Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tyrone Mings

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It isn't easy, is it? I don't like him. I liked Venables. But to lose a semi and a final meant....he had to get there, though. I worry about my confirmation bias (Southgit).

But I do think the stripe tinted spectacles and Dunk and Mings fuel a rather futile narrative.

In some respects Southgate is just a few defeats away from being another Aidey Boothroyd....

I blame the FA. If only they had the sort of vision we have at The Albion.....

So, who should be the next England manager I wonder? Who is the top English manager right now? Potter? Sm'Eddie? Now that we have left the EU he can't be foreign....

<sigh>

:thumbsup:

I think there are fans at every club who think one of theirs should be in the England squad over someone who is often getting picked by Southgate. I don't think it's a Brighton fan thing when it comes to Southgate, you only need to look back to the awful set of results in the national league thing (including being booed off by the kids that got to watch the italy game). Through the whole tournament sections of the fan base were against him. Yes, the results made it worse. But it started early on. Some journalists wrote pieces about whether his progressive politics have turned some fans. Fans have been itching to turn on him, and those results provided them an excuse. I don't know if the journalist is right, I imagine it's true for some. Just as 'not picking my player' was true for some. I also think for some, it's just that he's been here a while and not won a trophy (ignoring that he's come closer than anyone else for a while).

It's far to simple to boil it down to brighton biases, when people across the England fan base are are unhappy with him.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It isn't easy, is it? I don't like him. I liked Venables. But to lose a semi and a final meant....he had to get there, though. I worry about my confirmation bias (Southgit).

But I do think the stripe tinted spectacles and Dunk and Mings fuel a rather futile narrative.

In some respects Southgate is just a few defeats away from being another Aidey Boothroyd....

I blame the FA. If only they had the sort of vision we have at The Albion.....

So, who should be the next England manager I wonder? Who is the top English manager right now? Potter? Sm'Eddie? Now that we have left the EU he can't be foreign....

<sigh>

:thumbsup:

Southgate has very high emotional intelligence and has done a great job getting players who were scared playing for England to enjoy it again. But he’s tactically inept. What England need now to go to the next level is someone with similarly high EQ but also good tactical nous. But there’s only one English manager with those credentials…

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think there are fans at every club who think one of theirs should be in the England squad over someone who is often getting picked by Southgate. I don't think it's a Brighton fan thing when it comes to Southgate, you only need to look back to the awful set of results in the national league thing (including being booed off by the kids that got to watch the italy game). Through the whole tournament sections of the fan base were against him. Yes, the results made it worse. But it started early on. Some journalists wrote pieces about whether his progressive politics have turned some fans. Fans have been itching to turn on him, and those results provided them an excuse. I don't know if the journalist is right, I imagine it's true for some. Just as 'not picking my player' was true for some. I also think for some, it's just that he's been here a while and not won a trophy (ignoring that he's come closer than anyone else for a while).

It's far to simple to boil it down to brighton biases, when people across the England fan base are are unhappy with him.

Yes. I fell into the trap of that myself. Then I stepped back and considered whether it was just too easy to jump up about the Palace dweeb who won nothing as a player and looks like a low rent Graham Potter.

And I decided that I was slipping into bullying territory.

Haven't changed my mind. The recemt results were dreadful. Let's see what happens later this year. If it is embarrassing then he may have to go. A semi final defeat will not be embarrassing.

Unless it's vs Wales, obviously :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Southgate has very high emotional intelligence and has done a great job getting players who were scared playing for England to enjoy it again. But he’s tactically inept. What England need now to go to the next level is someone with similarly high EQ but also good tactical nous. But there’s only one English manager with those credentials…

Is Graham Potter.

But he will never be 'accepted' till he's won something. With a big club.

Like our governments, we English get the England manager we deserve.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes. I fell into the trap of that myself. Then I stepped back and considered whether it was just too easy to jump up about the Palace dweeb who won nothing as a player and looks like a low rent Graham Potter.

And I decided that I was slipping into bullying territory.

Haven't changed my mind. The recemt results were dreadful. Let's see what happens later this year. If it is embarrassing then he may have to go. A semi final defeat will not be embarrassing.

Unless it's vs Wales, obviously :lolol:

Personally I didn't see what the fuss was. It's a largely meaningless tournament that was only introduced to try to give meaning to entirely meaningless friendlies. Seemed to me Southgate was using the games to try new players and probably news systems, too. Which is what friendlies should be used for, imo.

But this is probably going off topic. I was just trying to highlight this isn't a brighton fans thing, it['s a football fans thing.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'd suggest you haven't watched him enough, he regularly looks totally out of his depth and has been completely over promoted at club and international level. And yes, as Brighton fans we probably notice this more and are more sensitive to it than most other fans because he gained international caps at our club captain/legend's expense.

This is no comment on his mental health, full credit to him for speaking out about it, it's great that more players feel able to be able to do that these days. He was also brilliant with the appalling racism the England players faced a couple of years and in all honesty he seems like a really good bloke.

He's just a shocking defender though, always has been and I think he's finally been found out. Hopefully whatever happens next in his career he will find happiness though.

I think this is about as fair as it comes.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Mings isn’t as dreadful as many say on here. He’s Duffy level and would be an asset to the SQUAD of most EPL teams. He just shouldn’t be starting for any team hoping to stay up, plus certainly not captaining a mid-table team and in England squads.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is Graham Potter.

But he will never be 'accepted' till he's won something. With a big club.

Like our governments, we English get the England manager we deserve.

I don’t think so. Come Christmas Potter will be favourite for the job and NSC will have done a small amount to ensure that its favourite Brighton coach might be on his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t think so. Come Christmas Potter will be favourite for the job and NSC will have done a small amount to ensure that its favourite Brighton coach might be on his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lolol: I'd forgotten about the #Potterout! contingent.

And the first thing he'd do as England manager would be to drop all the goalscoreres and replace them with creative utility operatives in a more fluid and adaptable line up.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Mings isn’t as dreadful as many say on here. He’s Duffy level and would be an asset to the SQUAD of most EPL teams. He just shouldn’t be starting for any team hoping to stay up, plus certainly not captaining a mid-table team and in England squads.

He isn't dreadful, but (to put aside any accusations of Albion bias) he's not as good a defender as either Tarkowski or Mee were at Burnley. But he fits the profile of a Southgate player, being more interested in trying to look good playing the ball out of defence than defending. Like John Stones.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Mings is shit, we all know that.

But I have a feeling that like his old England mate Lampard, Gerrard will also prove to be a shit manager.

Always so angry. I just hope one of his players doesn’t put a song he doesn’t like on in the dressing room.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Mings will leave Villa this window, clearly had a falling out with Gerrard - I reckon he is off to Everton

Looking at Villa’s defensive at set-pieces yesterday, they couldn’t do much worse, perhaps they’d improve if Mings came back in?

He is still an average bottom half EPL defender so if he wants to go, somebody will take him (on loan). Probably Fulham.

Edit: With Everton and West Ham in their next three games (they’ll win the other fixture) Villa’s start to the season is ****ed. Two teams who’ll destroy them on set-pieces.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mings will leave Villa this window, clearly had a falling out with Gerrard - I reckon he is off to Everton

They may well need him, but can they afford him?

Although he does fit their recruitment profile to a tee.
Level boss Everton singing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Full article in the quote in the first tweet

[tweet]1556290771313106944[/tweet]

I suppose whether you see this is a sign of how good Mings is, or how bad Villa are depends on your perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here