Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
perseus said:
No, I am not bitter. I feel the Albion have missed an opportunity.

My general feeling I am disappointed that the Brighton politicians did not go for Village Way South and attempted appease the pretend greenies whose only agenda was to stop the Falmer plan entirely, rather than to make the best opportunity that the Falmer site afforded.

:smokin:

You say you are not bitter, but your second statement says you do not agree with what the club has done. But why carry on a one man campaign to try and change the direction the club are taking? Whether or not Falmer is the correct site, what good are your actions? The board made their decision. It is costing money and not showing a united front. Surely towing the party line in the case of the stadium is the best plan, as without it, we are in trouble.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I asked you a question

please do me the curtesy to furnish it with a reply

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
dave the gaffer said:
OK then Mr Horton

Did you or did you not give any of your workings or investigations into the site known as Pende to any party whatsoever who are involved in the reconvened Pubilc Enquiry?

Straight answer please

I like this one! Answer this!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I attempted to answer the question posed by Rangdo before;

Earlier message:

It is not worth even discussing Beeding Cement Works : it does not fit the criteria laid down by Prescott. It think it could be "ultra vires" outside the scope of the additional Public Inquiry.

Pende is probably NOT outside the criteria. Depends who proposes it really. If Helen McKay (Ex-President of the Planning Institute and ex- Deputy Head of Adur Planning Department) proposes it, I would have thought the Planning Inspector would be obliged to accept the evidence. If a member of Joe Public proposed the idea, it would be a decision whether or not it falls within the criteria laid out.

PS: I cannot really say what the Inspector may or may not do. From my one previous experience speaking at Planning Public Inquiries, I would say the evidence would be admitted. Whether, the evidence would carry any weight when the evidence is examined is another matter altogether.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
perseus said:
I attempted to answer the question posed by Rangdo before;

Earlier message:

It is not worth even discussing Beeding Cement Works : it does not fit the criteria laid down by Prescott. It think it could be "ultra vires" outside the scope of the additional Public Inquiry.

Pende is probably NOT outside the criteria. Depends who proposes it really. If Helen McKay (Ex-President of the Planning Institute and ex- Deputy Head of Adur Planning Department) proposes it, I would have thought the Planning Inspector would be obliged to accept the evidence. If a member of Joe Public proposed the idea, it would be a decision whether or not it falls within the criteria laid out.

PS: I cannot really say what the Inspector may or may not do. From my one previous experience speaking at Planning Public Inquiries, I would say the evidence would be admitted. Whether, the evidence would carry any weight when the evidence is examined is another matter altogether.

Why are you avoiding answering Dave's question?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ANSWER THE QUESTION PLEASE

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lammy, the answer is NO.

I have NOT been approached by any member of the public on this issue whatsoever.

I was approached by one person on the media and I declined it. That was immediately preceding the first Public Inquiry.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You categorically and unequivicably deny that you did not at any time pass on any of your findngs about Pende to any person or body involved in the reconvened Public Enquiry

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I said I did not agree with the politican's decision to go for Village Way North instead of the Albion's original favoured choice of Village Way South.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is not what I said...read it again...YES OR NO

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
NO. Unless you count Martin Perry (and that was years ago).

(I got your post mixed up Lammy's before.)

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thankyou very much indeed for explaining this to me.

So let me just clarify this for the other members of this board who may be following this with interest, What you are saying is you have never passed any of your documentation for Pende to any party whatsoever who is involved in the Public Enquiry or the reconvened Public Enquiry for the building of a football stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion at Falmer

just to get my facts straight you understand

Yoda

English & European
perseus said:
You can envisage the scheme as a problem or opportunity.

This is why I have out it to NSC rather than the general public. If I can lay out the facts and let you make up your own minds.

Falmer is advantageous on planning grounds inasmuch as the the road by the Universities is about 20% less congested (my estimate) than the A27 near Lancing Manor and it already has a railway station.

