Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Two or more players surrounding a match official in a confrontational manner will result in a yellow card"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Apart from the semantics (it is hard to see how two people can 'surround' someone), I can't see them applying this to two players... at a minimum it will take a third person for someone to get booked.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its all bollocks.

They ALWAYS introduce a new set of rules / guidelines just before the season starts. There's this one, then the other day about adding time on for goal celebrations. It might get imposed a couple of times in the first few months, but will just as quickly be completely forgotten about and we're back to the usual. (see subbed/injured players leaving by the nearest touchline, goalkeepers 6 seconds, no treatment on the pitch blah blah). What a load of old bobbins.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It'll be like the season thy clamped down on holding at corners. There will be a speight of cards early in the season, then sections (players/pundits/fans) will overegg the inconsistency, and/or the large number of people being sent off and how wrong it is to punish them when it's in response to a refereeing "mistake" (possibly an actual mistake, but, more likely, just a difference of opinion on a subjective incident) and it will gradually fade out.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Red cards for De Zerbi incoming!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Personally I'd like to see much harsher punishments for all of this sort of thing. When the refs whistle blows, you do NOT touch the ball and move away. If you hold the ball, run up to the ref, it should be a caution.

Dissent from a distance is one thing, but actively sprinting up to the ref is just intimidation tactics, and they work.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm all in favour of this. Leave the dissent to us in the stands, the players should get on with the game.

I do hope they stick with it, although I do fear it will be not be applied in a universal fashion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally I'd like to see much harsher punishments for all of this sort of thing. When the refs whistle blows, you do NOT touch the ball and move away. If you hold the ball, run up to the ref, it should be a caution.

Dissent from a distance is one thing, but actively sprinting up to the ref is just intimidation tactics, and they work.
This probably winds me up more than just about ANY other act of gamesmanship / timewasting.

If a player boots the ball away after the whistle goes, we all know they've done it on purpose - but... they can at least PRETEND they were committed and couldn't pull out of the hoof, or PRETEND that they didn't hear the whistle, etc.

If the whistle goes and a player from the offending team picks up the ball and walks off with it, there is no justification for that - not even any tenuous one. Mandatory yellow card for that, please.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
"Ignoring the Elephants in the room" is a phrase that springs to mind here...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Chelsea would never finish a game.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
This probably winds me up more than just about ANY other act of gamesmanship / timewasting.

If a player boots the ball away after the whistle goes, we all know they've done it on purpose - but... they can at least PRETEND they were committed and couldn't pull out of the hoof, or PRETEND that they didn't hear the whistle, etc.

If the whistle goes and a player from the offending team picks up the ball and walks off with it, there is no justification for that - not even any tenuous one. Mandatory yellow card for that, please.
This all day long

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Should be the same as rugby. Only the captain can talk to the ref. I'm sure if those huge beasts can respect that so can footballers.

Footie could take a lot from rugger.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

Apart from the semantics (it is hard to see how two people can 'surround' someone), I can't see them applying this to two players... at a minimum it will take a third person for someone to get booked.
Yeah, I think the "two or more" is supposed to give the ref cover to start handing out cards if they feel the situation is getting out of control. It'll be at the discretion of the ref.

A bit like the "goalkeeper can only hold onto the ball for six seconds" (or whatever it's supposed to be). No ref is actually timing that and handing out a card for time wasting on exactly six seconds. There's no "clock" like there would be in many American sports. The idea is that if the ref feels the keeper is taking the piss, they've easily done at least six seconds at the point and so the ref has the rules on his side to issue a card.

I suspect this will be enforced in a similar fashion. The ref probably won't pull out the cards unless said players are being dicks, or there really are too many, in the opinion of the ref at that time.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The solution to the intimidating the ref is very simple. Only Team Captains are allowed to approach and question the referee, unless the referee has specifically spoken to a player.

Anyone else is a straight yellow.
I've noticed in recent seasons Dunk has often pushed players away & he is the one who has spoken to the ref.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here