Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] TV box-sets you gave up on (or wish you hadn’t bothered with)

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I just opened the thread to add Killing Eve. Loved the first series, gradually bored through the second until I realised I didn't give a shit what happened after the end of series cliffhanger. Never watched S3.

That is exactly how felt about Killing Eve.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why would you even attempt to watch GoT if you don't get on with fantasy stuff?

That is similar to me sitting down with the missus to pretend to watch Bridgerton with her, as I don't get on with soppy romantic costume dramas...however the time spent has got my fantasy team top of my mini-league through meticulous planning and research only occasionally looking up to see if there's any topless action in the next love scene.

I said most Fantasy Stuff. I can enjoy a Harry Potter film or the Lord of the Rings stuff because they are much more "believable", if that doesn't sound too daft.... which it probably does.

There was a Terry Pratchett or similar serialised on the BBC(?) fairly recently that we started watching because it was very well previewed, but again we gave up half-way through the first episode. and catching bits of it through Gogglebox subsequently, we didn't regret it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I inevitably watch something through to the end and enjoy most of them. The one exception was "24" - what a repetitive borefest. I find one-off mini series are more enjoyable.

Agree completely.

24 was a brilliant concept when it started, but just how many times can one man save the world against impossible odds in just 24hrs unless he wears a cape?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you managed to get to season 3 of Prison Break I admire your stamina, I gave up early into season 2

Also gave up on US version of House of Cards near the end of season 1, just kept seeing too much of the original (and fantastic) UK version in my head and the US one was nowhere near as good

Totally agree. The British House of Cards was superb.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I've stopped watching quite a lot of stuff because it's a hard to sustain an interesting story year after year. Far too many series don't know when to call it a day when theres a tv network ready to order more seasons and keep the gravy train running.

One i gave up on for a different reason was The West Wing. When Trump rose to power the contrast between the show and reality became too depressing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've stopped watching quite a lot of stuff because it's a hard to sustain an interesting story year after year. Far too many series don't know when to call it a day when theres a tv network ready to order more seasons and keep the gravy train running.

One i gave up on for a different reason was The West Wing. When Trump rose to power the contrast between the show and reality became too depressing.

Whereas with Veep when Trump rose to power the similarities between the show and reality became too depressing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yet another vote for Lost.

The first series - bunch of disparate characters, stuck on a remote island - was believable and really well written. They added a BIT of mystery (scary noises / black smoke from the jungle) and peril (arrow attack from indigenous tribe). It had a smallish group of important characters, that were engaging and well formed - Jack, Hurley, Sawyer, Kate, Locke etc.

Kate (Evangeline Lily, was particularly well formed, obviously... :love: )

Kate_Austen_(Lost).jpg

Then, Season 2 they introduced the 'Others' /the 'Dharma' nonsense, and you could just about get on board with the convoluted narrative.

Then they just utterly Lost the plot (pun intended). Read this wikipedia precis of series 3-6. More and more ridiculous, to the point i can't believe anyone was watching it by the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(TV_series)#Season_1

Last edited:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Game of Thrones - gave up midway through the first season. No particular reason, just couldn't be bothered with it.

The Walking Dead - gave up after Season 6 but recenlty returned to it. Picked it up in Season 9 and am sticking with it despite the fact its very low quality in many episodes.

24 - Quite enjoyed the first season but lost interest in the absurdity of it all during the second.

Lost - Gave up when JJ Abrams admitted he was making it up as the show went along and reacting to fan theories. He then of course went on to do the same on the big screen with Star Wars.

Star Trek Discovery/Picard: Fun for the first season. Utter cack after that. Also gave up on Picard after the first season.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
^This^ is the correct answer to the Killing Eve question.

Agreed. Have season 3 on my Sky box and totally forgot about it. It's only because the new season has started and is still series linked I noticed it.

On a more positive note, I really wanted to ditch Schitt's Creek after episode 1, still wanted to ditch it after E2, was tempted to ditch it after E3, but it steadily grew on me and I ended up loving it.

That is interesting. A friend of mine put me on to it saying it was great and we normally like the same sort of thing. Watched episode 1 and didn't bother with any more.

I did similar with Superstore. Thought this is rubbish but the episodes were 20 mins long so gave it another shot and then a third one. Before I knew it I'd done all of them then went off to find the 6th season which wasn't on Netflix yet. Still think it's rubbish but it was watchable rubbish that required no thinking.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting to read people’s view on The Blacklist. I’ve just finished the first season and enjoyed, but I was thinking ‘how do they keep this going for 8 seasons?’
I simply found Red's character, with his random tangent musings, funny. His (black)list gives you a weekly story, as any old cop show would, and they can be alright, despite often being far-fetched. Liz is easy on the eye (every little helps). If you find it entertaining then just keep going, but if you're in it for the revelation, I wouldn't bother.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
That is interesting. A friend of mine put me on to it saying it was great and we normally like the same sort of thing. Watched episode 1 and didn't bother with any more.

We only kept going with Schitts Creek because friends had said to persevere. One particular mate who would usually be scathing of something that seemed so shallow was the clincher.

My advice is to give it another go - the characters really start to grow on you. If you get through 5 episodes and you're still not feeling any life in it, you probably won't (the episodes aren't even 25 mins IIRC)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Please make sure you go through and finish it off. The election campaign in Season 7 is so beautifully done, it's incredible story telling although nothing remotely as good as the first 4 seasons when Aaron Sorkin was writing. The election to succeed president Bartlet gave the show new but credible depth and took the story to places it couldn't have gone if it had stayed within the White House itself.

Although, if you're a particular fan of Richard Schiff and/or Toby Ziegler, it's worth knowing that the actor himself was and is (based on his comments on the podcast!) furious with the lack of understanding of his character on the show and the way he was written post-Sorkin.

Also, don't watch the cold open of episode 1 in season 7. It's a spoiler for the series in a lot of ways.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Game of Thrones - gave up midway through the first season. No particular reason, just couldn't be bothered with it.

The Walking Dead - gave up after Season 6 but recenlty returned to it. Picked it up in Season 9 and am sticking with it despite the fact its very low quality in many episodes.

24 - Quite enjoyed the first season but lost interest in the absurdity of it all during the second.

Lost - Gave up when JJ Abrams admitted he was making it up as the show went along and reacting to fan theories. He then of course went on to do the same on the big screen with Star Wars.

Star Trek Discovery/Picard: Fun for the first season. Utter cack after that. Also gave up on Picard after the first season.

I'm a fan of all things Trek, but Discovery lost me very early on (too much Wars and not enough Trek) and Picard just doesn't grab me (except Seven of Nine, obvs) - plots trying to be too clever, not developing likable characters.

I'll also add The Sinner. Most annoying detective ever, ridiculous plots.

Wife still watches Killing Eve, I just sit there wondering if anyone actually wrote it, or they used some random generator.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here