Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's over, we need to move on. What the city needs now is a larger local airport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great reading esp when you incorporate this little nugget from Martin Perry when he discussed the hotel proposal with Falmer Parish Council:-

FPC - We won't be objecting to the planning proposal
MP - That is good news.
FPC - Can we just ask one thing.
MP - Sure.
FPC - The hotel won't obstruct our view of the stadium, will it?

MP should be doing 30 years to life, quite how he laughed it off, is beyond me.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I wasn't on NSC back then, only picking up the information from whatever was available on local media outlets (Argus, radio etc). An incredibly interesting read and answers a lot of questions I forgot I had back then (I admit at the time I thought the Cement Works would have been a good place but I now realise that it would have been unworkable and awful).

Does anyone have any other threads as good/informative as this I can read up on?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's over, we need to move on. What the city needs now is a larger local airport.

You are of course correct (in both respects). If people want to build bridges with our former opponents then I suppose that's fair enough - just as long as Cutress, de Vecci, Baker, et al are buried under the foundations ...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't remember this at all, I guess I was living it up at university at the time. Could someone summarise what Perseus supposedly did or didn't do?!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
See I have to honest and say I can't have Perseus one bit. I've never forgotten this. Not at all.

And he will never respond to a direct question. Even a polite one. This thread makes me remember exactly how divisive and snide the whole thing got.

Appalling. And still posting as if it nothing had ever happened
They say it takes a big man to forgive and forget. I am therefore not a big man where this is concerned. Never mind, eh?

This was around the time the club were really struggling for money. Also around the time I sold DVDs of old videos to raise a few quid for the club - all wiped out and much more besides on what FG would call a Pipe Dream.

So when Judas is moaning about train problems meaning he might not go to the Amex, I am - shall we say - less than sympathetic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't remember this at all, I guess I was living it up at university at the time. Could someone summarise what Perseus supposedly did or didn't do?!

In the absence of those involved not wanting to relive the horror show AGAIN, and who could blame them, my take on it is a follows:-

Perseus wanted the new ground on his doorstep - Pende, Lancing.
In doing so he created x amount 'fantasy' hypotheses.
He then claimed innocence when these ramblings were used by those objecting to Falmer.

Each rambling cost time and money as they needed investigating through the planning procedure.

I'm happy to stand corrected.
Oh and a la BG and his passive aggressive 'I said about him weeks ago, but I know nothing about football'.
Remember the above when you read a post from P beginning words to the effect of 'it took me an extra 10 minutes to get home from the game, today'.

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Post #35 is a little unfortunate. :(

albionite

May 20, 2009
They say it takes a big man to forgive and forget. I am therefore not a big man where this is concerned. Never mind, eh?

This was around the time the club were really struggling for money. Also around the time I sold DVDs of old videos to raise a few quid for the club - all wiped out and much more besides on what FG would call a Pipe Dream.

So when Judas is moaning about train problems meaning he might not go to the Amex, I am - shall we say - less than sympathetic.

Yes can't forgive Perseus. He is a grade A tw*t and should be banned for life.

For now ignore list will have to do

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
In the absence of those involved not wanting to relive the horror show AGAIN, and who could blame them, my take on it is a follows:-

Perseus wanted the new ground on his doorstep - Pende, Lancing.
In doing so he created x amount 'fantasy' hypotheses.
He then claimed innocence when these ramblings were used by those objecting to Falmer.

Each rambling cost time and money as they needed investigating through the planning procedure.

I'm happy to stand corrected.
Oh and a la BG and his passive aggressive 'I said about him weeks ago, but I know nothing about football'.
Remember the above when you read a post from P beginning words to the effect of 'it took me an extra 10 minutes to get home from the game, today'.
Thanks - I wasn't on NSC at the time either so cheers for the summing up, although will trawl the thread anyway :thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
2 + 2 = 5 and belief in unfounded rumours is a bloody sickness.

There is no way one person can influence Even an MP or owner of a pub in Falmer) could influence a Planning Inspectorate. It i just doesn't work that way. Even an MP has a very small influence on technical legal processes. Not guilty.

Falmer is an outstanding success as a location. I did not foresee Southern Rail would be so useless. I did speak to Hill (Deputy Planning in the Govt) via Victoria Derbyshire on Radio Five saying that Falmer was a good site because it was a useless bit of worn out farming land with the essential transport infrastructure (i.e. trains) because they know that the best way of getting large number of people to venues is by train.

Furthemore, the unfounded rumours that Dale Stephens wants to leave are just made up. It is not in his interest right at the moment to sign a new contract. It is as simple as that. Burnley are unlikely to offer a better deal (or even a big transfer fee) and if a big club came in (one that will not get relegated or think they are going places before their next disaster) he will not get much playing time.

I suspect the Shane Duffy rumours are just that as well.

Last edited:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Have not read all the replies so appologies if this has been mentioned but I know for a fact that Shoreham Airport has been given the go ahead to improve the runway for next year and one company ( think it is Ryanair ) will be doing flights to europe.

??? :ffsparr:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
2 + 2 = 5 and belief in unfounded rumours is a bloody sickness.

There is no way one person can influence Even an MP or owner of a pub in Falmer) could influence a Planning Inspectorate. It i just doesn't work that way. Even an MP has a very small influence on technical legal processes. Not guilty.

Never mind the guff about Stephens etc, that's irrelevant to this thread and (as usual) just serves to cloud the issue. What I'm curious about, with your persistant talking up of Pende as a viable alternative at the time, is this:

Whatever infrastructure costs lots and lots of dosh. I am not under any illusions about this and it is easy to underestimate the cost which will be be at least £10 million, unless the highways department can put in a south-north relief road (this is unlikely because it would mean putting a bridge over the railway line).

NMF3a.jpg

Railtrack (or whatever they are called now) will not put in a railway station unless they can attract at least 250,000 passengers a year.

So you're acknowledging spiralling costs whilst talking about the notion of putting in a north-south relief road, and also acknowledging the fact that there's not a cat in hells chance of ever getting a railway station built there. Your numbers look plucked from the sky to me as well, but for arguments sake lets go with them.

So given that Falmer is served by (a) a major dual carriageway and (b) already has a railway station on site, what exactly was your reasoning for persistently championing Pende over Falmer ? Genuine question.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Have not read all the replies so appologies if this has been mentioned but I know for a fact that Shoreham Airport has been given the go ahead to improve the runway for next year and one company ( think it is Ryanair ) will be doing flights to europe.

As for the Cement works, is that not owned by our old Sponsors Sandtex

Shoreham Airport certainly cannot be expanded now because there is a training ground in the way. It was never on because of technical problems with the runway approach (CAA rules). Smallish planes can still travel to France and I think they do anyway. Probably enough to take football team on a journey to Newcastle if Gatwick is not more suitable.

Cement Works is owned by Hargreaves. Transport infrastructure is so poor it was not even considered as a land refuse dump.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
what exactly was your reasoning for persistently championing Pende over Falmer ? Genuine question.

That's easy: he lived nearby

I must say that I'm not totally happy about this ganging up on Perseus, it looks a bit like victimisation. Yes, he droned about Pende and yes, he's a grade one twit but I don't think there was any evidence that he was actually working with the likes of FPC and Baker. He was just putting ideas into their head.

Obviously, that was less than helpful but other people (BG) were talking about the cement works without attracting anything like the malice. And there were plenty of people on here, still talking about Waterhall, some time after the club had put all its eggs in the Falmer. These were less than helpful actions too but don't attract the odium that Perseus gets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here