Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Two or more players surrounding a match official in a confrontational manner will result in a yellow card"

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I'm strongly in favour. Yes, there may be semantics about the word "surrounding", but I think the more important phrase in the new rules is "confrontational manner". If 2 or 3 players approach the ref in a calm way I doubt that would be penalised. But if they are screaming their heads off at the ref, punish them. Even if it means a spate of yellows and even reds, if the refs hold firm and actually do this for the first few weekends I've no doubt that the players would get the message. It's a culture that has to be confronted and defeated. Young kids need to understand that it's not acceptable.

As for particularly annoying things, for me it's players not retreating at free kicks. We see it all the time -- a player is fouled. He jumps up to take it quickly to continue the momentum, but the fouler stands there in front of the ball until his teammates get back into position. It's very clear gamesmanship (the polite word for cheating).

The other thing we all hate is time wasting, especially towards the end of a game. I've read that this season, refs will adopt a World Cup-style approach and allow additional time to compensate for extended goal celebrations and too much time taken for free kicks, corners etc. So it looks like double-figure additional time. Again, I'm happy with that. I read the other day that the average actual ball-in-play duration of a match last season was 54 minutes! Thats not far off half the 90. It's got way out of hand and needs addressing.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
This probably winds me up more than just about ANY other act of gamesmanship / timewasting.

If a player boots the ball away after the whistle goes, we all know they've done it on purpose - but... they can at least PRETEND they were committed and couldn't pull out of the hoof, or PRETEND that they didn't hear the whistle, etc.

If the whistle goes and a player from the offending team picks up the ball and walks off with it, there is no justification for that - not even any tenuous one. Mandatory yellow card for that, please.
Should also get yellow for failing to move 10 yards away. Against Newcastle a player nearly always stood no more than 5 yards away in front of the ball. More often then not we will play a short sideways pass but not actually given the choice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Should also get yellow for failing to move 10 yards away. Against Newcastle a player nearly always stood no more than 5 yards away in front of the ball. More often then not we will play a short sideways pass but not actually given the choice.
And likewise Dunk is the master of throwing the ball over the nearest oppositions head if they win a free kick…

Hopefully RDZ & his team adapts to these new guidelines very quickly !

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I'm strongly in favour. Yes, there may be semantics about the word "surrounding", but I think the more important phrase in the new rules is "confrontational manner". If 2 or 3 players approach the ref in a calm way I doubt that would be penalised. But if they are screaming their heads off at the ref, punish them. Even if it means a spate of yellows and even reds, if the refs hold firm and actually do this for the first few weekends I've no doubt that the players would get the message. It's a culture that has to be confronted and defeated. Young kids need to understand that it's not acceptable.

As for particularly annoying things, for me it's players not retreating at free kicks. We see it all the time -- a player is fouled. He jumps up to take it quickly to continue the momentum, but the fouler stands there in front of the ball until his teammates get back into position. It's very clear gamesmanship (the polite word for cheating).

The other thing we all hate is time wasting, especially towards the end of a game. I've read that this season, refs will adopt a World Cup-style approach and allow additional time to compensate for extended goal celebrations and too much time taken for free kicks, corners etc. So it looks like double-figure additional time. Again, I'm happy with that. I read the other day that the average actual ball-in-play duration of a match last season was 54 minutes! Thats not far off half the 90. It's got way out of hand and needs addressing.
The only thing with lots of added time is how much of it is then lost to time wasting?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The only thing with lots of added time is how much of it is then lost to time wasting?
Good point. Refs do add extra time for that though, don't they? If a ref signals 5 minutes added, it's usually more like 7.

Which reminds me of another annoying thing. Refs always add extra extra time for a corner to be taken. Why? If the opposition try to delay the corner, fair enough. Allow time for it to be taken. But if a corner is given a few seconds before the ref is going to blow the whistle, there's some unwritten rule that says the corner must be taken. It didn't used to be like that. I remember the final whistle being blown while the corner was in mid-flight.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
And likewise Dunk is the master of throwing the ball over the nearest oppositions head if they win a free kick…

Hopefully RDZ & his team adapts to these new guidelines very quickly !

