Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump/Farrage/NATO

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
At my age I seem to see shadows everywhere, but is anyone else pooing themselves at the prospect of the next few years?

The rise of the alt-right is as bad as the neoliberalism we've seen previously. That coupled with the post fact bullsh*t espoused by the likes of Trump and Farage is definitely cause for concern.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The rise of the alt-right is as bad as the neoliberalism we've seen previously. That coupled with the post fact bullsh*t espoused by the likes of Trump and Farage is definitely cause for concern.

You are wrong, we have seen the consequences of neo liberalism, it encapsulates the global banking crisis, illegal wars, the ascendency of global corporatism and a wide open door to global migration.

It is these matters collectively and/or individually that have bestowed power to these alt-right wing (to use your reference) politicians. Brexit and Trump are merely symptoms of this dynamic.

They may turn out to be worse, but we will truly need 15-20 years to judge.

You may dislike Farage and Trump but they have not got blood on their hands like Blair. For every moan you make about them, you should have 20 about Blair.

Perspective is everything dear boy.......

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
You are wrong, we have seen the consequences of neo liberalism, it encapsulates the global banking crisis, illegal wars, the ascendency of global corporatism and a wide open door to global migration.

It is these matters collectively and/or individually that have bestowed power to these alt-right wing (to use your reference) politicians. Brexit and Trump are merely symptoms of this dynamic.

You may dislike Farage and Trump but they have not got blood on their hands like Blair. For every moan you make about them, you should have 20 about Blair.

Hilarious.

So instead of recognising the rhetoric of the alt-right for what it is, we should wait 15-20 years for them to utilise useful idiots such as Trump, Farage and other traditional conservatives in order for them to establish and pursue their agenda? No thanks.

The appropriation of left and centre-left movements by Blair et al was evident very early on. Instead of curtailing it, people allowed them to continue. I'd rather not go through that again.

Perspective is everything? Yeah it maybe. However I'd say learning from previous mistakes more appropriate when choosing leaders.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

What the feck has Blair got to do with liberalism? !

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The awakening of Libertarianism is a beacon of hope.

You think that Trump etc are about Libertarianism? If so you have a very limited understanding of either of those things.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
What the feck has Blair got to do with liberalism? !

I think the Third Way approach to politics has huge influence from liberalism.

There is of course masses of diversity within definitions of liberalism, especially in the American and classical implementations.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm not concerned, it's all the fault of politicians for not listening to people in the first place. They get results they don't like and wonder why, and they still don't change now. Now labour are blaming the rise of the robots, for people feeling left out, I get that but no mention of population increase. Now the ball is on the other foot for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

From the moment DT won I've been less concerned about him and more concerned and who is put around him.

The appointment of Steve Bannon is a worrying development, whilst UKIP were bragging they'd hijacked the Tories, the KKK are claiming similar with the Republicians.

As for Farage, whilst he has earned his place in history, his narcissist character is ultimately his undoing, he is and always has been all about him. A more conciliatory tone after meeting Trump might have earned him some kind of role within government.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
From the moment DT won I've been less concerned about him and more concerned and who is put around him.

The appointment of Steve Bannon is a worrying development, whilst UKIP were bragging they'd hijacked the Tories, the KKK are claiming similar with the Republicians.

As for Farage, whilst he has earned his place in history, his narcissist character is ultimately his undoing, he is and always has been all about him. A more conciliatory tone after meeting Trump might have earned him some kind of role within government.

Totally agree. Steve Bannon is an unscrupulous high level manipulator, and Farage is clearly revelling in the attention he is getting stateside.

Here's some comic relief.... https://www.indy100.com/article/donald-trump-nigel-farage-photo-trump-tower-7414581

larus

Bannon seems a nasty piece of work.

Farage has largely been responsible for BREXIT happening. CMD felt cornered as the loss of votes to UKIP., so tried to negate this with the promise of the referendum. No matter what many of the 'lefties' claim, he has connected with vast numbers of people across both of the main parties, either those who are racist, disillusioned with traditional politics or anti EU.

So many 'lefties' want to tar those who voted to leave the EU as racist/thick. Well, I'm neither. I'm a consultant and earn quite a high income. My gf is not Caucasian.

The real issue (IMO) is that so many people (middle England and blue collar workers) have had a gut full of traditional politics. So, along comes Farage/Trump and, to many people they are a breath of fresh air. Not sucking up to the establishment and speaking in direct/blunt language. People are fed up with the traditional parties opposing the others policies just for the sake of it. Christ, the NHS is safe with the Tories as much as the economy was safe under New Labour (I'd be more concerned with the current Labour team), but rather than work together, or give an honest appraisal of the country, it's all cheap point scoring.

Then people wonder why Farage/Trump get influence.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I will be very surprised if Donalds four years makes any significant change to the US or the world. There is a limit as to what any president can achieve in such a short space of time.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What has Gary Johnson got to do with Trump? Or the alt-right for that matter?

You're the one who linked Trump to my statement.

I just stated Libertarianism is becoming an option for those sick of the right and the left. It's a re-emergence of the individual who is sick of authoritarians.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I suggested (tongue in cheek) Farage should be our new US Ambassador a few days ago ...

113550697_Farage_Trump-large_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

... they clearly have a special relationship so perhaps not the worst idea to give it a go. Sadly HMG have already poo pooed the idea.

Now that is what I call a door!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here