[Football] Tuchel gone

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly - all this "Why would he want to go there?" stuff is pure folly.

He would be at one of the biggest clubs in the country, and he would be managing in the Champions League right away. As an ambitious man, as he surely is, he'd absolutely jump at the chance. The "Chelsea is a basket case" is actually a reason TO go, not the opposite. If it all goes horribly wrong then his stint there is easily excused - "It was Chelsea and they are a complete mess" - his stock remains high and he'll not be short of job offers.

Are Chelsea really interested? Who knows.
Would Chelsea stump up enough to get Potter out of his Albion contract? Who knows.
Would Potter want to go if Chelsea want him and are happy to pay? Of course he bloody would.

Hmm. I would say that it cuts both ways. Regardless of the Chelsea internal set-up if he goes there and fails - then he's failed at Chelsea. In every other job that crops up post-Chelsea people will say "Yeah, he was great at Brighton, but he failed at Chelsea didn't he? Can't 'do' big clubs can he?" Saying "Ah, but the club was a basket case" will be met with a shrug. He still failed.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Hmm. I would say that it cuts both ways. Regardless of the Chelsea internal set-up if he goes there and fails - then he's failed at Chelsea. In every other job that crops up post-Chelsea people will say "Yeah, he was great at Brighton, but he failed at Chelsea didn't he? Can't 'do' big clubs can he?" Saying "Ah, but the club was a basket case" will be met with a shrug. He still failed.

I think I agree - if Potter wants to step into the big league, he needs to be careful about his next move. A failure at Chelsea could blot his copy book for a long time (look what we're saying about Nathan Jones and his time at Stoke). Having said that, with Chelsea's squad you would have thought that Potter can achieve a top 4 finish relatively easily.

He'll know all this though!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Oh well, that's sad. Let's hope we re-employ Gus as manager, So we don't have to buy a new set of training kit.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I haven't read the whole thread. Has anyone written: "Why would he want to leave us to go to a club that are below us in the table?" Nonsense I know, but it might be the only chance we'll ever get to say it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think I agree - if Potter wants to step into the big league, he needs to be careful about his next move. A failure at Chelsea could blot his copy book for a long time (look what we're saying about Nathan Jones and his time at Stoke). Having said that, with Chelsea's squad you would have thought that Potter can achieve a top 4 finish relatively easily.

He'll know all this though!

Bare in mind that Chelsea operated outside Tuchel's control in this window. Behind the scenes he didn't want the likes of Gordon, who was pursued anyway, and some of the signings weren't who he wanted to target. He's been given £250m worth of players, but what is the value of that if you're not actually in control of the comings and goings?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Of course he’ll go if he’s offered it. Then we’ll see how good our succession planning really is. Even more annoying is it’s happening just before a very winnable game on Saturday.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

I think you are spot on.

A failure at Chelsea will mean he is well down the list for another crack at that type of job.

He might well pick up another PL job, in fact I’d be surprised if he didn’t. But it certainly wouldn’t be as good as the one he has now, that’s for sure.

Also Potter is only a cog (all be it a very important one) in the machine at the Albion. He will be very aware of everything that has led him to being a success here, and he will know that to replicate it elsewhere he will need all of those elements.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I feel so… sad.
:cry:

I really believed that this season was going to see us build on the last and see us on the cusp of something very special. Now it’s all up in the air. I’ve this awful feeling that last weekend might turn out to be our high water mark, our ceiling, if you will. He’s been so transformative for the club, it’s hard to envisage what comes next.

I’ve absolute confidence that Bloom has a succession plan in place but no confidence that any of the available options are better or even equivalent.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's an interesting one.

I don't think it's cut and dried either way.
GP is an intelligent bloke and will see the situation for what it is,
If he's impressed by the Chelsea management and their plans, then he will go, but I don't think he will go just because it's a big 6 club.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Hmm, we aren't objective as fans are we. Interesting stuff on the BBC Sport website about the brutality of sacking Tuchel, the lack of a Director of Football and the role Tuchel had which was away from the day to day coaching in recent weeks.
Graham will want assurances on his role etc. How does he know about the relationship with the DoF when there isn't one.
I think he'll go but not 100% sure.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's an interesting one.

