Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tyre advice

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
In my opinion your tyres are the one thing that keeps you on the road! ...
Well there are many things that keep you on the road. What about track rod ends, suspension joints, shock absorbers, steering rack, pinion, shaft and steering wheel?

These one-liners are straight out of the ads cooked up by the branded tyre companies.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Have just had the joyous experience of running over a rock on the M4 (not seen until looking in the rear view mirror) and immediately had that feeling of the steering pulling to one side that tells you you haven’t got away with it.

Of course one wheel nut would not come off with the supplied tool, which appeared to have been designed for compactness more than usability, so had half an hour to catch up on this thread while I waited for the RAC.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Drove back from Albania a week ago in camper with the outside third of rear tyre bald. Couldn't get a replacement without a 2-3 week wait. Drove home carefully and safely. The braking was scary so I kept space from cars in front. Someone aquaplaned about 400m in front of us at one stage. I constantly expected a blowout.
Went to Fields Tyres off OSR in Hove and they changed the tyre size all round (easier to replace when abroad now and get more grip). This is within Toyota's Specs for tyres. I blindly trusted the price without googling but now that I have I see they are as competitive as 95% online plus I got their advice.
Very happy with service and £550 price.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Drove back from Albania a week ago in camper with the outside third of rear tyre bald. Couldn't get a replacement without a 2-3 week wait. Drove home carefully and safely. The braking was scary so I kept space from cars in front. Someone aquaplaned about 400m in front of us at one stage. I constantly expected a blowout.
Went to Fields Tyres off OSR in Hove and they changed the tyre size all round (easier to replace when abroad now and get more grip). This is within Toyota's Specs for tyres. I blindly trusted the price without googling but now that I have I see they are as competitive as 95% online plus I got their advice.
Very happy with service and £550 price.
Field’s are decent, honest and the best around IMO

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Have just had the joyous experience of running over a rock on the M4 (not seen until looking in the rear view mirror) and immediately had that feeling of the steering pulling to one side that tells you you haven’t got away with it.

Of course one wheel nut would not come off with the supplied tool, which appeared to have been designed for compactness more than usability, so had half an hour to catch up on this thread while I waited for the RAC.
I had the same problem about a year ago when I had a blowout just outside Dorchester.
Happily an RAC van happened to drive by while I was struggling with it and stopped to take the last nut off with his much bigger tool.
I've been meaning to invest in something longer ever since but it only occasionally comes up.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I had the same problem about a year ago when I had a blowout just outside Dorchester.
Happily an RAC van happened to drive by while I was struggling with it and stopped to take the last nut off with his much bigger tool.
I've been meaning to invest in something longer ever since but it only occasionally comes up.
His name wasn't Pat Mustard was it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here