We're as bad as most others (but better than some). I absolutely include Albion in these measures. I feel embarrassed when we very obviously waste time -- even though most people around me are cheering and laughing.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The other thing that cheeses me off is where a team score a goal and scramble to get hold of the ball afterwards. This usually ends up in a clash between the scorer and defender with the defender usually getting a card. I don’t get this as the defending team should have possession of the ball for the kick off.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Its all bollocks.

They ALWAYS introduce a new set of rules / guidelines just before the season starts. There's this one, then the other day about adding time on for goal celebrations. It might get imposed a couple of times in the first few months, but will just as quickly be completely forgotten about and we're back to the usual. (see subbed/injured players leaving by the nearest touchline, goalkeepers 6 seconds, no treatment on the pitch blah blah). What a load of old bobbins.
Encios goal celebrations will add at least 3mins to each game

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing

If they add on the correct amount of time at the end, the 'leave at 85 minutes' brigade will miss about 20 minutes play

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Apart from the semantics (it is hard to see how two people can 'surround' someone), I can't see them applying this to two players... at a minimum it will take a third person for someone to get booked.
Good

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Should be the same as rugby. Only the captain can talk to the ref. I'm sure if those huge beasts can respect that so can footballers.

Footie could take a lot from rugger.
I agree. I saw some Gaalic Football on tv at the weekend. The ref gave a free kick….. the player talked back and the ref immediately moved the free kick back 10 yards . I also like the idea of a sin bin for such offences.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It'll be like the season thy clamped down on holding at corners. There will be a speight of cards early in the season, then sections (players/pundits/fans) will overegg the inconsistency, and/or the large number of people being sent off and how wrong it is to punish them when it's in response to a refereeing "mistake" (possibly an actual mistake, but, more likely, just a difference of opinion on a subjective incident) and it will gradually fade out.
It's amazing how little faith we have in the goon squad, sorry the referees and their association, to do anything properly. I agree with @beorhthelm above, but I also agree with you.

Time they worked on their credibility a bit, regardless of whatever rules are apparently in place. As it happens I still think they generally do a good job. But it's like an otherwise excellent driver who only mounts the pavement and kills someone once a month (purposefully exaggerated analogy, unapologetically channeling the spirit of Bill Shankly). The need to not keep on f***ing up is quite high. Luckily spuds imploded last season, or we would find ourselves playing in the Europa conference thingy, thanks to their wankpuffinry.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Or if they don’t how about retrospective action being taken after the game? There will be enough video evidence to show up any misdemeanours.
It wpould save ruining the match.

just a txt message MOnday lunchtime.

Maguire . . .twat, 2 yellows, have a week off, no pay. Message Ends.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Pray for Roberto.

Seriously though, all for cutting out the nonsense. It will help if the officials keep their part of the bargain by not refereeing games as badly as they did, for instance, at Spurs last season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's amazing how little faith we have in the goon squad, sorry the referees and their association, to do anything properly. I agree with @beorhthelm above, but I also agree with you.

Time they worked on their credibility a bit, regardless of whatever rules are apparently in place. As it happens I still think they generally do a good job. But it's like an otherwise excellent driver who only mounts the pavement and kills someone once a month (purposefully exaggerated analogy, unapologetically channeling the spirit of Bill Shankly). The need to not keep on f***ing up is quite high. Luckily spuds imploded last season, or we would find ourselves playing in the Europa conference thingy, thanks to their wankpuffinry.
I'm not sure if my concern is about the referees, really. My concern is them backing down when they get criticised for it, so there is part blame on them. But it more about the ebb and flow of the opinion of the footballing community (easier to type that than 'fans/players/pundits/jounalists/etc' every time).

In my corner example, I neglected to note that they started clamping down on it because the footballing community was complaining about how much it happened. When they started clamping down on it the footballing community complained it was being punished, using 'consistency' as the excuse. The consistency of them applying it was no better or worse than any of the other laws.

It just seems more palatable/effective to let officials take action on something, then complain about the consistency of officials than it is to argue you should be allowed to cheat and the ref's should not clamp down on it in the first place.

For the record, I am in favour of this clamping down on surrounding the ref and time wasting, I can just see the media making an issue out of discontent of the footballing community to the point the refs quietly stop doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here