If he's impressed by the Chelsea management and their plans, then he will go, but I don't think he will go just because it's a big 6 club.

Tuchel has a 60% win rate. Won the Champions League for Chelsea. Got to consecutive FA Cup finals and the EFL final. All in the space of 100 games of football. And still sacked the moment it started going a bit wrong, and not Leicester wrong, in fact less wrong than Liverpool are going this season. They're absolutely ruthless. You have no time to turn around any kind of dip in form.

Funnily enough, Potter's regime with Brighton has seen quite a few dips in form and had the full backing from the owner. Absolutely nailed certainty he won't get the same support and patience at Chelsea that he got here.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Tuchel has a 60% win rate. Won the Champions League for Chelsea. Got to consecutive FA Cup finals and the EFL final. All in the space of 100 games of football. And still sacked the moment it started going a bit wrong, and not Leicester wrong, in fact less wrong than Liverpool are going this season. They're absolutely ruthless. You have no time to turn around any kind of dip in form.

Funnily enough, Potter's regime with Brighton has seen quite a few dips in form and had the full backing from the owner. Absolutely nailed certainty he won't get the same support and patience at Chelsea that he got here.

It's pretty normal for an incoming chairman to want his own man at the helm though

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Lots of comments on BBC, Twitter etc. from supposed non-Brighton fans who think he should reject any offer and stay with us!

Graham is clearly very switched on and I don't for one second blame him for meeting with them, nor would I blame him for leaving. He is not your typical journeyman top-6 manager that jumps from big club to big club, he will make an informed decision in the interest of his long-term career, rather than make a decision for short-term gain.

I don't agree with those saying he will "definitely go", but I do agree that he would be mental not to consider it. He will need assurances that the structure, culture and support from the whole club will allow him to perform at his best and Chelsea themselves may feel that a restructure of this nature is not as appealing as going with a more tried and tested journeyman manager with European experience such as Poch or Zizou.

I really bloody hope he doesn't go but "it is what it is". If he does go, I have full faith in TB and the club that they will make the right decision on a replacement.

SAC

May 21, 2014
John Terry to be Chelsea manager. Please. Please. Please.

Although I'd hate to see someone like him getting more money, it would be worth it just for the shits and giggles.

If Potter really is only on £35k a week, and someone like Frank Lampard is on £96k a week, who would blame him if he wanted to leave?

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Potter being the type of guy he is, I wouldn't be surprised if he said it would be disrespectful to just ignore an approach without seeing what's on offer, hence the trip to London. I really hope he'll stay but honestly can't see which way this is going. Not in denial, just think he's got a measured approach and may want to finish the job with us.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It's an interesting one.

How about for the 4 x salary, chance to work with elite players and CL football, without even having to move house or change his kids’ schools? No chance he’ll turn it down if offered, sadly.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Hmm, we aren't objective as fans are we. Interesting stuff on the BBC Sport website about the brutality of sacking Tuchel, the lack of a Director of Football and the role Tuchel had which was away from the day to day coaching in recent weeks.
Graham will want assurances on his role etc. How does he know about the relationship with the DoF when there isn't one.
I think he'll go but not 100% sure.

Just read as well that their futile chase of Antony Gordon from everton was not wanted by Tuchel, but he had no say. Boehly is using some stats database to pick players.

Sounds like it's a bit of a basketcase place at the moment.

My big issue is they meet his buyout, and GP goes, just out of courtesy/ interest and if he then gets turned down or turns it down, how that may damage his current relationship with the players and the general 'together' mood.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is this why he was sacked, or is there more to it, the new owner may want a different manager who they like/want.

Given they spent £250m in the summer, if that was the case why not just do it then? Seems a bit of an odd strategy to wait 8 games then do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports