Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transfer Policy

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I guess my point that I was trying to make (badly) was that a few posters were saying it was a gamble to not purchase a least a striker to cover in case of a Welbeck injury and lack of back up experience. The club obviously considered this and took into account there are only 14 games to get through until the Jan window. So hopefully we might have one or two signings in Jan.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
How far behind them are we, even with their monster of a no 9?

It's strange I know but I think we might be doing something right :shrug:

:lolol:

We are doing great and this is why every season it's so frustrating when we go through the period where we don't have a decent fit striker in the squad, are forced to 'make do' and end up dropping points. It happens every year without fail!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I guess my point that I was trying to make (badly) was that a few posters were saying it was a gamble to not purchase a least a striker to cover in case of a Welbeck injury and lack of back up experience. The club obviously considered this and took into account there are only 14 games to get through until the Jan window. So hopefully we might have one or two signings in Jan.

Anyone would think that you were new on here :lolol:

It's the hope that kills you :wink:

A January striker signing is what we hope for every single January!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So hopefully we might have one or two signings in Jan.

Don't get your hopes up. TB has stated publicly he doesn't like doing business in the January transfer window.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Don't get your hopes up. TB has stated publicly he doesn't like doing business in the January transfer window.
He also said that he didn’t do loans into the club anymore. I’ve heard him say if we can strengthen from a position of strength he will do, so let’s see where we are in Jan.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He has said that, but then again he has signed many players in the January window including Caicedo and Mac Allister.

Fair point. Maybe he should have caveated it with "unless we find a real bargain".

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
He has said that, but then again he has signed many players in the January window including Caicedo and Mac Allister.

Although of course most South American leagues have their off seasons in January, so there is more imperative for them to sell at that point.

Other January signings we often make from Europe are ones for the future, who then go back on loan to the original club to finish up the season.

I'm sure we will go back for the kid Facundo Buonanotte in January, though we might face more competition by then.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think we need far more striker options simply because we are prone to going through sustained periods of not captitolising on our chances.

One injury to Welbeck and imo we're back to what happened at Fulham.

And the more competition there is for places in the team the more competitive players will be out on the pitch.

Welbeck right now doesn't have any competition for his spot when he's fit.

People haven't beomaned the lack of goals from midfield, they have bemoaned the lack of goals at times from anywhere.

We finished 9th last season with a GD of -2.

And that was on the back of the defenders performances rather than the forwards dominating opponent s.

Undav would be the obvious welbeck replacement , but I’m sure either Sarmiento and Trossard could deputise if needed

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Just hopelessly naive! The fact that the club has seen their strategy as a gamble I (ridiculously) believe they may be thinking of strengthening in January despite their reluctance to do business at this time.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Undav would be the obvious welbeck replacement , but I’m sure either Sarmiento and Trossard could deputise if needed

I don't see any of them being able to provide that physical presence up forward as a 9.

Welbeck allows other players to play in their best positions. Sarmiento or Trossard don't have that presence as the main striker.

We are better when we aren't playing a false 9.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here