Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tyrone Mings

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No I thought about this and I still don't understand how Mings gets picked for England, he would struggle to get in the Scotland team

Anyone that's not Scottish would struggle to get into the Scotland team though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
An England squad full of followers rather than leaders, perfectly mirroring their manager, who is the inoffensive type that the FA suits all love. Personally I'm happy that Dunk and White have some time to rest and recharge their batteries, which is much more important.

yes indeed , what i was trying to put forward but you have done it far more eloquently .....**** southgate , the bubblegum in the crotch of Englands' footballing merkin....in a TAXI at 3 a.m ....no **** needs it , no **** wants it.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Nobody’s taking it away, but we had an absolutely golden opportunity, we coasted to the Semi without playing any of the strong teams and we still completely fluffed our lines, even flopped the 3rd place play off.

Agree.

Shows what a Noddy international football nation we are when we celebrate coming fourth in a World Cup. Could you imagine the Italians, Germans, Spanish or French doing the same :mad:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So Gerrard has seen what Southgate has been blind to for the last few years, that Tyrone Mings is actually really shit.

Stripped of the captaincy, clearly as he won’t be a regular.

How this League One converted left back has earnt a living as a centre back in the Premier League and gained international caps is truly one of life’s great mysteries.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So Gerrard has seen what Southgate has been blind to for the last few years, that Tyrone Mings is actually really shit.

How this League One converted left back has earnt a living as a centre back in the Premier League and gained international caps is truly one of life’s great mysteries.

Don't disagree with that on his ability. I fully agree he's limited, caveat to that I hope his mental health is ok. It was very open of him to mention his struggles. As a person hope he's ok

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Each time I watch Mings I have thought 'he's about to prove why so many Brighton fans hate him, any minute now', but he never seems to do so. So apart from stealing the England place that rightfully belongs to Dunk (sic), I haven't seen anything particulaly objectionable about him.

The stories about Mings losing the captaincy have been presented as if Gerrard wants him out, because he's shit, with no evidence. More likely the mental health issues (if this is the case) would have been the reason. The teams needs a captain, innit. :shrug:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Each time I watch Mings I have thought 'he's about to prove why so many Brighton fans hate him, any minute now', but he never seems to do so.

Its not hate of Mings. It's derision of Southgate. If what you say is true, I would suggest that you haven't watched him very often. Less often, for example than these guys:

[tweet]1437110761470504967[/tweet]

Good luck to the bloke with his mental health, but pretending that its not true that, to use WA's famous phrase about a much younger Dunk 'He's got a rick in him', does him personally no favours in getting it out of his game. Dunk still has a persistent habit of professional fouls when refusing to let a player go once beaten, but he is hardly ever caught out not concentrating, because he knew that this was a weakness in his game and he worked on it. Mings has not shown the same improvement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Its not hate of Mings. It's derision of Southgate. If what you say is true, I would suggest that you haven't watched him very often. Less often, for example than these guys:

[tweet]1437110761470504967[/tweet]

Good luck to the bloke with his mental health, but pretending that its not true that, to use WA's famous phrase about a much younger Dunk 'He's got a rick in him', does him personally no favours in getting it out of his game. Dunk still has a persistent habit of professional fouls when refusing to let a player go once beaten, but he is hardly ever caught out not concentrating, because he knew that this was a weakness in his game and he worked on it. Mings has not shown the same improvement.

Do you think we should accept that Southgate has a good reason to pick him, and let him get on with it, or do you think Southgate should be sacked for deliberately picking a poor player in contravention of all reason and logic and incontrovertable evidence that Mings is not fit to wear the shirt?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do you think we should accept that Southgate has a good reason to pick him, and let him get on with it, or do you think Southgate should be sacked for deliberately picking a poor player in contravention of all reason and logic and incontrovertable evidence that Mings is not fit to wear the shirt?

