swap to, and it’s not just London that doesn’t welcome non-compliant vehicles, many cities will begin charging polluting vehicles over the next few years.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s nonsense from Johnson, extended by Khan. I agree that there will be some whose commitment to their vehicle and secure financial position will cause them to simply pay the additional £4500 each year without changing their vehicle. However, they will be a minority, most would rather have an extra £4500 in their pocket. It’s a strong incentive to switch to something less polluting.

The idea is quite simply to get the most polluting vehicles out of areas with high air pollution, improving the health of all Londoners and visitors to London. It’s not an unreasonable aim, and its party politicisation is unhelpful and extremely cynical, with the Conservative Party seeking any issue at all that they can weaponise and use as an opportunistic attack.

The fact remains that you have to work increasingly hard to find vehicles that aren’t compliant with ULEZ, the vehicles that aren’t compliant are dwindling in number month by month, there’s a massive stock of ULEZ compliant vehicles available for those affected to swap to, and it’s not just London that doesn’t welcome non-compliant vehicles, many cities will begin charging polluting vehicles over the next few years.
My original point on this subject is if the government are taking this seriously then just ban all non compliant vehicles if it’s as low as the 10% people are saying then it shouldn’t be that much of an issue. I believe it’s more and they know it’s going to bring in millions a year .
The expansion costs to extend the zone have cost £115m Khan knows full well he will have to cover the outlay and make a profit.

Last edited:

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
My original point on this subject is if the government are taking this seriously then just ban all non compliant vehicles if it’s as low as the 10% people are saying then it shouldn’t be that much of an issue. I believe it’s more and they know it’s going to bring in millions a year .

The best thing the government could do to reduce congestion would be to improve the reliability of train services and subsidise rail and bus services to the extent that fares are a third of their current levels. It’s a national disgrace that it’s cheaper to drive and park than use the rail service.

I think the ULEZ zone expansion will be initially lucrative, but the revenue raised will fall dramatically year on year. That will actually confirm its effectiveness.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The best thing the government could do to reduce congestion would be to improve the reliability of train services and subsidise rail and bus services to the extent that fares are a third of their current levels. It’s a national disgrace that it’s cheaper to drive and park than use the rail service.

I think the ULEZ zone expansion will be initially lucrative, but the revenue raised will fall dramatically year on year. That will actually confirm its effectiveness.
Agree train fares are disgustingly high compared to other European cities, I live in Surrey and it probably cost me a tenner in petrol for three of us in a car to drive to the football and back compared to near on £60 return for the same trip by train.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
What will happen once the number of non-compliant cars reduce and revenue falls. No doubt they will change the criteria to keep the pennies coming in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here