Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tributes to David Cameron

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just picking up on one of the favourite threads on NSC at the present time, Football Banning Orders which are part of the Football Spectators Act 1989 did this derive from Brussels or was it wholly a Westminster law.
I have absolutely no idea! But as the rest of the world (and the leaders of the Tory party) seem to believe that only English fans are violent hooligans that need to be kept down, I suspect it was a Westminster law that Brussels never bothered to over-rule.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What has he achieved? Absolutely nothing, except to plunge the country into a potential, and completely unncessary, economic and constitutional crisis.

History will judge him very harshly, and rightly so.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What has he achieved? Absolutely nothing, except to plunge the country into a potential, and completely unncessary, economic and constitutional crisis.

History will judge him very harshly, and rightly so.

He will be remembered with gratitude by a majority of voters as the man who started the process of getting out of the EU. Of course, that legacy will be slightly tainted by the fact that he did it by mistake!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He will be remembered with gratitude by a majority of voters as the man who started the process of getting out of the EU. Of course, that legacy will be slightly tainted by the fact that he did it by mistake!

Majority of voters, yes - but I would suggest not the majority of the population. And a lot of those voters are now having doubts.

He wanted to remain in the EU so it was a massive blunder of cataclysmic proportions for him to call the Referendum. For that reason alone, he has failed abysmally.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Majority of voters, yes - but I would suggest not the majority of the population.
Well, if you're going to be silly about moaning it's not a majority, try this. Only 16M (25%) of the population (65,111,143) voted to remain.

And a lot of those voters are now having doubts.
What is this thing that remainers seem to have with straws (as in clutching at), and living in a state of permanent denial?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Best Prime Minister of my adult lifetime.

Always made the right decisions for the country despite it not always being best for him. Did amazingly well to hold together a coalition Government which no one had managed for a long long time and then won a majority based on his competence to run the economy when everyone including the polls thought he wouldn't. And finally he gave the people the first vote on whether to stay in the EU, something that many had been calling for since the 70's. A true politician who always put the country first. I am sad he has gone, I am sad that he felt he had to go, but again it shows the manner of the man. A true British hero.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Always made the right decisions for the country despite it not always being best for him. Did amazingly well to hold together a coalition Government which no one had managed for a long long time and then won a majority based on his competence to run the economy when everyone including the polls thought he wouldn't. And finally he gave the people the first vote on whether to stay in the EU, something that many had been calling for since the 70's. A true politician who always put the country first. I am sad he has gone, I am sad that he felt he had to go, but again it shows the manner of the man. A true British hero.

Also Slashed budget deficit and unemployment rate.....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Well, if you're going to be silly about moaning it's not a majority, try this. Only 16M (25%) of the population (65,111,143) voted to remain.

What is this thing that remainers seem to have with straws (as in clutching at), and living in a state of permanent denial?

Zzzzzz. The fact is very few young people voted - if they had, we would still be in the UK. Unfortuantely the old f**kes have f**ked us over. Hold on to your seat, it's going to be a bumpy ride. I sincerely hope you don't lose your job or your house.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Zzzzzz. The fact is very few young people voted - if they had, we would still be in the UK. Unfortuantely the old f**kes have f**ked us over. Hold on to your seat, it's going to be a bumpy ride. I sincerely hope you don't lose your job or your house.

If few young people voted then those that didn't can't have really cared about the outcome, one way or the other, so who knows which way they would have voted. This referendum was hardly sprung on us, campaign seems to have gone on for years, not months !! I expect there were plenty of young people more concerned about their chances of getting a job or social housing than whether or not they would be able to work in the EU. Not everyone has the same aspirations, or education levels. I agree with you that it will be a bumpy ride though

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If few young people voted then those that didn't can't have really cared about the outcome, one way or the other, so who knows which way they would have voted. This referendum was hardly sprung on us, campaign seems to have gone on for years, not months !! I expect there were plenty of young people more concerned about their chances of getting a job or social housing than whether or not they would be able to work in the EU. Not everyone has the same aspirations, or education levels. I agree with you that it will be a bumpy ride though

Young people never vote though do they? Even in elections. Probably a mixture of apathy and general disaffection with politics, etc. A shame - because it's going to affect them more than any other group in the long term.

I still feel leave voters were sold a lie. The backtracking on the £350m a week 'for the NHS', which was the main campaign message, on the morning the outcome was declared says it all.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

I agree with all of that but also, importantly, he called the referendum to foreclose the decades long Conservative infighting which shackled the normal actions of government. I don't believe he called the referendum with anything other than the remote expectation that the country would actually vote (in the majority) for it and this is reflected in the lack of pre planning for the eventuality. I have to say that there should have been percentages set for success of the poll (eg a 60% majority to exit the status quo).
Despite the bile expressed on here, he will be remembered as a decent and forward looking PM and, frankly, a hard act to follow.

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Young people never vote though do they? Even in elections. Probably a mixture of apathy and general disaffection with politics, etc. A shame - because it's going to affect them more than any other group in the long term.

I still feel leave voters were sold a lie. The backtracking on the £350m a week 'for the NHS', which was the main campaign message, on the morning the outcome was declared says it all.

A ridiculous claim, embarrassing I agree. Sadly this was one election where every vote counted, which is not the case usually. Sad that those who were able to exercise that choice chose not to. I remember being very excited at the age of 18 being able to vote, regardless that mine was a wasted vote as Wealden was and is a v safe Tory seat.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A ridiculous claim, embarrassing I agree. Sadly this was one election where every vote counted, which is not the case usually. Sad that those who were able to exercise that choice chose not to. I remember being very excited at the age of 18 being able to vote, regardless that mine was a wasted vote as Wealden was and is a v safe Tory seat.

My first ever vote was also a wasted one in Wealden...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Zzzzzzzz ....... we ARE still in the UK. Do keep up!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

eh? so the old people have fskd us because the young didnt go out to vote? how about you lay some blame at the door of the nonchalant youth? or even just lighten up and make the best of the situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here