Uber Brighton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber's licence to operate in Brighton expires next Friday. They say that they have applied to the Council to renew it, but a date to deal with the application has not yet been set.

Their intention when first granted the licence a year ago was to operate in compliance with the Council's private hire vehicle regulations. These require vehicles to meet certain standards and drivers to be registered with the Council and be DBS / CRB checked.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Orpington to Tunbridge Wells, late Saturday night, last trains cancelled, offered £50 for a cab, was told no-one would do it for less than £100.

Few weeks later missed last train to T Wells, could get to orpington, signed up to Uber on the train, met at the station, got back for around £28-30, account set up so don't need to mess around finding cash either. What a contrast, be a while before they make there way to T Wells I suppose

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are several other similar cases going through the system right now and MPs are looking into this as well: this is not just a one-off.

Personally, I'm delighted with this and hope it sticks. It shouldn't hit the genuinely self-employed but the false self-employed. I speak from bitter experience here: about seven years ago, my employer told me it was shifting me from paid employment to self-employed and cutting my salary accordingly. I still had to do the same amount of work but I would gain by not having to travel to London and I was 'free' to take on other work - this freedom was illusory though as I didn't really have much time to do any more.

I've since learned that what the company did was illegal and that HMRC are clamping down on companies who do this. The Uber decision is just one part of this process: I'm sure there are going be a lot more

I don't doubt it for a minute but this ruling, in isolation, will certainly not spell the end of Uber as the poster I quoted suggested. It's a preliminary hearing which they are going to appeal, giving them plenty of time to come up with plan B. As per my later post I'd also prefer that they fixed this by paying their workers decently and flattening the fairly large curve between high and low availability fares, using the app's convenience and the quality of their cars as a USP.

Also agree you were treated appallingly. However, aren't Uber drivers fully aware that they will be "self employed" when they take the job, rather than being illegally transferred?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Uber's licence to operate in Brighton expires next Friday. They say that they have applied to the Council to renew it, but a date to deal with the application has not yet been set.

Their intention when first granted the licence a year ago was to operate in compliance with the Council's private hire vehicle regulations. These require vehicles to meet certain standards and drivers to be registered with the Council and be DBS / CRB checked.

I was rather curious about the expiry issue. Are they squeaking in just under the expiry date so they can show they're using it for the renewal?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I wonder if the City Council will apply the same stringent and thorough checks that they do for our ever growing population of Private Hire/Hackney Carriage drivers in Brighton & Hove........

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't doubt it for a minute but this ruling, in isolation, will certainly not spell the end of Uber as the poster I quoted suggested. It's a preliminary hearing which they are going to appeal, giving them plenty of time to come up with plan B. As per my later post I'd also prefer that they fixed this by paying their workers decently and flattening the fairly large curve between high and low availability fares, using the app's convenience and the quality of their cars as a USP.

Also agree you were treated appallingly. However, aren't Uber drivers fully aware that they will be "self employed" when they take the job, rather than being illegally transferred?

Even if the decision is upheld, it won't be the end of Uber, As you said, the company will be working out ways to comply and stay profitable.

And yes, there are some drivers who would be happy to be self-employed but I'm sure there are others who wouldn't be (I saw a survey the other day that suggested 25% of self-employed would rather be employed). I suspect that some happy medium will be struck where Uber employ some drivers and also maintain a pool of self-employed ones. I think there'll be a few big shake-ups in employment law in the coming months - interesting times ahead.

I was rather curious about the expiry issue. Are they squeaking in just under the expiry date so they can show they're using it for the renewal?
Presumably they can only provide the service if they can find drivers who are registered with the City Council. If they are launching at 4.00pm today, this gives them fourteen minutes.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Presumably they can only provide the service if they can find drivers who are registered with the City Council. If they are launching at 4.00pm today, this gives them fourteen minutes.

I would assume they've already found drivers. They prime the pump before launch, so they can have plenty of capacity.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So, the 4.00 launch didn't happen then.

"Brighton
Uber is currently not available in this location BACK TO RESULTS"

Did the tribunal decision delay it?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
just trying to sign up, however you need a verification text from them,to activate your account. I have now requested 3 times to "resend" text but nothing yet.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Is that definite? I thought they had until next Friday to trigger their one year licence, which they are doing today. That is what my cab driver told me this morning.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The website still telling me that Uber is not available in Brighton

That 'launch' went well then

Is that definite? I thought they had until next Friday to trigger their one year licence, which they are doing today. That is what my cab driver told me this morning.

I'm relying for my information on a story in the Brighton and Hove News. But you may be possibly be right. In 2015, the Council certainly awarded Uber a licence for one year. The start date isn't confirmed in the minutes of the Licensing Committee panel.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
... even though they were telling the local press, only three days ago, that "Currently, we do not have a timescale for our Brighton operations" ?

This all seems a bit moot given they've not actually launched at 4pm by the look of it. But I can certainly imagine they'd talked to registered drivers to find interested parties, even if they didn't have a concrete timetable.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One car showing up intermittently.

a39a176e9eb715d90e5705790acf9384.png

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I'm relying for my information on a story in the Brighton and Hove News. But you may be possibly be right. In 2015, the Council certainly awarded Uber a licence for one year. The start date isn't confirmed in the minutes of the Licensing Committee panel.

I was going to say that renewing implies the clock is ticking (and has nearly run out), but I suppose it'd make sense to get ahead of the game in terms of renewals if the 1 year only starts from start of operations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports