Transfer Intrigue

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
What do folks think....I think this is possibly one of the genuinely more intriguing transfer windows for us in a long time.

A real balancing act for Gus...on one hand we could get some crazy offers for a couple of our key players which might be fine, but if we fail to win some decent signings it leaves promotion on the back burner for next season. Still not sure if promotion this season is a real target or a stretch target for Gus and that's interesting because that may or may not dictate the kind of business we do in January.

When I sit at the Amex and see some of the less convincing displays by some of our players I wonder what the other scouts see...do they see a very good player who is in the wrong team/set up or do they see someone who is showing the limits of their game? I'm not sure I know myself and it's hard to tell because I'm not convinced we always play in a way that sees the best of our players potential e.g. CMS.

We've seen a lot of stories about key signings we didn't win in the final hour, but Gus seems to have a broad outlook and is a manager for the future so we have every reason to beleive he can attract talent. I'm intreested, excited and anxious about this window for a change.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Certainly looks interesting as you say.
Some of the interest in our players is genuine - certainly Bridcutt and CMS. Can't decide if stains interest in Buckley is genuine or not.

I think we might lose one of those three and my money is on CMS going if only because it probably releases the most budget for the striker we need. He is a better player technically now than when we got him; more able to adapt. Sadly we still dont play the fast through ball that he thrives on. He will score more goals elsewhere whether Norwich or Leeds.

I heard the name of a Belgian striker mentioned the other day but I'm not sure if that was just because it is fashionable. I still think overseas is more likely than a homegrown player just on price and for once I think an early signing is in the offing.

Also think we will sign a bruising centreback who can contribute both ends of the pitch but that might be wishful thinking as the last piece of the jigsaw.

The hint of a "name" signing persists but who really knows ???

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
When I sit at the Amex and see some of the less convincing displays by some of our players I wonder what the other scouts see...do they see a very good player who is in the wrong team/set up or do they see someone who is showing the limits of their game? I'm not sure I know myself and it's hard to tell because I'm not convinced we always play in a way that sees the best of our players potential e.g. CMS.

Given your quote above, Craig Noone is an obvious candidate! Couldn't quite get it together here in the current set up but going down a storm for Cardiff.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's a tough one to call. Transfers will certainly dictate whether we finish mid-table or make a promotion charge this season. Who knows how much we have to spend, which players we are targeting, whether we are going to be able to keep hold of our key players etc etc. It's all very intriguing.

Gus did say he doesn't like doing business in January last season if I remember rightly, so I won't hold my breath on a big name coming in next month. It's either splash the cash and go for it this season, or settle for mid-table/possibly play-offs this season and spend big in Summer in preparation for a big push for the Prem next season. I think it will be the latter.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Gus has often quoted the impact of Jason Roberts to Reading last season, also the need for a number 9. He's also indicated that the player he is after is close to signing, although he qualified that in his latest (Watford 2) interview.

My view is we'll see this striker reasonably early in the transfer window, also that we'll break our transfer record in his purchase. Who it will be, I have no idea!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Given your quote above, Craig Noone is an obvious candidate! Couldn't quite get it together here in the current set up but going down a storm for Cardiff.

Craig was doing fine with us,it was obvious to all that our strikers were not good enough to get on the end of his crosses, we blamed poor service Cardiff saw poor strikers, to prove the point they are still not scoring from Buckleys Orlandis or KLLs crosses.Cardiff got a winger for nothing and we are stuck with two 3rd division strikers still blaming poor service for there lack of goals,Gus is not learning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Craig was doing fine with us,it was obvious to all that our strikers were not good enough to get on the end of his crosses
Or tall enough.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I dont think we can afford to loose Bridcutt, if he did go would have to be for a very good price.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I did like Noone & was disappointed to see him go but I have to say that's not a bad bit of business for the club as it's an area we actually have got covered.

a bit like midfielders now, we probably had at least one too msny and all with enough quality to make a championship side.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Certainly looks interesting as you say.
Some of the interest in our players is genuine - certainly Bridcutt and CMS. Can't decide if stains interest in Buckley is genuine or not.

I think we might lose one of those three and my money is on CMS going if only because it probably releases the most budget for the striker we need. He is a better player technically now than when we got him; more able to adapt. Sadly we still dont play the fast through ball that he thrives on. He will score more goals elsewhere whether Norwich or Leeds.

I heard the name of a Belgian striker mentioned the other day but I'm not sure if that was just because it is fashionable. I still think overseas is more likely than a homegrown player just on price and for once I think an early signing is in the offing.

Also think we will sign a bruising centreback who can contribute both ends of the pitch but that might be wishful thinking as the last piece of the jigsaw.

The hint of a "name" signing persists but who really knows ???

I like this post. It makes sense.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Can I throw a name into the hat? Diego Rolan, at only 19 years of age has been a prolific scorer in the Uruguayan Championship. Man Utd are supposedly interested but maybe if Chelsea got involved then they'd loan him out to us to help him settle. Maybe Gus could Hypnotise him ala CMS because it would make good steady sense to progress his career with a manager who would help him adjust to a new country, hmmmm. It's just a thought.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Can I throw a name into the hat? Diego Rolan, at only 19 years of age has been a prolific scorer in the Uruguayan Championship. Man Utd are supposedly interested but maybe if Chelsea got involved then they'd loan him out to us to help him settle. Maybe Gus could Hypnotise him ala CMS because it would make good steady sense to progress his career with a manager who would help him adjust to a new country, hmmmm. It's just a thought.

Good shoot but doesn't seem to fit the hints so far that we will be after a proven striker. That certainly suggests someone more experienced and possibly in the UK

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Rolan?

seriesfive058.jpg

(One for the kids there)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
2 strikers in ( 1 from Europe )
1 central defender in

Replacement for Bridcutt if required
Replacement for Buckley if required
Replacement for CMS if required ( 3rd striker in )

Sparrow out
Harley out
Hoskins out

Could be busy

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't mind knowing what John Guidetti is on. Youngster at Man City, Swedish international, was on loan at Feyenoord last season and scored 20 in 23 in the Dutch league. Tall, strong...no doubt word is out about him at other clubs, but he'd be worth a cheeky punt if we could pay his wages for a few months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports