TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
perseus said:
Whatever infrastructure costs lots and lots of dosh. I am not under any illusions about this and it is easy to underestimate the cost which will be be at least £10 million, unless the highways department can put in a south-north relief road (this is unlikely because it would mean putting a bridge over the railway line).

NMF3a.jpg

Railtrack (or whatever they are called now) will not put in a railway station unless they can attract at least 250,000 passengers a year.

Its not just the building of a road to the south, you have to think of the impact on the area in Lancing, to the immediate West is all suburb like areas and the roads will not cater for football traffic coming from that direction towards Pende. There is NO way of expanding due to the proximity of the housing there and residents would be more in number apposed to the stadiums possible traffic than the few in Falmer Village.
Falmer 1 - 0 Pende

Of course there will be no Train staton and not near enough money or reason to build one at Shoreham Airport (for example), meaning fans have to walk/bus/taxi from Lancing or Shoreham
Falmer 2 - 0 Pende

It seems to me that you are, and have been for some time, fighting a loosing battle with Pende. It is loosing to falmer in the most important areas and THEN theres the extra, much un-needed, cost of BHA explaining to the Inquiry just why this site is not justified.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Yoda

English & European
CrabtreeBHA said:
Its not just the building of a road to the south, you have to think of the impact on the area in Lancing, to the immediate West is all suburb like areas and the roads will not cater for football traffic coming from that direction towards Pende. There is NO way of expanding due to the proximity of the housing there and residents would be more in number apposed to the stadiums possible traffic than the few in Falmer Village.
Falmer 1 - 0 Pende

I live on Freshbrook Road which would be the main one linking from the South. I can't even handle school traffic in the morning.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Yoda said:
I live on Freshbrook Road which would be the main one linking from the South. I can't even handle school traffic in the morning.

Exactly, the roads around Pende would need more than double the work than the Sliproad at Falmer. Falmer has the advantage of the A27 dual carriage way right on the doorstep. Pende has the northern A27 but once you hit lancing its a Town area and nothing can be done, the roads to the South are clearly not suitable and no amount of work there could be done (within reasonable cash wise) to make it safe for football traffic.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You can envisage the scheme as a problem or opportunity.

This is why I have out it to NSC rather than the general public. If I can lay out the facts and let you make up your own minds.

Falmer is advantageous on planning grounds inasmuch as the the road by the Universities is about 20% less congested (my estimate) than the A27 near Lancing Manor and it already has a railway station.

However, in these respects, Pende is better than both Sheepcote and Toad's Hole. (Despite what the Planning Inspector said.)

All road access in red would be from the A27 and it would not go near any houses.

PENDE: MODE OF TRAVEL for home fans living locally
Modal Split:

By motor vehicle (40%) at a average of 2 per vehicle.

10,000 by car = 5,000 parking spaces at 100% use before the railway station is built.
Capacity 25,000 at 20% cars = 5,000 spaces.

Car parking will be on tarmac for the premier car parking area, and for what can be be jointly used by the business park (this is in the advanced plan). The areas will be on grass strengthened to avoid churning by the best method, with matting underneath, so it can be enjoyed as a public open space for most of the year.

Primary special bus and coach route, given priority over cars will use the cycle path (until the route to the business park is opened) or it could use the airport road to the A27. Even at a pinch the airport route could be used as an additional route before the access road is constructed.

However, in line with public transport policies, the train station is the long term future. Because all car drivers will have to use the single access and exit at the A27 traffic lights and because the car parking charges will match the train fare, the use of the train may be the easiest way, at least comparable to using the underground to get around London. Cyclists will have quicker alternatives with direct cycle exclusive paths to South Lancing, North Lancing, Shoreham, Steyning and the north.

No special park 'n ride in operation. It is envisaged that some fans could park at their local railway station and catch the train.

PS: I agree about Freshbrook Road. At a public meeting, I suggested that they put a relief road north to south through New Monks Farm. But they are not going to do it, because the railway do not want a bridge over the railway line and nobody wants to pay for it.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
AND AGAIN!!

Perseus the simple fact that you are still engaging debate in alternate sites to me shows that you do want the Albion to go out of business due to the cost of this inquiry....everytime someone suggests an alternate location (that I must strees has been previously discarded for quantifiable reasons) it costs the club time and money to refute the claims.....

Can't you just put your faith in the club and let them do whats best - you are giving cannon fodder to the Falmer Parish Council in your very attempts to reinstate this very old debate...

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Runway extension proposal for Shoreham Airport

Pertinent and important facts:

Length: 1200 metres maximum
Cost: £30 million minimum

The CAA (new regulations) will only allow piddly little planes on a runway of that length.
These will be turbo-props taking up to about 50 passengers at a go.

For an airport to take the Fokker 50s, a sensible small plane that could take 90 to 100 passengers a runway of 1500 metres is essential and for any regional airport 1800 metres is the sensible minimum.
Plymouth want to relocate their larger airport to accomodate a 2250 metre long runway.

I personally could not care shit about four Fokker 50 turbo-props taking off every day (it took Humberside Airport 15 years to attain this small trade total). But do you think that a dozen or so extra aircraft are going to pay for a £30 million investment? The whole plan is a joke!

The issue is by squandering money on a fruitless runway they make the airport go bankrupt and close down completely.

Last edited:

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
perseus said:
I personally could not care shit.

Aint that the truth.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Perseus why do you always ignore the important questions put to you and just keep churning out statistics that no one is interested in to answer questions that nobody asked?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Rangdo said:
Perseus why do you always ignore the important questions put to you and just keep churning out statistics that no one is interested in to answer questions that nobody asked?

Thinks like an MP, Replies like an MP....when have they ever replied with a direct answer to a direct question? :)

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Are you lot still taking notice of his inane drivel?? Bloody hell, HUNTER. Give it up you prick.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Rangdo said:

Because he is in a world of his own where no one elses opinions matter. All he hears is noise rather than people asking him WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ask a question and you get a straight answer!

If I don't know the answer, you will have to ask someone else.

If you want to check any facts, I should be able to find the source of information so you can double check.

Don't ask how much Falmer is going to cost because I don't know. You will have to ask Dick Knight that! The Hull stadium cost £43.5 million.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
perseus said:

If you want to check any facts, I should be able to find the source of information so you can double check.

Don't ask how much Falmer is going to cost because I don't know. You will have to ask Dick Knight that! The Hull stadium cost £43.5 million.

Here is a question, are you bitter that your little site got overlooked and the club went for Falmer? Is that why you have been pushing your own agenda, when, even if you do not agree with the clubs plan, we all need to be pulling together to secure the long term future of the club.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
OK then Mr Horton

Did you or did you not give any of your workings or investigations into the site known as Pende to any party whatsoever who are involved in the reconvened Pubilc Enquiry?

Straight answer please

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
perseus said:

Then answer this question that I asked you earlier:

Rangdo said:
Please look at this ward map of Brighton and hove Perseus http://www.boundarycommittee.org.uk...3-4975__E__.pdf and tell me why you think Pende would pass the criteria set by John Prescott that the site must be within the conurbation of Brighton and Hove.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No, I am not bitter. I feel the Albion have missed an opportunity.

My general feeling I am disappointed that the Brighton politicians did not go for Village Way South and attempted appease the pretend greenies whose only agenda was to stop the Falmer plan entirely, rather than to make the best opportunity that the Falmer site afforded.

:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports