Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The latest words of ‘wisdom’ from the orange one.

People are dying that have never died before!

:facepalm:

Claim

Referring to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. President Donald Trump said, "People are dying today that have never died before."

Rating

False

As the COVID-19 pandemic took hold in countries around the world, U.S. President Donald Trump began holding regular press briefings to provide updates on the U.S. government’s response to the crisis. And in mid-March 2020, social media users claimed that during one of these public sessions Trump said, “People are dying that have never died before.” (We have cropped out user names for privacy.)

This does not appear to reference a real quote uttered by Trump, but instead a long-standing internet joke.

Noticeably, none of the social media posts claiming Trump made this statement included a video clip or other proof he said it, and that’s because there was none to show. We found no evidence that Trump said this during any recent public announcements about the coronavirus disease.

However, we did find that this quote has appeared on Twitter as far back as 2008:

"People are dying that have never died before..."
George Wallace 9.16 AM - Aug 21, 2008

We found no documentation of Trump made this comment. (Nor any evidence that former Alabama Gov. George Wallace said it either.) We therefore rate this claim “False.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-quote-never-died-before/

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I wouldn't bother arguing with TB, his boy can do no wrong in his eyes. This despite his " The Coronavirus will be gone in a few days/ I knew it would be a pandemic before the WHO called it as such " bollocks.

He can do plenty wrong.

All politicians are self serving *****.

In the end they all just **** over the tax payer and waste our hard earned money.

That's not even debatable. It's the one truth about them all.

But to sit there and pretend your side is better than their side is bullshit. Your guy will **** someone over just as well as Trump will **** someone else over.

It's the cycle of partisan hack politics.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Unfortunately things are not going "incredible" from a person living here and seeing what is happening first hand, he is not doing a good job at all.

He has dismissed how serious this is from day one, only this last week has he been forced to change his tune. There are not enough test kits available any where, you will only be granted a test kit if your fever is above 104 AND you have the cough at the same time where we live. We inquired for a neighbour who is suffering and were told that we could pay privately for a test at a cost of $200.

So, knowing that we are short on many relevant supplies, and the one country that has an abundance of these supplies (China) that could now be in a position to start supplying, he decides that rather than work with them to ease our supply issues, he goes ahead and starts a verbal war with them, pissing China off no end.

Ridiculous leadership.

Totally agree. Whenever Trump and Pence appear on TV I switch channels. In times like these people are looking for calm leadership and reassurance, all this clown does is go on about how great the economy was, trades racist remarks and what great strides his administration is making. It's good to see most State Governors are doing their own thing. I wouldn't put it past him to screw around with help to NYC because of his relationship with de Blasio and Cuomo - he is that petty and vindictive.

How are things in California? NYC is deserted, most people working from home and self isolating. De Blasio is supposed to be making an announcement in the next day or so about all New Yorkers having to Shelter in place. So far quite impressed with the way the Mayor and Governor are handling this. Take care

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Albeit a bit slow to act I think he has been pretty coherent and collected in his last three-four press conferences. And while he has called it "the China virus" etc he's also made clear that the virus is "nobodys fault" and that he dont blame China even if "they could have notified us a lot earlier". And in general I'm not a fan of the man but I've always been pleased that he is the only Western leader that dares to critisise Jinping and China (in general that is - the virus is not much to say about).

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Totally agree. Whenever Trump and Pence appear on TV I switch channels. In times like these people are looking for calm leadership and reassurance, all this clown does is go on about how great the economy was, trades racist remarks and what great strides his administration is making. It's good to see most State Governors are doing their own thing. I wouldn't put it past him to screw around with help to NYC because of his relationship with de Blasio and Cuomo - he is that petty and vindictive.

How are things in California? NYC is deserted, most people working from home and self isolating. De Blasio is supposed to be making an announcement in the next day or so about all New Yorkers having to Shelter in place. So far quite impressed with the way the Mayor and Governor are handling this. Take care

Thanks for asking bud. Things here are quite worrying, but with an underlying sense of comfort with the decisions being made by local figureheads.

