Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uckfield

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I didn't.
My brother took me the back way it took about 15 minutes. My tank was totally empty and when you brim it the difference between 99p & 107p makes quite a difference, otherwise I would not have bothered for a few pence.
Funny thing is I ended up paying the same as I would have done in Heathfield as my idiot of a brother forgot that the Tesco in Uckfield does not have a petrol station.
So I went through all that aggro and it even cost me for the pleasure.

I just remember some advice I was given by an old guy when I started driving, he said " never drive out of your way to save money on petrol "

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Is the Hare and Hounds still there?

Yes I think so. I moved out 11 years ago to Horam, but from what I've heard it is always changing landlords. I

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The town centre is certainly better than Crowborough's (Crowborough has a tiny town centre for a town of 25,000 or whatever it is).

Crowborough also appears to have no mobile signal at any point in the town centre. I remember trying to phone Mrs G to say that we were going to be late back and not able to get a signal for about 45 minutes, finally getting one at Uckfield. It wasn't a fluke as a couple of weeks later, I was in Crowborough again and had to go the leisure centre to use their phone as there was no signal. I'm used to getting no signal in rural areas but having no mobile coverage in a town centre is totally bizarre - at least you can use a mobile phone in Uckfield

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ok, quick précis.
I am originally from T wells and in my 50's so I have passed through Uckfield on many occasions, even down the high street before the by pass and always thought it was a nice quiet Sussex town where not much happens, but that was some time ago.
I was visiting my brother over the week end who lives in Heathfield, having driven from Plymouth my tank was empty so I asked if there was any 99p petrol around as the local station was 107. He said we would have to go to Uckfield and he would come with me to show me the quickest way...

I didn't.
My brother took me the back way it took about 15 minutes. My tank was totally empty and when you brim it the difference between 99p & 107p makes quite a difference, otherwise I would not have bothered for a few pence.
Funny thing is I ended up paying the same as I would have done in Heathfield as my idiot of a brother forgot that the Tesco in Uckfield does not have a petrol station.
So I went through all that aggro and it even cost me for the pleasure.

Uckfield's not that rough to warrant you driving around in a tank, shirley?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Never understood the vast amounts of snobbery over towns. A quick google finds this about Plymouth

Devonport is awful and Keyham is also pretty bad (what with it bordering North Prospect aka Swilly aka Scumville).

I would personally suggest looking outside of Plymouth and commuting in. There are a fair number of developments built specifically for this purpose.

If you must live in Plymouth, some of the nicer areas are Derriford, Hartley and Mannamead. Some people seem to love Plympton but I don't personally see why. More than happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I've worked in and around Uckfield for 5 years and have lived in Hailsham for over 10 years and never had any problems. Maybe if I lived in Town Farm or Diplocks then I would. So a bit like Whitehawk or Moulsecoomb or St Leonards or Brixton or Blackbird Leys or Moss Side. Does that mean that there are no nice places to live in or benefits of Brighton, Hastings, London, Oxford or Manchester?

And, FWIW, before the Supermarket's price war on petrol, the Applegreen in Uckfield is normally one of the cheapest around.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Getting to/from Uckfield is a big problem. No decent roads; miles to a motorway; terrible train service.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Every town seems to have it's fair share of drivers who think they own the roads and can do nothing wrong. It seems like you ran into two of Uckfield's in a few minutes.

Uckfield is pretty lawless as far as vehicles are concerned. Pavement parking, parking on double yellows or on junctions is the norm rather than the exception. With no enforcement and the Police not interested, the High Street can be a free for all. As a previous poster has pointed out, with the anticipated High Street 'improvement' works due next year, it's probably only going to get worse.

Mind you, there was a classic bit of parking in the town's main car park yesterday, where someone decided that the pedestrian path between parking spaces was the ideal place to park their Volvo!

Crap Parking in Uckfield.jpg

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Wasn't Uckfield featured in a book called 100 crap towns?? When i lived thier there where no Palace fans but two weeks ago i went to maccy d's amd two of them walked inso i would imagine its moved up some positions. Im going over tomorrow to see my folks will report back then
Uckfield was alright in my youth but i didnt know any better till i left really but most of my mates supported us(Brighton) and i still see them now as i did at goldstone withers and amex . They are cinque porters though

Tbere

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've played football and have many friends in Uckfield and never met a palace fan - lots of BHA and one of the Seagulls over Burwash coaches goes via Uckfield - this Palace thing is an utter myth!!!! (Maybe there's some that are part of the new 10k fans that go to games now at CPFC2010 Franchise stadium?)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Must admit I'm baffled by the Palace comments. Lived here for 5 years and not noticed many if any. More in Tunbridge Wells

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here