However, in these respects, Pende is better than both Sheepcote and Toad's Hole. (Despite what the Planning Inspector said.)

All road access in red would be from the A27 and it would not go near any houses.

PENDE: MODE OF TRAVEL for home fans living locally
Modal Split:

By motor vehicle (40%) at a average of 2 per vehicle.

10,000 by car = 5,000 parking spaces at 100% use before the railway station is built.
Capacity 25,000 at 20% cars = 5,000 spaces.

Car parking will be on tarmac for the premier car parking area, and for what can be be jointly used by the business park (this is in the advanced plan). The areas will be on grass strengthened to avoid churning by the best method, with matting underneath, so it can be enjoyed as a public open space for most of the year.

Primary special bus and coach route, given priority over cars will use the cycle path (until the route to the business park is opened) or it could use the airport road to the A27. Even at a pinch the airport route could be used as an additional route before the access road is constructed.

However, in line with public transport policies, the train station is the long term future. Because all car drivers will have to use the single access and exit at the A27 traffic lights and because the car parking charges will match the train fare, the use of the train may be the easiest way, at least comparable to using the underground to get around London. Cyclists will have quicker alternatives with direct cycle exclusive paths to South Lancing, North Lancing, Shoreham, Steyning and the north.

No special park 'n ride in operation. It is envisaged that some fans could park at their local railway station and catch the train.

PS: I agree about Freshbrook Road. At a public meeting, I suggested that they put a relief road north to south through New Monks Farm. But they are not going to do it, because the railway do not want a bridge over the railway line and nobody wants to pay for it.

Who the f*** is going to pay for this Station? ???

Rail track wouldn’t, as it wouldn't be in their best interests. i.e. they won't make any money on it.

As for the lights on the A27? :dunce: It's bad enough up there as it is at the moment. The only way that would possibly work is if the government realised that Worthing & Lancing STILL need a by-pass and it was built before we started building the stadium there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the stadium there as it's easy for me to get to, but it's just not Viable. Where are we going to find the £100,000,000's to build all of this? It would cost us about £50million to build the train station alone. We might be able to save the cash to build that, around 50+ years down the line.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
perseus said:
NO. Unless you count Martin Perry (and that was years ago).

(I got your post mixed up Lammy's before.)

Eh? I was just asking you to answer Dave's question! There is only one point. I didn't have a point. It was Dave's point to make.

How can you mix up one point?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'd just like to make the point that they NEVER build railway stations for football stadiums.

Have a look at Chelsea and the railway line there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
dave the gaffer said:
Thankyou very much indeed for explaining this to me.

So let me just clarify this for the other members of this board who may be following this with interest, What you are saying is you have never passed any of your documentation for Pende to any party whatsoever who is involved in the Public Enquiry or the reconvened Public Enquiry for the building of a football stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion at Falmer

just to get my facts straight you understand

MR Horton Please if you would be so kind

Yoda

English & European
perseus said:
No, I am not bitter. I feel the Albion have missed an opportunity.

My general feeling I am disappointed that the Brighton politicians did not go for Village Way South and attempted appease the pretend greenies whose only agenda was to stop the Falmer plan entirely, rather than to make the best opportunity that the Falmer site afforded.

:smokin:

I thought Village Way South was a smaller site? ???

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Lammy said:
I'd just like to make the point that they NEVER build railway stations for football stadiums.

Haven't they built a station for the Reebok Stadium? I guess it also serves the retail park around the ground as well but it was built. Coventry's new Jaguar Arena is going to have a station built next to it as well.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yes, that's exactly right.

I never passed on the information to anybody involved in any of the Public Inquiries or gave them permission to use any of the information I hold pertaining to Pende. Except I did pass on the information to Martin Perry (and that was before Planning Permission was applied for).

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lammy said:

Am I right in saying Arsenal are getting a Tube Station for their new ground? Pretty sure I read/heard that somewhere, no sure of the implications as its different to Aboveground Trains so to speak and the new station may serve more of a purpose than just the Football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here