Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Twenty Questions - My New Neighbour

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is Tommy Banks two people? He's not......Banksy, is he? :ohmy:

There are two cup winners older than Bill Leivers, but the elder of the two is Banks (the other one is Doug Holden, also ex Bolton). But he may be Banksy for all I know

The oldest cup finalist still alive is, I think, Tommy Docherty - he's 92

EDIT: I'm wrong on this. I searched finals back to 1947 and found no-one left alive. I thought that I wouldn't go back any longer than that as they'd all be dead. I should have gone back another year: Reg Harrison, who played in the Derby cup winning team is alive and kicking at the grand old age of 97

That's some record

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are two cup winners older than Bill Leivers, but the elder of the two is Banks (the other one is Doug Holden, also ex Bolton). But he may be Banksy for all I know

He must also be the oldest living Scotsman. The extraordinary effect of daily Mary Brown :rolleyes:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He must also be the oldest living Scotsman. The extraordinary effect of daily Mary Brown :rolleyes:

Well, he's not the oldest finalist but I bet he's the oldest Gorbals-born bloke still alive. Isn't that the place where life expectancy at birth is mid-50s or something ridiculous?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, he's not the oldest finalist but I bet he's the oldest Gorbals-born bloke still alive. Isn't that the place where life expectancy at birth is mid-50s or something ridiculous?

Indeed. And he's never struck me as one of nature's instinctive clean livers (in both senses of the word).

Good luck to the man.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Yeah, but the question didn't specify in the cup final. You'd have to be super geeky to know what colours the winners have worn over the past 60-odd years.

Or find a picture of the program and discover that the poor old guy had his name spelled wrong in his crowning moment.

original.jpg

:ffsparr:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Or find a picture of the program and discover that the poor old guy had his name spelled wrong in his crowning moment.

original.jpg

:ffsparr:

Sorry, only just seen this. Good spot!

So, I was talking to Bill and his son the other day, and I asked if he had ever played at the Goldstone. Not for City, as we were in different divisions, unless we met in the cup. But maybe for Chesterfield (before City) or Doncaster (after City). Or maybe he visited as a manager?

He wasn't sure, but he's obviously been thinking about it - apparently a couple of nights later, while they were all watching TV, he piped up with "I don't think I ever played at Brighton".

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

EDIT: I'm wrong on this. I searched finals back to 1947 and found no-one left alive. I thought that I wouldn't go back any longer than that as they'd all be dead. I should have gone back another year: Reg Harrison, who played in the Derby cup winning team is alive and kicking at the grand old age of 97

That's some record
Well, nearly three years on…
Reg Harrison died 17 September 2020
Doug Holden died 7 April 2021
Tommy Banks appears to still be alive at 93
And my neighbour Bill Leivers is still going at 91. Apparently the Daily Mail are doing a feature about the FA Cup (tomorrow?), which includes a bit about Bill being the oldest surviving winner. As it’s the DM, I don’t know whether to assume they’re wrong, or hope they’re right for a change!
Oh, and Tommy Docherty died 31 December 2020.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, nearly three years on…
Reg Harrison died 17 September 2020
Doug Holden died 7 April 2021
Tommy Banks appears to still be alive at 93
And my neighbour Bill Leivers is still going at 91. Apparently the Daily Mail are doing a feature about the FA Cup (tomorrow?), which includes a bit about Bill being the oldest surviving winner. As it’s the DM, I don’t know whether to assume they’re wrong, or hope they’re right for a change!
Oh, and Tommy Docherty died 31 December 2020.
Wiki mentions Bill is down in Cornwall (although it says St Austell, perhaps not updated). Love to hear his memories.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wiki mentions Bill is down in Cornwall (although it says St Austell, perhaps not updated). Love to hear his memories.
It’s a long time since he lived in St Austell - he lived in a retirement home in Truro for several years, before moving next door to me. Yes, he had some great memories, but unfortunately most of them have now evaporated with age. Spends most of his time watching football on TV.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Actually a very nice piece in the Daily Mail (sorry :mad:) about Bill being the "longest surviving FA Cup winner" rather than "oldest winner".
Just wondering if he'll be invited to Wembley if City get to the final. And if there will be a spare ticket for an opposition supporter... ;):laugh:

'I can remember quite a bit about the day... The Queen were absolutely beautiful': Meet Bill Leivers, 91, the longest surviving FA Cup winner who starred for City in the 1956 Trautmann showpiece and enjoyed his brush with royalty​

• Bill Leivers is believed to be the longest surviving FA Cup winner at the age of 91
  • Leivers emerged victorious from the 1956 edition of the FA Cup with Man City
  • He recounts his tales from that day and the infamous events of City's cup victory

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Why is your house called Old Trafford?
My house? It isn't. It was called "Trafford" (not "Old") by the previous owners from Manchester, but that was 10 years ago. Got my "Goldstone" sign in the front window!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here