Troy Davis execution...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Reading through the summaries, what it appears to be is that once there had been a conviction by jury, any appeals seem to have shifted the burden of proof to effectively providing proof of evidence of innocence (not guilt) beyond all reasonable doubt. So the fact that there is an awful lot of doubt which has since comes to light matter not one jot to the Georgian courts.

Is that the way Georgia really operates? Especially in capital cases.

Whatever, it appears Georgia is very keen to get his man executed. Bizarre.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How can they KNOWINGLY kill a man of a crime they can't be 100% sure he did? I don't have a problem so to speak with the death penalty although I guess this is the problem, I would hazard a guess he is not the only innocent man who is going to be executed and he won't be the first.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Fair enough, but the fact that this man is going to be executed by the state on what appears to be very flimsy evidence "drives a coach and horses" through the pro-hanging lobby's argument.

Let me guess, this man is black and not affluent enough to have a decent lawyer?

I'm not commenting on this individual case, its the non deterrent argument i am questioning.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
However, the burden of proof has to lie on those in favour of the death penalty, surely? If you cannot prove that it does act as a deterrent, you cannot use that as an argument in favour.

(Obviously 'you' doesn't mean you personally...)
As I said to Simster, it's the non detereent argument I'm questioning, not commenting on this particular case.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not commenting on this individual case, its the non deterrent argument i am questioning.

As I said to Simster, it's the non detereent argument I'm questioning, not commenting on this particular case.

Having said that, this particular case doesn't appear to be about deterrent - that is another argument here.

This one appears to be about the application of law, and this is what many people are feeling incredulous about.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London

Absolutely. It's the deterrent/non-deterrent argument/debate that I'm questioning. My point remains - the burden of proof lies on those who are making the argument. If the reason for having capital punishment is that it acts as a deterrent, then that government must prove the argument that it deters. As you (seem to) imply above - it hasn't been proven. To execute someone for a reason that hasn't been demonstrated to exist is wrong (IMHO obviously, even if it does sound like an obvious statement to me)

(Obviously, if the reason for having capital punishment is some other moral/religious reason then it's a separate debate altogether).

To understand why Troy Davis is going to be executed one only needs to watch the last republican presidential canditate 'debate' and listen to the sick redneck's whoop and holler when rick perry says he is proud of having been the governor who has executed the most people.

And then you need to think about the fact that the audience is the elite of the republican party and were all specifically invited as they are the policy makers in right wing American politics.

Then sit down, put your head in your hands and be VERY afraid of what will happen if someone like perry or bachmann gets elected.

Edit to add link to telegraph report on the 'debate' including a video of the audience reaction.

Video: Rick Perry's execution record greeted by wild applause from Republicans - Telegraph

And remember, perry executes children and mentally disabled/retarded people as well as those shown by dna evidence to be almost certainly innocent.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
How can you measure the amount of people it HAS deterred ? There was a study which tried using the difference between states with and without the death penalty , but the differing socio economic conditions exposed the fact that it couldnt be done with any degree of certainty.

It was a rash claim, admittedly.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
"But in June 2010, a fresh appeal was dismissed with Judge William Moore finding only one of the witness recantations was wholly credible."

So, they believe witnesses when they testify against the defendant, but don't believe the same witnesses when they retract their testimony. How does that work exactly ? Do they think pressure has been bought to bear on these people to withdraw their statements ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4398459 said:
Sorry got confused with the time zones. He will be executed at 7PM Eastern US time tonight, so I make that approx midnight in the UK...

Ahhh well it's not all bad then....he'll at least get to see the game this evening!

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Execution delayed by US supreme court

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World

Mine

Odious Bureaucrat
Sep 16, 2011
This on the same day one of the racists who chained James Byrd, Jr. to the back of a pickup truck and dragged him three miles to his death met his maker courtesy of Texas. This world is a better place without Lawrence Brewer walking amongst us.

I believe in the death penalty for people like him. Same goes for Timothy McVeigh, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, and a host of others who proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they no longer deserved their life.

Do I cheer the existence of lethal injection? No. Do I believe it should be difficult to implement the death penalty? Yes. Troy Davis was sentenced in 1989. He had 20-plus years' worth of appeals. This isn't Wild West justice at work; Mr. Davis wasn't convicted last week and sentenced to death this week. There is an appeals process, both through state and national channels, that Davis' attorneys thoroughly utilised. He lost at every turn, from state courts to the Federal level.

And if banning the death penalty results in life for future fascist scum like Mr. Brewer who decide they want to murder someone because of the colour of their skin, their ethnicity, or their sexual orientation, then count me as someone who will always oppose such a proposition. I don't want a see a time where a McVeigh-clone like Mr. Breivak can walk into a youth camp in the United States, wantonly murder everyone he can aim at, and get a cot and three hots courtesy of the state for the remainder of his life in return for his efforts.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
it's pretty amazing that casey anthony gets off for lack of evidence but this guy gets the death penalty. but whatever, not shocked at all considering how often these executions take place. rip

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I am in favour of the death penalty, but somthing here just doesn't add up, the evidence to convict is minimal, but for the death penalty... words fail me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports