Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] TV's best puppet

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Didn't stop Archie Andrews who was a big favourite on the radio back when God's dog was a puppy

Archie Andrews asked Beryl Reid (who was in a show with him) if she could see his lips move during his act, she replied "only when the doll is speaking".

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Going to go with Beaker from the Muppets. Feels appropriate because my inner-Beaker needs a bit of controlling when I look at the state of my work diary this week.

BeakerHands.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh great even this thread turns into a cluterf**k over Sooty's origin story.

:lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Didn't stop Archie Andrews who was a big favourite on the radio back when God's dog was a puppy

IIRC that was the dummy and Peter Brough was the ventriloquist. He was a huge star on Radio, but unfortunately with the advent of television it became apparent that he simply spoke the words of Archie with his mouth moving completely normally and his 'career' nose dived :lolol:

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I'm in the Sweep camp. The episode with Matthew called swinging the lead is near comedic genius. Also around that time, the episode with all of sweeps lost brothers and his family... Swoop and swipe... literally wrote itself.

https://youtu.be/dgh6k21yV_Y

As Sue would have doubtless quipped; oh Matthew you are funny.

And do you know something kids... he was.

Great choice. Massive fan of Sweep, who always played second fiddle to Sooty but he was the comedy genius of the pair.

You could pretty much tell exactly what he was saying via his squeak intonations and that was part of his charm.

The Sweep’s brothers' episode has to be one of the best ever and it improves with time. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Sweep, Emu and Hartley Hare

Hartley rather sinister and a little paganistic (if that's a word), if not also somewhat threadbare and knackered.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My friend's dad used to tell a story about how he met Roger De Courcey on a golf course once and he was total arse. He said De Courcey was demanding to play through, and delivered the line "Don't you know who I am?" to which they replied, "Yeah you're that puppet".

Nurse, have you lost somebody? I ask because there's a bloke here who doesn't know who he is.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Gordon the Gopher used to amuse me when I watched it with my kids.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
IIRC that was the dummy and Peter Brough was the ventriloquist. He was a huge star on Radio, but unfortunately with the advent of television it became apparent that he simply spoke the words of Archie with his mouth moving completely normally and his 'career' nose dived :lolol:

He was a distant cousin.......Peter not Archie:D

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That picture of Lord Charles(?) reminded me that he had a radio show. My kids do not believe me that a ventriloquist had a show on the radio. I am starting to doubt it myself!

Wasn't that Educating Archie with Peter Brough?

Edit beaten to it.

Btw de Courcey and Nookie Bear are Palace!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here