Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] UK and Ireland to bid for Euro 2028 but not World Cup

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why would we put a plan in place for something that might never happen? Surely you get the thing and then have years to plan for it, rather than plan for it for years and then don't get it?
Not if getting the thing is conditional on the plan having been successfully implemented. You won't 'get the thing' on a promise that you'll try and think of a plan later. The reality of the situation is that after last summer at Wembley the decision about Euro 2028 is out of our hands, and UEFA won't give it to us anyway.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'd like to see us either bring back the Home Internationals or host a biannual summer Le Tournoi style 4 team tournament.

The authenticity of the grassroots football culture in the UK can't be beaten.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Putting aside the valid conversation over fan behaviour, on a general level I find it sad that we’re increasingly unlikely to ever host a World Cup again.

Feels like the willingness to even consider bidding for it is gone. At least for another decade or so.

One turn, in 1966, and that’s it for England/UK, apparently.

Very much this and it makes my piss boil that we see countries like the US of ****ing A hosting again in 2026. A country that has only had a major soccer league since 1993.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not if getting the thing is conditional on the plan having been successfully implemented. You won't 'get the thing' on a promise that you'll try and think of a plan later. The reality of the situation is that after last summer at Wembley the decision about Euro 2028 is out of our hands, and UEFA won't give it to us anyway.

UEFA will give it to whoever makes them the most money.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pretty gutted, we are overdue hosting the WC. Starting to wonder if it will ever happen

We hosted the Euros in 1996 and pretty much did last year as well. Thought UEFA had moved away from hosting in one country?

The problem with the World Cup for European nations is the rotation which puts them at a disadvantage. Added to that, there are more and more countries that can host a tournament, whether combined or not.

The UK may be one of the best for stadiums and infrastructure, but the only consideration is capability. And every 16 years there are a host of European nations that could hold it.

Only Germany has held it more than once since the war. So there is a lot of competition. This doesn't include the prospect of other combined efforts. So we are not really hard done by.

My understanding was the EURO 2028 in England was always on the cards originally when the FA stepped aside in a deal with Germany over 2020 & 2024.

If they can be shown to have got their act together, there is no reasons why it wouldn't be looked upon favourably. The Germans said would back us.

That said, if Italy came in, or even a Balkans or Scandi bid, there may be competition.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ultimately it will be the various national associations who will submit their votes to decide the host nation. Personally I think we're more likely to get Eurovision song contest votes than votes to host the Euros.

As governing bodies are set on continued expansion of the the number of teams, there are going to be fewer and fewer countries capable of hosting on their own. This combined with antipathy to national white elephant vanity projects means that the model going forward I think will be regionally hosted tournaments.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is a travesty that we cannot get another World Cup. The USA would have held it twice now since we have in 1966.

Given France, Germany seem to keep getting given them despite far worse crowd trouble than seen here, it is typical anti-English agenda again.

That said as a travelling England fan, I'd be happy to keep them as far away as England as possible. Russia, Ukraine, South Africa were all far better experiences than France or Germany in my 18 years of travelling to major tournaments...

Only Germany has held it more than once since the war. So there is a lot of competition. This doesn't include the prospect of other combined efforts. So we are not really hard done by.

USA in 1994 and 2026?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Very much this and it makes my piss boil that we see countries like the US of ****ing A hosting again in 2026. A country that has only had a major soccer league since 1993.

To be fair if you listen to Sky we've only had it since 1992...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pretty gutted, we are overdue hosting the WC. Starting to wonder if it will ever happen

Won't happen until we strike oil in Devon and can buy it like everyone else does.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Won't happen until we strike oil in Devon and can buy it like everyone else does.

Better still find oil on the Isle of Wight and host it there, with 8 new stadia, cruise ships for accommodation, a few hundred construction workers killed, hold it in February in case it’s too warm in July. Come on FIFA, you know you want to!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fish oil? There’s a lot of fish rotting on the docks in Cornwall these days. Put it to use.

Yoda

English & European
Be interesting to see what cities host.

Probably London, Dublin, Cork, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and Newcastle.

Outside of England, the only stadiums that currently qualify capacity wise are Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (73,931), Celtic Park, Glasgow (60,411), Hampden Park, Glasgow (51,866), Aviva Stadium, Dublin (51,700), Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow (50,817) & Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff (33,280)

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Outside of England, the only stadiums that currently qualify capacity wise are Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (73,931), Celtic Park, Glasgow (60,411), Hampden Park, Glasgow (51,866), Aviva Stadium, Dublin (51,700), Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow (50,817) & Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff (33,280)
If the GAA allow it to be used Pairc ui Chaoimh in Cork has a capacity of 45,000.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is a travesty that we cannot get another World Cup. The USA would have held it twice now since we have in 1966.

Given France, Germany seem to keep getting given them despite far worse crowd trouble than seen here, it is typical anti-English agenda again.

That said as a travelling England fan, I'd be happy to keep them as far away as England as possible. Russia, Ukraine, South Africa were all far better experiences than France or Germany in my 18 years of travelling to major tournaments...

USA in 1994 and 2026?

France has only had one World Cup since the war.

I was referring to European countries. They are at a disadvantage.

I think England has only missed out on a couple of Euros it bid for (wouldn't have got anything in the 80s because of crowd issues), but got last year's top package as a trade off.

France and Germany are better appointed, but Wembley is the most hosted ground for European club finals over the years. It's back again in 2024. Of the 60 odd European Cup finals, 12 or 13 have been in the UK

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

New stadiums can be built or current one expanded.

We’d probably see two venues in each Scotland and Ireland and probably just one in Cardiff.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
In terms of hosting major tournaments? Yes, for a while. What happened last summer was seriously bad. So have we turned a corner? Well we've still got fans launching assaults on players on the pitch, lobbing bottles etc.

Other countries deserve it more. We need to take a look at ourselves and get to grips with some of the problems in society before we should have another crack.

Football violence exists in a most countries you do realise. Many countries much more frequently and violent than this country. You only have to look at some of things that have happened across the channel in France this season to see that.

What happened in the summer was disgraceful but all countries have societal issues one way or another

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You forgot Murrayfield, Croke Pk could also be used.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
If the GAA allow it to be used Pairc ui Chaoimh in Cork has a capacity of 45,000.

plus Croke Park of course with a capacity of over 80,000

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here