Trick or Treat - Discuss

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
We just get the local children normally accompanied by their parents (who we don't know, but often acknowledge when passing in the street). I think it's harmless fun for the young'ens, but only when you know whose door your knocking on. Why would parents trust food from strangers anyway?

My attitude would certainly change if 'teens' starting turning up.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
What is 1 night out of 365 days to you and it only lasts a couple of hours 6-8pm. Hardly an inconvenience imo.

Tell that to the little old lady who lives alone in the house next door to me!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What is 1 night out of 365 days to you and it only lasts a couple of hours 6-8pm. Hardly an inconvenience imo.

Might do round your way, it's an open invitation to vandalism elsewhere.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
it's all about:

430423028_teacher_egged_0_large.jpeg

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
nope, i cant remember when kids started celebrating Halloween over here, all i know is i'm 51 and cant remember knowing anything about it when i was a kid.
i hate it

I'm only a couple of years younger than that, and we had kids parties every Halloween (in Brighton) in the late 60s/early 70s. Used to dress up as witches or - like me - take the lazy option and bung a sheet over your head and pretend to be a ghost. I remember carving up pumpkins and bobbing for apples in friends' back gardens (the latter being difficult at the best of times, but ruddy impossible if you've got a sheet over your head...).

What we never had however, thank Gus, was trick or treating. That didn't come in for another decade or so. But I do remember having a saucepan of iced water ready by the door waiting for the kids who mistakenly visited our our student house in the early 80s - in fact, i can specifically date that event to 1984 - so it must have arrived in the UK by then...

Last edited:

When I was a kid, living in the capital city of God's Own County, we had Mischievous Night. Much better than tricking or treating - it left the lasting legacy of a trashed neighbourhood.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Annoying?

It's nothing less than begging.

Nothing at my house (fortunately a rural lane) apart from a closed door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports