Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two weeks to go - how are you voting in the EU referendum? - Leave or Remain?

How do you intend to vote in the EU referendum?

• Leave

Votes: 125 38.5%
  • Remain

Votes: 183 56.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 17 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was a 'leave' but am now 'remain'. I don't jump off cliffs in the pitch black of night and hope the fall will be okay because someone told me it would and I'm not risking it with this vote either.

So you know exactly what the EU will do once we have given it the green light by voting remain? That is probably an even higher cliff you are being asked to jump off - voting remain is not voting for the status quo by any means.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I fancy if Hilary Clinton wins big in the USA then the 'zeitgeist' could shift towards a female UK Tory candidate - May is in the frame for that. I fancy she'd get along with Merkel too, so that would help us if we remain in the EU. It's been 26 years since Thatcher stepped down, the timing looks good for her, and by taking a moderate stance on the EU question she could be the one to reunite the Tory Party more effectively than the overtly pro-EU Osborne.

Agree - she is playing a canny game. Her outlook ("I don't much care for the EU, but it's better to be in than out") is probably the honest view of the majority. There is no way Boris could unite the party - I'm amazed he's still favourite to be the next leader of the Tory Party (although I see his odds have gone out a bit since yesterday).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If we vote to leave it is inevitable that we will go back in at some point on much better terms. It will make the whole EU much more flexible because they will have no choice.

Well if that was on the table I can see perhaps agreeing with it. I can't conscionably vote to leave the EU, it would spite so much that I have personally been working for - but I've flirted with the ideals of leave over the immigration issue. But I expect Leave will mean little tangible change in immigration numbers, and I could never align myself with the likes of IDS, Rees-Mogg, Fox, Gove, Lamont, Redwood and Boris. For them this is about a right-wing takeover of UK policy, the last thing I could possibly embrace.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Throw off the shackles.

What are these shackles?

I've just got back from 10 days in Majorca, the kids clubs at the hotel were run by a small group of young men and women in their early 20s from England, Spain, Poland and Czech - they were brilliant, a great team and my kids had the best time. And whilst I was away my office and email was being looked after by my Romanian assistant who also did a great job.

I'm sick of the negative rhetoric towards the EU. Yes, it has faults but it is generally a force for good and the sooner we vote to remain and get on with life the better.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leave will mean little tangible change in immigration numbers, and I could never align myself with the likes of IDS, Rees-Mogg, Fox, Gove, Lamont, Redwood and Boris. For them this is about a right-wing takeover of UK policy, the last thing I could possibly embrace.

What are these shackles?

I'm sick of the negative rhetoric towards the EU. Yes, it has faults but it is generally a force for good and the sooner we vote to remain and get on with life the better.

Excellent posts. Could not agree more.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So you know exactly what the EU will do once we have given it the green light by voting remain? That is probably an even higher cliff you are being asked to jump off - voting remain is not voting for the status quo by any means.

I think of EU membership more as being submerged up to our waists in quicksand. Year after year of being pulled in a direction we would rather not go until we reach a point of no return. It seems particularly careless (masochistic) for the electorate to throw a referendum lifeline away just because the Brexit escape path isn't clearly signposted.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What are these shackles?

I've just got back from 10 days in Majorca, the kids clubs at the hotel were run by a small group of young men and women in their early 20s from England, Spain, Poland and Czech - they were brilliant, a great team and my kids had the best time. And whilst I was away my office and email was being looked after by my Romanian assistant who also did a great job.

Do you really believe that the kids club would have been any different if we had not been in the EU? Or that there will be nobody from Romania in the UK?

The negatives about the EU are about political union, not Europe as a continent, and not others who live in Europe.

In what way has Europe been a force for good which could not be achieved by independant states on a voluntary basis?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What are these shackles?

10 days in Greece might have been a different experience. I think they know what EU shackles look like. 50% youth unemployment ...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I was a 'leave' but am now 'remain'. I don't jump off cliffs in the pitch black of night and hope the fall will be okay because someone told me it would and I'm not risking it with this vote either.

You could also spend your entire life being locked in a room and refusing to open the door to go outside, because who knows what's out there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Sorry, but you're fundamentally wrong.

Voting remain is ABSOLUTELY a vote for the status quo - that SQ being the UK subject to the benefits of some parts of EU legislation, and the drawbacks of others, and with a stake in the future re-shaping of that legislation.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
5% unemployment here. Will only go up if we Brexit.

They will have to take on extra court staff though,with 450,000 people needing to be prosecuted for failing to register,an offence I'm given to understand.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I don't expect the status quo to stay the same, it never does. At least by remaining in The EU we'll have some influence over what it might do.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I don't expect the status quo to stay the same, it never does. At least by remaining in The EU we'll have some influence over what it might do.

We haven't got any influence now,so what's going to change?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You could also spend your entire life being locked in a room and refusing to open the door to go outside, because who knows what's out there.

Which I don't consider being a member of The EU does to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here