Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A bit awkward for perseus as well.

I seem to recall he used to tell us in no uncertain terms that we would NEVER play in a stadium at Falmer, I think it was him, or was that someone else?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No idea, was nowhere near NSC at the time and didn't follow football in the slightest! I followed the goings on from a geeky planning perspective.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I seem to recall he used to tell us in no uncertain terms that we would NEVER play in a stadium at Falmer, I think it was him, or was that someone else?

No, that was Norman "liar" Baker

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

That was our friend 'septic tank' who used to infest and infect The Argus forums and on occasion would stink out this place. Strange that he went quiet a few years back...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Worth a regular bounce just in case any newbies aren't aware of Perseus and his past. How he's got the neck to keep posting and pretending to be a Brighton fan is beyond me. It was also a bit childish to give him a thumbs down ten years after the event. Oh well.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
No idea, was nowhere near NSC at the time and didn't follow football in the slightest! I followed the goings on from a geeky planning perspective.

I wonder "from a planning perspective" what would have been the reaction to a mock-up of the present stadium in the original plans submitted to the Inquiries/ODPM. I seem to recall the roof was green and considerably lower on the horizon...:whistle:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I wonder "from a planning perspective" what would have been the reaction to a mock-up of the present stadium in the original plans submitted to the Inquiries/ODPM. I seem to recall the roof was green and considerably lower on the horizon...:whistle:

Irrespective of any design changes which were themselves approved in consequent planning applications, my view is that the economic and social arguments for the Stadium were good, Falmer was the only reasonable site available and this would still outweigh the perceived impacts.

If the Stadium was refused at the time in all lilkelihood the land would now lie in the National Park and the application would probably be a non starter.

The original plans included a partially 'grassed' green roof, I'm not sure if the roof was wholly green.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Irrespective of any design changes which were themselves approved in consequent planning applications, my view is that the economic and social arguments for the Stadium were good, Falmer was the only reasonable site available and this would still outweigh the perceived impacts.

If the Stadium was refused at the time in all lilkelihood the land would now lie in the National Park and the application would probably be a non starter.

The design changes were of course only approved by Brighton and Hove Council, as the building itself was carefully positioned on the west side of the field to avoid LDC having any further say once outline planning permission had been granted. But who's to say whether the alternative "threat" to schedule a hotel complex on the site might not have gone through?

Oh...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We got our stadium, we got our stadium, we got our stadium :falmer:

What a thread :lol:

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
Worth a regular bounce just in case any newbies aren't aware of Perseus and his past. How he's got the neck to keep posting and pretending to be a Brighton fan is beyond me. It was also a bit childish to give him a thumbs down ten years after the event. Oh well.

See I have to honest and say I can't have Perseus one bit. I've never forgotten this. Not at all.

And he will never respond to a direct question. Even a polite one. This thread makes me remember exactly how divisive and snide the whole thing got.

Appalling. And still posting as if it nothing had ever happened

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
some old usernames on this thread.

What happened to Marc ?

B.M.F ?

Tedebear ?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
See I have to honest and say I can't have Perseus one bit. I've never forgotten this. Not at all.

And he will never respond to a direct question. Even a polite one. This thread makes me remember exactly how divisive and snide the whole thing got.

Appalling. And still posting as if it nothing had ever happened
Bet he loves the training ground

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What a thread. The Cement Works! If you think Falmer has some transport issues just imagine if FPC had won and we'd ended up there! There would still be people up there queuing waiting to get home from the Doncaster game. Still makes me angry that those wankers cost us so much money and so much time whilst we had to kill all the totally impractical alternatives.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, that's a blast from the past. It's a sign of how far we've come: 12 years ago, we were wondering whether we'd have a club; now look at us.

When this thread was started, I wasn't even living in Brighton. Took my chance that Falmer would be passed and moved to Coldean - it was the correct decision. It's a reminder how uncertain our future was - imagine having to get out to Shoreham Airport (shudder).

I went past Beeding Cement Works last week, how the hell could anyone have thought it was a likely site?

And we got our stadium before BAG married Jake Robinson and had two kids too ....:)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Blimey, that's a blast from the past. It's a sign of how far we've come: 12 years ago, we were wondering whether we'd have a club; now look at us.

When this thread was started, I wasn't even living in Brighton. Took my chance that Falmer would be passed and moved to Coldean - it was the correct decision. It's a reminder how uncertain our future was - imagine having to get out to Shoreham Airport (shudder).

I went past Beeding Cement Works last week, how the hell could anyone have thought it was a likely site?

And we got our stadium before BAG married Jake Robinson and had two kids too ....:)

There used to be a station at Shoreham Airport called 'Bungalow Town'. They could have resurrected it just to rub in the madness of such a location.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here