Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tributes to David Cameron

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Going to have to pull you up on the inclusion of Bair in that list...your subsequent description of Cameron would fit Blair equally well
Inclusion of Blair because he went with what he believed to be the right thing to do despite it being massively unpopular. He was completely and totally incorrect but he made the decision/s anyway. This is why he can be bracketed with the others and Cameron cannot.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, and ease remember this is just an opinion / belief but I truly think he has messed up up Britain for a long, long time to come by giving into his back benchers and trying to get votes from people who would have otherwise voted UKIP by holding this totally unnecessary referendum and then if that wasn't bad enough, running away.

Now, I know all the arguments against this opinion and I know I'll be called a whinger but that is my belief and I'm sticking to it.

And he ****ed a pig's face.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The Bedroom tax
The pasty tax
The caravan tax
Bombing Syria
Bombing Libya
The EU referendum
Forcing Academy status on schools
Cuts to PIPS
Cuts to Family tax credits
The remain campaign

Just a few of the things he got wrong or had to backtrack on
who mess was he trying to clear up.
He offered the referendum in the manifesto and kept his word.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Decent guy who sorted out the mess Labour left behind and I think he'll be remembered as a good Prime Minister. Still covered up the figures about immigration which played a big part in his downfall. The arrogance of wanting to leave in 2020 after winning three elections also came back to haunt him. Best PM since Maggie Thatcher though.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
The Bedroom tax
The pasty tax
The caravan tax
Bombing Syria
Bombing Libya
The EU referendum
Forcing Academy status on schools
Cuts to PIPS
Cuts to Family tax credits
The remain campaign

Just a few of the things he got wrong or had to backtrack on

Not forgetting £4 billion in disabled welfare (thank God it was blocked) cuts while increasing the international aid budget by billions and paying our fine £1.8 billion to the EU because our economy was doing better than France and the billions in bail outs for failing EU states. When will the Republic of Ireland pay us back our £12 billion loan?, never. The government's past and present are a ****ing disgrace.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Shouldn't have needed one - there should have been referendums on the Maastricht Treaty, the Single European Act, the Lisbon Treaty, etc. Then we'd have been out and settled long ago.

Referenda are not part of the way this country has been governed historically. We elect a government once every 5 years, for better or for worse, to deal with these things.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He probably just felt he was doing the honourable thing by handing over the mantle to those brave, bold, strong heroes, those great leaders of the Brexiteers, King Boris, Lord Nigel, Empress Andrea, assuming they would be the best people to guide this country forward, what with all their meticulously worked out plans, grand ideas, and visionary minds. Sadly, he wasn't to know that that mantle would crumble and slip like sand through their fingers no sooner had they touched it.

They delivered a result. Thats all they had to do. How could anyone lay down plans, ideas and visions until they know who is going to be driving through change and what the terms of our exit are. The Remain camp knew what they were voting for. An ever increasing EU. More and more expensive and faceless bureaucracy. More and more contribution from the UK and less and less return. A 73m population in 2030 and 80m in 2040 and total social meltdown. An inferior quality of life and less global opportunity. Their vision was clear.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Overall he did a reasonable job under difficult circumstances but he will go down in history as the man that unwittingly facilitated our exit from the EU with all the repercussions that flow from that (good or bad) being his true legacy.

Still at least this thread is one last chance to get the piggy related puns in ....

Interesting comments and one has to wonder if he felt that with opinions polls so tight for so long between Labour and the Tories he offered the EU vote to take the sting out of UK believing that a Tory/Liberal coalition was on the cards and that Clegg would never concede to a referendum ?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Two things:

Remaining wasn't straightforward - there was no clearly laid out path as to how far the United States of Europe plan would go, no definition about how long our opt-outs would last, when the Euro would become compulsory, the EU army, the compulsory allocation of refugees - there's a long list of unknowns.

The history of our involvement in the EU is a long saga of treaties being signed by our government without the consent of the UK people; signing these agreements was not specified in the party manifestoes on which we were allowed to vote. Such major constitutional changes (such as Scottish independence and PR) need to be put to the democratic vote of the electorate, not just agreed to by our representatives because they think we might like it, or ought to like it anyway.
Exactly this.

You should know by now that anyone who voted out is thick and doesn't understand the 'consequences' of such a decision. On the other hand, 'remainers' know what they're talking about. [emoji6]

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
We joined a Common Market - well before I could vote. Nobody has had a real say in the direction of the EU since. Labour lied about a referendum. Since I was first able to vote I've wanted a real say in the EU relationship - Cameron finally gave me that option. For all his many faults I'm grateful of that. To suggest voters are too stupid to be able to vote on such an issue suggests they are also too stupid to vote for a UK government. I know, let's stop voting altogether - we're too stupid to understand !

Nobody is saying voters are too stupid to vote on this, they ARE too ignorant to vote on it however, that isn't intended to be insulting to anybody, and I include myself in the comment.. Nobody knows what will happen as a result of leaving, therefore not one of us had the information we needed to vote. Both side, leave and remain, told a huge pack of lies and exaggerated to extremes in order to extract votes. The side that lied the most convincingly won. That is not democracy in my book.

If I need surgery, I'll go to a doctor, if my bog's blocked I'll call a plumber, in my car breaks down I'll call a mechanic. In none of these situations would I make a decision by popular vote, and whether or not we stay in europe is a far bigger decision than any of these.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
(response to quote "why not just hand the whole thing over to Brussels"): That's just the thing, I have a lot more faith in Brussels than I do in Westminster. So they've served us a few regulations on fishing and agriculture not everyone likes, but those industries aren't in that bad shape, are they? Compared to all the crap our own government give us... Give me Brussels any day (and yes it is democratic, representational democracy just like our own parliament)

You are having a laugh aren't you.
1) Farming.
UK farming declined in profitability by 29% in 2015. A loss of over £1.5bn. The biggest year-on-year fall since 2000. Now at its lowest level of profitability since 2007. The contribution of the agriculture sector fell by 14% ( £1.4bn ) in 2015. Reasons.....lower commodity prices, weaker demand, strength of sterling and delayed payments. Weak government in failing to support British farmers.
2) Fishing.
Words fail me if you think fishing is doing ok. Its been decimated. Try finding one single UK fisherman who voted Remain.
Case closed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here