Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transfer Policy

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The club are stating that they took the Qatar World Cup into consideration in their transfer policy. I took this to mean with fewer games between transfer windows they were happy to gamble on not bringing in more players. As well as the obvious are there any other areas that need strengthening? Another Center Half? LB cover ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Strikers who score goals. We don't have any of them at present.

As Manchester City have proved in the past and we are currently proving there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You think Welbeck needs replacing and you know that Undav can’t score in the PL?

If there was a striker available that the club thinks can score goals, fits in with our tactics, and is attainable don’t you think we’d have signed him?

Everyone has bemoaned the lack of goals from midfield since we got promoted, non scoring Welbeck has been helping them do just that, surely you’ve noticed?

Interesting thread by the OP though, makes sense re the thinking on the WC

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As Manchester City have proved in the past and we are currently proving there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You think Welbeck needs replacing and you know that Undav can’t score in the PL?

If there was a striker available that the club thinks can score goals, fits in with our tactics, and is attainable don’t you think we’d have signed him?

Everyone has bemoaned the lack of goals from midfield since we got promoted, non scoring Welbeck has been helping them do just that, surely you’ve noticed?

I think we need far more striker options simply because we are prone to going through sustained periods of not captitolising on our chances.

One injury to Welbeck and imo we're back to what happened at Fulham.

And the more competition there is for places in the team the more competitive players will be out on the pitch.

Welbeck right now doesn't have any competition for his spot when he's fit.

People haven't beomaned the lack of goals from midfield, they have bemoaned the lack of goals at times from anywhere.

We finished 9th last season with a GD of -2.

And that was on the back of the defenders performances rather than the forwards dominating opponent s.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The club are stating that they took the Qatar World Cup into consideration in their transfer policy. I took this to mean with fewer games between transfer windows they were happy to gamble on not bringing in more players. As well as the obvious are there any other areas that need strengthening? Another Center Half? LB cover ?

I think we're well set other than cover for Welbeck.

Colwill can cover at left back if play a 4 and if, as usual, we use WBs there are multiple options. 5 centre halfs should be sufficient too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It may not have been deliberate (it's almost a bit conspiracy theory) but the players we have sold aren't going to appear at the World Cup (Biss and Maupay) or unlikely to (Cucurella) - while what we do have is a lot of players who are mostly relatively under the radar who could (though some like Caicedo and Ali Mac are rapidly emerging from under the radar already this season), if they have a stellar WC, could double their value in Qatar - our Ecuadorian trion Caicedo, Ali Mac and Trossard of course, plus Sima for Senegal, Moder (if he is fit by then) for Poland, and possibly Veltman and Sanchez.
Even if we don't sell the lot for £50M to £100M each (joke, btw) Brighton's world-wide profile could be well enhanced .......................... and of course if there are mega, mega bids for someone in January as a result ....................

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think we're well set other than cover for Welbeck.

Colwill can cover at left back if play a 4 and if, as usual, we use WBs there are multiple options. 5 centre halfs should be sufficient too.

I agree with this.

In January, we could be looking for a permanent replacement for Burn rather than relying on a loan player. Ideally, Van Hecke should be getting more development minutes at his age, the club might try to address this.

Another couple of South American wonderkids might be on the menu too along with, of course, the Welbeck profile striker (Sima is this player but when will he be ready for the first team?).

Finally, there are two or three box office players the Big Six will be after. Keeping Caicedo, Mac Allister and Trossard will be really tough. We have seen with Biss and Maupay that we have to sell when contracts get close to running out. We might well have an option on Alexis and Leo for next season but next summer might see them both leave if they don’t extend, which in turn means that they are vulnerable to bids in January.

The good news is that Mac has Wee Billy as back-up and Tross has two or three youngsters of a similar profile to himself. We don’t have another Caicedo though.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

Completely agree - I’m a huge fan of Welbz, he’s a class act and is pivotal in our midfield scoring so many goals. The goals will come for him I’m certain. He should always be our no.1 striker even if we signed another in January and our performance at Fulham showed how much we missed him when he didn’t start. The club just needs to be sure they’ve got strong enough cover for him when he needs resting. I’m certain that any team outside of the big 6 would love to have him in their team.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I’d love to have Toney in this team

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

We are not Man City are we though! They are a team of world class players and even then they have just spent a large amount of cash so as they don't have to play a false 9!

Teams that choose to play a false typically do so because they have a world class player that has all the attributes needed...you need someone in that role who is a fantastic finisher, great on the ball and is also comfortable receiving under pressure between the lines i.e. Messi at Barcelona.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

I know he pays for everything and is entitled to give himself a game, but a little too short imho

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We are not Man City are we though! They are a team of world class players and even then they have just spent a large amount of cash so as they don't have to play a false 9!

Teams that choose to play a false typically do so because they have a world class player that has all the attributes needed...you need someone in that role who is a fantastic finisher, great on the ball and is also comfortable receiving under pressure between the lines i.e. Messi at Barcelona.

I sort of agree with this.

I'm struggling to think of any teams who have play a false 9 set up successfully who didn't have outstanding midfielders. I just don't see it as a mid table side formation. If you have Iniesta or David Silva type players through your team it's a doable strategy. For teams full of mortals, you need the option of the old fashioned virtues Hanging it up to the back post sometimes, working the channels, long throws if you need a goal with a few minutes left.

I've never seen Trossard look effective as the lone striker and I don't really see Mwepu, Gross as likely to excel in this role either.

That leaves Undav as the next in line and Ferguson after that. We'll have to see if their play outside the box will be effective enough to mean that we don't need to change our style.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Congrats some of the above on a thoroughly pessimistic thread completely off topic. You naysayers sniff half a chance at having a moan and leap on it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
False number 9 = Forward. No.9’s = Forwards.

Wish everyone would stop using this latest stupid term!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How far behind them are we, even with their monster of a no 9?

It's strange I know but I think we might be doing something right :shrug:

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here