Silly binary question. Southgate has got good results from a squad that is talented in midfield and centre forward and has too many right backs but is limited everywhere else. Just drop Mings and carry on,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
When I saw this thread bounced I wondered if we were interested in his services. As earlier poster alluded to I know he has struggled massively with mental health so hope he has taken the decision well and knows it's ok not to be ok.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
To be fair to Mings, his 'statement' about this is professional and shows him to be a decent team mate. He might not be up to standard footballing wise, but comes across as a good egg.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I'm probably not the best person to ask. I'd have sacked Southgate for other reasons a long time ago. He's tactically out of his depth and has lost a semi final and a final from positions where an average EPL manager would have won both fairly easily. He seems a decent man, He's great as a spokesperson. He's very good at organising a tournament camp. He is a useless football manager with only one way of playing. He has very good players and has been lucky in his pathways through tournaments.

Having said all that, I hope he does well in the next World Cup (that we should have boycotted). Everybody seems to be suggesting GP as his successor and I'd like him to hang on for long enough for them to all go back to wanting Eddie Howe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Southgate hasn’t even called up Mings for the last few squads any way ?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Each time I watch Mings I have thought 'he's about to prove why so many Brighton fans hate him, any minute now', but he never seems to do so. So apart from stealing the England place that rightfully belongs to Dunk (sic), I haven't seen anything particulaly objectionable about him.

The stories about Mings losing the captaincy have been presented as if Gerrard wants him out, because he's shit, with no evidence. More likely the mental health issues (if this is the case) would have been the reason. The teams needs a captain, innit. :shrug:

I'd suggest you haven't watched him enough, he regularly looks totally out of his depth and has been completely over promoted at club and international level. And yes, as Brighton fans we probably notice this more and are more sensitive to it than most other fans because he gained international caps at our club captain/legend's expense.

This is no comment on his mental health, full credit to him for speaking out about it, it's great that more players feel able to be able to do that these days. He was also brilliant with the appalling racism the England players faced a couple of years and in all honesty he seems like a really good bloke.

He's just a shocking defender though, always has been and I think he's finally been found out. Hopefully whatever happens next in his career he will find happiness though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Silly binary question. Southgate has got good results from a squad that is talented in midfield and centre forward and has too many right backs but is limited everywhere else. Just drop Mings and carry on,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like a binary question. Call me old fashioned....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm probably not the best person to ask. I'd have sacked Southgate for other reasons a long time ago. He's tactically out of his depth and has lost a semi final and a final from positions where an average EPL manager would have won both fairly easily. He seems a decent man, He's great as a spokesperson. He's very good at organising a tournament camp. He is a useless football manager with only one way of playing. He has very good players and has been lucky in his pathways through tournaments.

Having said all that, I hope he does well in the next World Cup (that we should have boycotted). Everybody seems to be suggesting GP as his successor and I'd like him to hang on for long enough for them to all go back to wanting Eddie Howe.

It isn't easy, is it? I don't like him. I liked Venables. But to lose a semi and a final meant....he had to get there, though. I worry about my confirmation bias (Southgit).

But I do think the stripe tinted spectacles and Dunk and Mings fuel a rather futile narrative.

In some respects Southgate is just a few defeats away from being another Aidey Boothroyd....

I blame the FA. If only they had the sort of vision we have at The Albion.....

So, who should be the next England manager I wonder? Who is the top English manager right now? Potter? Sm'Eddie? Now that we have left the EU he can't be foreign....

<sigh>

:thumbsup:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
To be fair to Mings, when Villa played us at the Amex, he had a good game, very solid, etc. And I bet I wasn't the ONLY fan in attendance that day watching him with a hyper-critical eye just waiting for him to ;uck up.....which he didn't, even once sadly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd suggest you haven't watched him enough, he regularly looks totally out of his depth and has been completely over promoted at club and international level. And yes, as Brighton fans we probably notice this more and are more sensitive to it than most other fans because he gained international caps at our club captain/legend's expense.

This is no comment on his mental health, full credit to him for speaking out about it, it's great that more players feel able to be able to do that these days. He was also brilliant with the appalling racism the England players faced a couple of years and in all honesty he seems like a really good bloke.

He's just a shocking defender though, always has been and I think he's finally been found out. Hopefully whatever happens next in his career he will find happiness though.

I suspect its somewhere in between - he's better than we think, more useful to Southgate than we realise, and Dunk isn't as good as we think. Boring, perhaps, but most things are....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here