Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tyre advice

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I’d welcome any expertise / advice on car tyres please. I need a new rear tyre and the garage says the other rear tyre is down to 4mm so would be best to change both - because the new tyre will have 8mm tread and it could lead to uneven tyre wear. Is this BS? I know the legal limit is 1.6mm, so it seems the good tyre that still has 4mm tread will probably have a few miles left in it yet. Am I about to be ripped off in being advised to buy two? Thanks in advance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tyres, shock absorbers and brakes should be replaced in pairs ideally

No big deal if you don't change two tyres as long as they are the same brand on each axle I don't think

No doubt a mechanic poster will be along soon to confirm or refute I'm sure

I don't think that you are being ripped off as it's good advice but not essential as far as I am aware. Not sure if it would give you uneven tyre wear though as long as the wheels are balanced and the tracking is good.

2mm is the recommended level to change at

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it makes a difference at the limit. if you're driving a GTI like its stolen change both. if you're more driving miss daisy dont bother, especially on the rear.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’d welcome any expertise / advice on car tyres please. I need a new rear tyre and the garage says the other rear tyre is down to 4mm so would be best to change both - because the new tyre will have 8mm tread and it could lead to uneven tyre wear. Is this BS? I know the legal limit is 1.6mm, so it seems the good tyre that still has 4mm tread will probably have a few miles left in it yet. Am I about to be ripped off in being advised to buy two? Thanks in advance.
Do you live in the Newhaven area? ( I’m sure I have seen you mention going to Newhaven FC on the non league thread)
If you do it may be worth visiting Arrow Tyres, I have been going there for years and found them to always give great advice and service.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Depends what car you have and what your driving style is. If it’s a high performance rear wheel for 4 wheel drive then yes it’s better to change in axle sets. If it’s a bog standard front wheel drive family motor you’ll be fine with just changing one tyre

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
it makes a difference at the limit. if you're driving a GTI like its stolen change both. if you're more driving miss daisy dont bother, especially on the rear.
This, but I would say even more so. If you're Lewis Hamilton, you'll notice the difference immediately, if you're not you won't.

Keep the 4mm tyre and you should get a lot more miles out of it. Save the money for your heating, food, mortgage etc :wink:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
As long as they're not mismatched across the axle you should be fine. If you can't get the same make/model of tyre, replace them both.

Also worth mentioning that you should always have new tyres fitted to the rear of the car as well.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Do you live in the Newhaven area? ( I’m sure I have seen you mention going to Newhaven FC on the non league thread)
If you do it may be worth visiting Arrow Tyres, I have been going there for years and found them to always give great advice and service.
Another vote for these guys. The young chap in there is really helpful. I know nothing about cars and regularly go to garages expecting to be ripped off. I've Goe in there thinking I'll need 4 and been told I just need two

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Part worns are always a consideration, been buying them for years

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Another vote for these guys. The young chap in there is really helpful. I know nothing about cars and regularly go to garages expecting to be ripped off. I've Goe in there thinking I'll need 4 and been told I just need two
They had a branch in Southwick which closed and I found them good too.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Worth checking whether there is an underlying reason one rear has worn a lot more than the other.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
We all need to save money where we can.

But what price your safety, and the safety of your family and friends? Tyres are the only point of contact your car has with the road.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here