Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uckfield

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ok, quick précis.
I am originally from T wells and in my 50's so I have passed through Uckfield on many occasions, even down the high street before the by pass and always thought it was a nice quiet Sussex town where not much happens, but that was some time ago.
I was visiting my brother over the week end who lives in Heathfield, having driven from Plymouth my tank was empty so I asked if there was any 99p petrol around as the local station was 107. He said we would have to go to Uckfield and he would come with me to show me the quickest way.

On entering the town, I pulled into a petrol station and as I did a lady reversed out from my left and I had to swerve quickly as she would probably have hit me, she just carried on, I looked over at her, she was probably in her 40,s, she gave me the 2 fingers and the w****r sign and was hollering abuse.
I lost the plot and blocked her in at the exit and was about to get out and sort her out but my brother advised me not to, so I carried on down the high street.
Looking in my mirror I had this really crappy car right up behind me, who pulled along side, winding down our windows this young lad and his girlfriend were giving me pelters saying that she was nowhere near me, I told him that I just swerved as it looked like she was going to hit me and I was just avoiding her, and that he did not see what she was doing and saying from her car. I told him to mind his own business, wished him a merry Christmas and he went off.
I filled up at another station which was the same price as Heathfield (no 99p petrol in Uckfield) and set of back to Heathfield.
Leaving the town, I was driving along a road with parked cars and side roads on the left.
I saw a car stop at one of the side roads and just as I was about to go past at 20mph he pulled out right in front of me, I had to slam the brakes on. He stopped and wound down his window and was giving me the dogs abuse, 2 fingers and the w****r sign, again. He was in his 50's.
I could not believe what was going on, I had only been in the place for 15 minutes and honestly had done nothing wrong to get this treatment.
I said to my brother "what the hell is going on, I don't remember Uckfield being like this years ago"
He was laughing and said " welcome to Uckfield, thank god you are not in Hailsham"

Now I know things are different these days, places have changed and so have people, but Uckfield?, Skelmersdale maybe, is this typical, I don't get this in Plymouth and parts of this City are very rough.
Was I just very unlucky. I am no pussy, but I was shocked, and all in just 15minutes.

And it's still about 2.4million times nicer than Heathfield.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ok, quick precision...

Uckfield has its fair share of knobs, but it sounds like you were unlucky, or driving poorly yourself!

Edit: quite likely if you had just driven to Uckfield from Plymouth via Heathfield, you probably needed a break!

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
tbh this behaviour is standard for Uckfield. You probably met a descendant of one of the older Uckfield families too! ��

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Uckfield has its fair share of knobs, but it sounds like you were unlucky, or driving poorly yourself!

Edit: quite likely if you had just driven to Uckfield from Plymouth via Heathfield, you probably needed a break!

How can you drive poorly just pulling into a petrol station?
I was only going about 10mph.
And what about the other 2 incidences?
I was a bit tired from the drive, I admit, and I regret blocking her in as I lost the plot, but tired or not I do not allow some old bag giving me that abuse when I did nothing wrong.
From entering Uckfield to the petrol station and then back out again it is impossible to drive badly, too much traffic and roads with parked cars etc.
If I had deserved it I would not be posting it.
If Hailsham is worse than Uckfield then it must be really bad.
Why is Heathfield so bad? my brother said it has its problems but nothing like Uckfield/Hailsham, but then maybe he would as he lives there (some nice people down the Runt In Tun though)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ok, quick précis.
I am originally from T wells and in my 50's so I have passed through Uckfield on many occasions, even down the high street before the by pass and always thought it was a nice quiet Sussex town where not much happens, but that was some time ago.
I was visiting my brother over the week end who lives in Heathfield, having driven from Plymouth my tank was empty so I asked if there was any 99p petrol around as the local station was 107. He said we would have to go to Uckfield and he would come with me to show me the quickest way.

On entering the town, I pulled into a petrol station and as I did a lady reversed out from my left and I had to swerve quickly as she would probably have hit me, she just carried on, I looked over at her, she was probably in her 40,s, she gave me the 2 fingers and the w****r sign and was hollering abuse.
I lost the plot and blocked her in at the exit and was about to get out and sort her out but my brother advised me not to, so I carried on down the high street.
Looking in my mirror I had this really crappy car right up behind me, who pulled along side, winding down our windows this young lad and his girlfriend were giving me pelters saying that she was nowhere near me, I told him that I just swerved as it looked like she was going to hit me and I was just avoiding her, and that he did not see what she was doing and saying from her car. I told him to mind his own business, wished him a merry Christmas and he went off.
I filled up at another station which was the same price as Heathfield (no 99p petrol in Uckfield) and set of back to Heathfield.
Leaving the town, I was driving along a road with parked cars and side roads on the left.
I saw a car stop at one of the side roads and just as I was about to go past at 20mph he pulled out right in front of me, I had to slam the brakes on. He stopped and wound down his window and was giving me the dogs abuse, 2 fingers and the w****r sign, again. He was in his 50's.
I could not believe what was going on, I had only been in the place for 15 minutes and honestly had done nothing wrong to get this treatment.
I said to my brother "what the hell is going on, I don't remember Uckfield being like this years ago"
He was laughing and said " welcome to Uckfield, thank god you are not in Hailsham"

Now I know things are different these days, places have changed and so have people, but Uckfield?, Skelmersdale maybe, is this typical, I don't get this in Plymouth and parts of this City are very rough.
Was I just very unlucky. I am no pussy, but I was shocked, and all in just 15minutes.
uploadfromtaptalk1450724766629.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And it's still about 2.4million times nicer than Heathfield.

Oi!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tbf both towns are nice enough. Not great to go out in but nobody does that anyway as they go to the many nice pubs in the surrounding villages. Uckfield does have a good high street for its size tbf. I don't find either place particularly chavvy at all, although I am related to most of Heathfield :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
We moved to Uckfield from South London, 45 years ago. At the time my wife and I were working in Streatham and driving up each day across Ashdown Forest. During our very first trip, we passed chicken walking in the road by the Maidens Head hotel, sheep in the road by Buxted Chicken and deer running across the forest road. We never saw any of those again during the following two years.

Another memory is of the Picture House. At the time it had the conventional single screen with stalls and circle seats. We would often go in to find the cinema cat occupying one of the seats.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I like Uckfield. It has everything you want really but it does have its fair share of chavs....probably more then i've seen anywhere else.

House prices are low, railway and bus links, decent shops but hardly any boozers.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A guy I used to work with lived there for a while. He was originally from Wolverhampton. One day the postman put a letter through his door that had been addressed to "The Wolves fan who lives in Uckfield". That was it, no post code, street name or actual name. At the time I was impressed but, on reflection. it makes it seem a little Royston Vasey.

So the fact that shell suits have become so popular in Uckfield is solely down to your Wolves supposting mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here