Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Two England supporters in a bad way in Marseille according to French press

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If you believe SN they are saying Russians wearing England shirts have been organising a lot of the trouble. I must have finally got old as I have found the whole thing extremely sad and embarrassing.
Have a feeling most of Europe want us to vote leave.
So hang on, have I got this right? Sky news is reporting that RUSSIANS are impersonating English fans to cause trouble and you're embarrassed to be English?

Sent from the boot of Lingard

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Not at all, it's nothing to do with desert - nobody 'deserves' to get their heads kicked in, in my view, however moronic, drunk, nationalistic or provocative they might be. However, from what I've seen on television, and heard indirectly from a relative who is there today, you'd have to be pretty stupid to get yourself in such a position in Marseille today

Obvious areas like their seats in the ground? Jamie vardy's wife just tweeted that she got tear gassed before the game for no reason trying to get into the ground

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I read it as you saying that this has happened because our 'lads' had been banned from travelling. I can see this isn't what you meant, and apologise. Glad to hear your boy is ok and hope he enjoyed the match (if a little frustrating)

To be fair, I was going to have a pop back at your initial response to Melias Shoes but this covers it so cool with me. Thing is, from what I've heard, it is most definitely organised between local OB, locals & Russians all taking liberties.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Obvious areas like their seats in the ground? Jamie vardy's wife just tweeted that she got tear gassed before the game for no reason trying to get into the ground

Yes, I'm sure they singled her out. The CRS (French riot police) are hardly known for their sophistication, and ability to distinguish between different members of a crowd they are trying unsuccessfully to control. You can berate their methods as much as you like, but those methods were well-known in advance, and they did not choose to have their city centre smashed up by foreign hooligans. Undoubtedly some people who weren't rioting will have been affected by tear gas, just as some locals will have had their evenings spoiled by English rioters. That's the nature of those kinds of situation - usually, however, you can avoid the trouble if you choose to, or you can find it if you're looking for it.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
How very DARE Russian firms spend 'months training for this'. They should have been MADE to spend the last nine months cramming their faces with lard and Carlsberg like our homegrown northern white trash.

Northern white trash! You are a disgrace to the Albion using that sort of language. A lot of England hooligans are from places like Essex and North Kent anyway. Southern white trash no doubt.
Scratch an affluent liberal and guess what you find?
I'm sure there aren't too many nasty people living in your neck of the woods now to spoil your view.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Jeez I cant see any fundamentalist wanting to cause mayhem venturing into France as all of europe seem to be doing a pretty good job themselves.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
To be fair, I was going to have a pop back at your initial response to Melias Shoes but this covers it so cool with me. Thing is, from what I've heard, it is most definitely organised between local OB, locals & Russians all taking liberties.

That's exactly what my son was telling us and believe me he isn't a hooligan. He kept well away but says England fans are being targeted from all angles. This was his words what he has seen. He says it will be reported as England fans causing trouble but it is being started by locals and russians. The police are actually doing nothing . His words. He's there.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I really hope this is not true, from after the game:

User Actions
Follow

AFC_Andrew
‏@PR_WhoRu
Entire Marseille metro network down. Ambulances & firefighters at Baille station. Locals say an Englishman is dead

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Showing your true colours there chaps. :nono:

Come on, admit that you're a little bit pleased that some violent psychopaths have put people in hospital.

I fully agree with you mate , those two seem to be happy that some Engliand fans got their "just desserts" , regardless of who they are , wouldnt it be ironic if it turned out that they knew one of the victims ? wonder if theyd stand by those crass comments ?

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yes, I'm sure they singled her out. The CRS (French riot police) are hardly known for their sophistication, and ability to distinguish between different members of a crowd they are trying unsuccessfully to control. You can berate their methods as much as you like, but those methods were well-known in advance, and they did not choose to have their city centre smashed up by foreign hooligans. Undoubtedly some people who weren't rioting will have been affected by tear gas, just as some locals will have had their evenings spoiled by English rioters. That's the nature of those kinds of situation - usually, however, you can avoid the trouble if you choose to, or you can find it if you're looking for it.

She was trying to get into the ground. Others were attacked in their seats. How is this provocation? How is this their fault? How can you avoid being in the wrong place if the wrong place is your seat in the ground?

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
That's exactly what my son was telling us and believe me he isn't a hooligan. He kept well away but says England fans are being targeted from all angles. This was his words what he has seen. He says it will be reported as England fans causing trouble but it is being started by locals and russians. The police are actually doing nothing . His words. He's there.

Bang on mate. Hope your lad's ok.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So a group of English thugs started causing trouble, smashing windows, throwing bottles, giving it loads, and challenging other fans. And the normal English football fans pay the price times a hundred. I hope it isn't genuine fans that got hurt.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So a group of English thugs started causing trouble, smashing windows, throwing bottles, giving it loads, and challenging other fans. And the normal English football fans pay the price times a hundred. I hope it isn't genuine fans that got hurt.
Straight of journalist school?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I read it was the French attacked the NI and Polish who were drinking together

Yes I just read that as well, Nice Ultras coming in in all black, dressed up for the affair, causing a ruckus then the police turning up, allow the Nice fans to disperse and wading in on the Poles and NI.

I really hope that metro story above is a false alarm.

Radio 5 covering it now and people phoning in who are still around Marseilles you can hear the police behind them

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Also people saying the loud bang in the ground was in effect a starter gun to get the Russians to rush the England fans at the same time

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
And to think some on here still hanker for the days when this was commonplace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here