People are out panicking, going over the top on supplies etc, but thankfully there seems to be an element of learning from what Italy/Iran have not done. So the schools are closed, people are for the most part working from home and self isolating, and any conversations are being held at almost shouting distance with neighbors.

The complete lack of being prepared at the Governmental level is what most here are super pissed about. This was not a blindside, we have been watching China deal with this since early January, yet 6 weeks later and the Trumpster is acting as if it is an overnight surprise. The constant self back patting on the briefings, ignoring any questions that probe, having no plan A, B or C to deal with this is truly frightening. To see him in the press conferences shows him for he really is, an over inflated salesman, who has been caught out in a pitch way above his comfort zone, his sobering appearances and lack of confidence is really showing him up for what he is. A con man. If shit was not so scary, you could almost make a Fools and Horses episode from this.

Like wise, look after you and yours sir.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1240056993290821640[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This really needs to kept for posterity when/if we get through this. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I get why people don't like Twitter.
My continual use of it comes from the simple fact I don't look 'below the line'.

At some point yesterday, I broke my golden rule, just for a few seconds, on a Trump related tweet.

Someone had replied incredibly supportive of everything Donny 45 had said and done, to that point.
I clicked again and saw it wasn't a spoof troll, I assume everyone is a spoof troll, (thanks NSC :lol: ) it wasn't.
The replies she was getting had me backing out of there super quick, back to the safety of cycling deals, drunk people falling over, urban mobility and Max Rushden.

Now I was and to be honest, still am, pretty slow on the Coronavirus but even then taking every utterance Trump has said as gospel, or even thinking 'hes done a good job recently' I find positively mind blowing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The worst time to have a popularist in charge of the most powerful country in the world. At a time where he should be stepping up to help bring the world together on this, he is still struggling to contemplate what’s going on.

Someone, on one of my podcasts of choice, possibly Chuck Todd, said Trump views everything through Wall Street.

That was how he felt his presidential legacy would be viewed.
With that in mind he just couldn't/wouldn't see beyond Wall Street tanking to the bigger picture as too why.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Dangerous dangerous man, dangerous followers.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My continual use of it comes from the simple fact I don't look 'below the line'.

At some point yesterday, I broke my golden rule, just for a few seconds, on a Trump related tweet.

Someone had replied incredibly supportive of everything Donny 45 had said and done, to that point.
I clicked again and saw it wasn't a spoof troll, I assume everyone is a spoof troll, (thanks NSC :lol: ) it wasn't.
The replies she was getting had me backing out of there super quick, back to the safety of cycling deals, drunk people falling over, urban mobility and Max Rushden.

Now I was and to be honest, still am, pretty slow on the Coronavirus but even then taking every utterance Trump has said as gospel, or even thinking 'hes done a good job recently' I find positively mind blowing.

I don't actually do Twitter, but, in the interests of sanity and open democracy I tracked this down to You Tube and posted it up on Facebook. Trump should be tied to a chair with his eyelids glued open and made to watch this on a loop for 12 hours a day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There are people who are convinced it is a Democrat hoax trying to discredit Trump!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[tweet]1240314981721268225[/tweet]

What possible reason could Trump have for being the only person, on the planet, to call Coronavirus the 'chinese virus'.

I refer you to post #5125. Although, he's not the *only* person to call it that have pointed out. A lot of his fans have clipped up videos of the 'Fake News Media' calling it that too. Only thing is they did it months ago, when it was still pretty much confined to that country/region. As opposed to old Trumpo who keeps on doing it now, because he can't resist an opportunity to spew hate in someone's – or something's – direction.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The worst time to have a popularist in charge of the most powerful country in the world. At a time where he should be stepping up to help bring the world together on this, he is still struggling to contemplate what’s going on.

He is a populist but more worryingly he's an idiot.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Gabbard now backing Biden which is disappointing.

Bernie is finished. Senile Joe and his corrupt corporate Democrats to face Trump in the 2020 elections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here