Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travellers back!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
How much tax money is spent on unused land? None.
But the whole point is that they are NOT on unused land. The land is used by the public of Birghton and Hove for recreation and is paid for by them. Their tax money is spent on it's upkeep and on clearing up the mess that these travellers leave behind

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Absolutely, that is exactly the point - yet there is so much unused land that they could live on. Like I say, it should be strictly illegal for them to do this in tax paid public spaces - but part of the reason that it isn't is because they do not have good quality designated sites to go to.

So when they move on to this good quality non tax paid land who will provide the water and sewage facilities. Who will collect and deal with the refuse. Who will pay for policing etc etc ..........

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
They've just left Clayton rec and left and amazing amount of shit behind, and on the pavement round the back of the pavilion, literally left a load of shit behind. How can anyone live like that?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Absolutely, that is exactly the point - yet there is so much unused land that they could live on. Like I say, it should be strictly illegal for them to do this in tax paid public spaces - but part of the reason that it isn't is because they do not have good quality designated sites to go to.

But they then wouldn't 'travel'. They'd build a load of god awful looking houses on it and then we'd have the same problem when the next lot come along! Make it all illegal and f*** them back off to Ireland and Essex.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
People don't need water and sewerage companies to deal with these issues - they can do that themselves, just as anyone else can. If the communities decided that they wanted the convenience of these services, then they can pay for them like everyone else does.

And if they decided they didn't want the convenience of these services, which they wouldn't as they'd have to pay for it, they'd just shit on the floor and steal everybody else's stuff.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
People don't need water and sewerage companies to deal with these issues - they can do that themselves, just as anyone else can. If the communities decided that they wanted the convenience of these services, then they can pay for them like everyone else does.

What do they travel on? Cross country or do they use roads paid for by taxes? This concept of opting out of tax but requiring zero from society is nonsense. If they get ill, who looks after them? All people - everyone - needs policing. Some would say travellers need more than most. Who pays for that.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Contrary to popular belief, it is actually possible to survive without any help from these services. This includes incineration of waste, production of food and collection & sterilisation of water - all of which can be done for free within a community.

I'm sure all that's possible. It's just that gypsies prefer to leave stuff everywhere for someone else to clear up.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Contrary to popular belief, it is actually possible to survive without any help from these services. This includes incineration of waste, production of food and collection & sterilisation of water - all of which can be done for free within a community.

Please return to your planet.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Exactly where is the "unused land" you are referring to? Farm land? Parkland? Recreational land? Common land? Land someone owns as a land bank for future development? Or just some mythical land beyond a rainbow?

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
Do you really think communities would allow land to become overgrown and uninhabitable if they were living there? I have known communities that reside on land owned by generous farmers and they can do great things with the land they are borrowing.

You clearly haven't been up the Saltdean tye or Oval after the travellers have stayed there if you believe that's how it would be!

I call :fishing: !

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Exactly where is the "unused land" you are referring to? Farm land? Parkland? Recreational land? Common land? Land someone owns as a land bank for future development? Or just some mythical land beyond a rainbow?
Exactly what I've been trying to work out as I read the thread.

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
Well perhaps the law should change so that those who choose to opt out of tax paying, should not have access to the NHS and such. You obviously can't stop them using YOUR roads, but if that makes you bitter then you have a problem. You will also find that anthropologically speaking communities can be self policing without the need for such a service.

Then you'd have a case of families that are in poverty (not talking about travelers here) that would want to opt out of the NHS to save money, then being in trouble when little Timmy breaks his leg and doesn't have health insurance. This isn't America.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
As someone who spent several years working in rural Sussex, Hampshire, Kent and Surrey - I can safely say there are countless acres of land which are unused, neglected and overgrown yet still private land - I have no idea why though, I presume it has been ignored or forgotten by its owners.

Exactly, as it it is owned by someone - not f***ing pikeys!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Then you'd have a case of families that are in poverty (not talking about travelers here) that would want to opt out of the NHS to save money, then being in trouble when little Timmy breaks his leg and doesn't have health insurance. This isn't America.

How would they get there? Not on roads I had paid for and not them!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
The amount of hatred on this thread is shocking.

No-one can defend breaking the law and leaving a mess behind, but the reason this happens is that these people have a history and a culture that is currently almost impossible to maintain in this country. They don't have any land to go to, no one wants them nearby and they don't want to live in regular housing because it's at odds with their traditional way of life. Everywhere they go they are unwelcome and abused. Is it any wonder they behave antisocially? (Though I agree they don't help themselves by behaving that way.)

It's a similar story with native Americans and Australian aborigines. You take someone's way of life away and they will suffer from alcoholism, crime and an array of antisocial behaviours. That's what's happening here because our society isn't catering for travellers.

And before someone says they should go back where they came from, that's rubbish. There have been travelling communities in England and across Europe for centuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here