Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I had one hell of an Uber driver in Chicago. He picked me up at O'Hare Airport terminal 5 BA. It took almost an hour and a half to get to the Condo off Milwaukee Ave due to heavy traffic on a Thursday at 10:00 p.m. Chicago seems full of traffic congestion at all hours. I didn't even notice how long it was because he kept answering all my questions about Chicago and where everything was located.When we got to the condo I asked if he could take me to a near by market to buy some items so I could stock up the condo. He turned off the Uber app after helping get my baggage into the condo and took me to the market. After shopping for over 20 minutes I thought he would be gone but the driver was still waiting there in his Toyota Camry. He helped me get the market items in his car and then get them into the condo. Then he took me to Wrigleyville and we talked sport the whole way. I did throw him a twenty but I don't think he would have minded not getting paid a tip. After all he had great company. :thumbsup:

Current exchange rate is £16.44,would you do that ?

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
Uber can only use brighton and hove licenced drivers and abide by the Hackney Office blue book rules and regulations they will have to use drivers with a CRB check, proper insurance including public liability , hackney drivers can not drive for them so only private hire drivers can,they will have to give 25% of their fares to Uber, why would any PH drivers leave their company, give up their radio data unit to give away 25% of their earnings, Uber fare Montifiore Hospital to Gatwick £55 hackney for 4 people £40. they will also price surge during the early hours, so please download the app give them your credit card details but make sure the Uber car has a brighton and hove licence on the boot

Uber can only use brighton and hove licenced drivers and abide by the Hackney Office blue book rules and regulations they will have to use drivers with a CRB check, proper insurance including public liability , hackney drivers can not drive for them so only private hire drivers can,they will have to give 25% of their fares to Uber, why would any PH drivers leave their company, give up their radio data unit to give away 25% of their earnings, Uber fare Montifiore Hospital to Gatwick £55 hackney for 4 people £40. they will also price surge during the early hours, so please download the app give them your credit card details but make sure the Uber car has a brighton and hove licence on the boot

The irony is, though, that the continuing deregulation of the private hire vehicle trade is getting us into a situation in which it will be legal for PVHs licensed in one licensing area to operate as PVHs inside another area. How Brighton & City Council imagine that they can control this remains to be seen.

There are already PVHs licensed by Lewes District Council operating in Brighton as PVHs, with drivers who have never set foot in Lewes district being licensed by LDC.

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
The irony is, though, that the continuing deregulation of the private hire vehicle trade is getting us into a situation in which it will be legal for PVHs licensed in one licensing area to operate as PVHs inside another area. How Brighton & City Council imagine that they can control this remains to be seen.

There are already PVHs licensed by Lewes District Council operating in Brighton as PVHs, with drivers who have never set foot in Lewes district being licensed by LDC.

yes they all get their work from City Cabs , if you drop in brighton you are allowed to take work over the radio if a job is offered to you but you are not allowed to plot up and wait for work once you have dropped you must go back to your licenced area ie Lewes

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's all about the apps now, whether it be getting a takeaway or going to the gym or calling a cab. If it's not via your phone, it's nothing at all. It's all about the phone. More than a bit pitiful really :rolleyes:

yes they all get their work from City Cabs , if you drop in brighton you are allowed to take work over the radio if a job is offered to you but you are not allowed to plot up and wait for work once you have dropped you must go back to your licenced area ie Lewes
That's the way City Cabs play it. Who is to say whether Uber will do the same?

The rules laid down by Lewes District Council say this:- "Since a hackney carriage is permitted to be used for private hire purposes a passenger may be collected from another area on a pre-booked basis, although plying for hire is strictly prohibited".

I take this to mean that a taxi or PVH licensed by Lewes DC is permitted to be used for private hire purposes outside Lewes district. This would allow a driver to obtain an LDC driver and vehicle licence and work for Uber in Brighton, without complying with Brighton & Hove's Blue Book rules (which are far more stringent than the LDC rules).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Use Uber in London for the convenience. Never had a problem and although not cheaper than my local, much cheaper than a black cab. The traditional cabs have just failed to keep up. I've got a cab in Brighton on a few occasions and was shocked by the price and I'm used to paying London prices.

The problem with black cabs is they are expensive and don't have a unified app. Countless times I've been told they won't go there. I'm afraid the Knowledge is an anachronism with Sat Nav. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If uber prices go up with demand, then presuming getting away from the Amex will cost a fair bit. Or is that not how it works?

Will probably be OK. The vast majority of people are daft enough to join a queue at the Amex, no matter how long it is. The main problem would prob be arranging a picking-up point.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I guess most peoples main concern when taking a cab is 'how much is this going to cost me?'
Lots more to it than that though in a community/social sense.Trustworthiness, registration, DBS checks. A knowledge without relying on satnav. Fluent English in understanding as well as speech. Understanding of our laws (ie guidedogs) and above all checkable roadworthy insured vehicles obviously including public liability for phv. A vehicle displayed ID and number should be registered with the council and the police.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
lTrustworthiness, registration, DBS checks. A knowledge without relying on satnav. Fluent English in understanding as well as speech.

None of which you get from a hackney cab in Brighton anymore

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
None of which you get from a hackney cab in Brighton anymore

Frightening isn't it when young women alone and plastered are trying to get home after 2.30am.

I was once a cabbie in Hove/Brighton myself. Rules were much tighter without slackness and deregulation once upon a time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Frightening isn't it when young women alone and plastered are trying to get home after 2.30am.

Indeed. Which is good why everyone has a choice

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Also a big Uber fan, never more so than in Florida this past Summer where we used it almost exclusively, saving on getting a rental car for most of the trip.

(I've removed your referral code because if everyone did this, NSC would be an utter spamfest)
Team Bozza. Also fell in love with uber in Florida in the summer.

And then again two weeks ago when I was a dirty stop out at two in the morning in central London. I managed to get back to Redhill (shared half the journey) for the princely sum of 22 quid at that time of day. That is the last time I use a black cab or crappy minicab for that sort of journey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here