Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer Intrigue

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One thing is for sure if Gus doesn't sign anyone our chances of a top six finish will go out the window. The side does need a breath of fresh air to give us a final push.

I'm undecided whether it is a striker we need of a creative midfielder to service our strike force, CMS and Dobbie haven't become bad players over night they definatelty have something but maybe we currently aren't creating the right sort of chances for them.

Really it all depends on the finances made available by the board or monies raised by selling current squad members you are right "transfer intrigue", January is going to make or break our season on and off the pitch.
I don't believe that to be the case.

No transfers in would mean Gus (assuming we are still drawing games at the end of the month) would have to stop playing players in similar and defensive roles.

How many Bridcutt's do we need in any one game?
Does Hammond need to virtually be a centre back?
Do we need a defensive minded left midfielder/winger?

If we reach a point in the season where Gus feels we need to kick on, and he has to confidence to 'free up' the midfield, he has more than enough quality attacking players at his disposal, to do the job, it's just letting them.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I don't believe that to be the case.

No transfers in would mean Gus (assuming we are still drawing games at the end of the month) would have to stop playing players in similar and defensive roles.

How many Bridcutt's do we need in any one game?
Does Hammond need to virtually be a centre back?
Do we need a defensive minded left midfielder/winger?

If we reach a point in the season where Gus feels we need to kick on, and he has to confidence to 'free up' the midfield, he has more than enough quality attacking players at his disposal, to do the job, it's just letting them.
While I agree that the three holding players doesn't work at home as this is far too negative I don't agree with the "If we reach a point in the season where Gus feels we need to kick on" surely that should have been in August.

Draws simply aren't good enough, win one and lose one would give us a better point tally than draws every week.

We do have the quality but not in the centre of the park with creative players, I'd rather see Dicker play in the central diamond as he does try to pass the ball forward and not sideways as is the case with Bridcutt and Hammond. Maybe even play Lopez in a central role he has fantastic vision and touch.

Gus isn't far from having a good side but he lacks that little bit of flair to light up the middle of the park.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If we need cash for a striker I can see us selling Bridcutt with Hammond and Crofts both very capable alternatives. He is surely our best asset at present although to some degree it is a shame that our stand out player this season is a defensive midfielder. If someone like Orlandi or KLL turns it on consistantly for the rest of the season we will make the play-offs

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Bridcutt is essential to the way we play - what we do not need is Bridcutt + hammond + crofts. A maximum of 2 of those.
I would like to see bridcutt lopez orlandi as the centre 3.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Don't want us to lose Bridcutt or Buckley....CMS leaving would dissapoint me too, but theres no smoke without fire (in terms of offers) and if it means getting in a big number 9 that can score goals then I can see Gus doing it.

How is Craig Davies getting along at Barnsley these days?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't think Hammo and Crofts truly cover a Bridders. He darts in there, nips, charges, spoons. The other two are generally positioned defensive midfielders, preventers, rather than lunging reclaimers. Bridders must be kept. We just need to work endlessly on his end-of-game long-ballery.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I don't think Hammo and Crofts truly cover a Bridders. He darts in there, nips, charges, spoons. The other two are generally positioned defensive midfielders, preventers, rather than lunging reclaimers. Bridders must be kept. We just need to work endlessly on his end-of-game long-ballery.

Agreed, he is class, and I have been a huge fan of his since he owned Peterborough a couple of years ago.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Given your quote above, Craig Noone is an obvious candidate! Couldn't quite get it together here in the current set up but going down a storm for Cardiff.

Couldn't get it together or Gus didn't know how to get the best out of him. ?.

How many players do we currently have in the squad, who have turned into a real Gem and played far better for us then there previous Clubs!. :shrug:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Danny graham could well be our number one Target. I think Swansea and their system only allows one central striker, Michu is certainly going to play assuming he stays fit.

Left footed striker that can head the ball needed. Danny Graham is not a good header of the ball. Does not get in the box either.

Stumpy Tim

Bridcutt is essential to the way we play - what we do not need is Bridcutt + hammond + crofts. A maximum of 2 of those.
I would like to see bridcutt lopez orlandi as the centre 3.

If we played a proper 4-2-3-1, we could have Hammond/Crofts & Bridcutt protecting the back-four - and then unleash three of Lua Lua, Buckers, Dobbie, David, Orlandi and Vicente as a midfield attacking force. That's the way we should be playing in my opinion

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While I agree that the three holding players doesn't work at home as this is far too negative I don't agree with the "If we reach a point in the season where Gus feels we need to kick on" surely that should have been in August.

Draws simply aren't good enough, win one and lose one would give us a better point tally than draws every week.

We do have the quality but not in the centre of the park with creative players, I'd rather see Dicker play in the central diamond as he does try to pass the ball forward and not sideways as is the case with Bridcutt and Hammond. Maybe even play Lopez in a central role he has fantastic vision and touch.

Gus isn't far from having a good side but he lacks that little bit of flair to light up the middle of the park.
Yeah, but in order to win more we have to run the risk of losing, too.
As it stands that's obviously a risk Gus isn't prepared to take.

I do take issue with us not having the 'quality but not in the centre of the park with creative players'.
The creativity is there for all to see, Lopez, Orlandi, Crofts, even Dobbie, but they are rarely given a creative run out, and when they are it's only ever for one game before a change or we just shut up shop.

It took Orlandi 5 games to turn from good player to running the attacking game.
Nobody else has been given that luxury, because the presence of Hammond looms large.

We are playing 1 up front, a la Torres (L), Drogba, Van Persie but nobody is playing the role of Gerrard, Lampard and Cese.

Making us incredibly easy to defend against because there is no 10/15 goal player marauding through the middle.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Whilst I could handle losing CMS assuming we get a good price and at least one replacement, if Bridcutt goes then we are f***ed. The guy absolutely owns midfield and his influence on games is immense. We don't have a ready made replacement of his quality and what's more I don't think we'd find one without paying big money.

He is 100℅ essential to our team and everything we want to achieve. If we lose him our season is over

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Whilst I could handle losing CMS assuming we get a good price and at least one replacement, if Bridcutt goes then we are f***ed. The guy absolutely owns midfield and his influence on games is immense. We don't have a ready made replacement of his quality and what's more I don't think we'd find one without paying big money.

He is 100℅ essential to our team and everything we want to achieve. If we lose him our season is over

Not sure it is 'over' but that apart he is the single player we can ill afford to lose, even Buckley could be replaced if the fee was right but Bridcutt...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think if we are to pay top dollar for another striker someone has to go - one of CMS, Bridcutt or Buckley.

Bridcutt would easily be the biggest loss of the three

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think if we are to pay top dollar for another striker someone has to go - one of CMS, Bridcutt or Buckley.

Bridcutt would easily be the biggest loss of the three

Clearing out the deadwood from the squad will help (a bit) but I fear you are right that one of our top three players may have to go in order to make a really decent signing happen. However I really hope we keep all three - and add to them. If we are serious about becoming promotion contenders then we need depth and quality. I suppose it all hinges on the budget available to Gus and for example how good/expensive a striker he has on his list. Anyone with a Prem pedigree will not come cheap and maybe Gus will have to break the Club transfer record again. The transfer window will be an interesting indicator of how much deeper Tony Bloom is prepared to dig into his pockets in order to progress from here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here