Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tram derailed in Croydon

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Never used the Croydon tram as I have no need to travel east/west west/east around there. Always seems a very safe way to travel though, Very sad.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
View through the tunnel from New Addington and Lloyd Park showing left turn to Sandilands at the exit.

113276610_croydon-tram-news-large_trans++HqoF-apYYbzdQrcfmCbS59TjJETKtsw1wQ4LwAPiEKY.jpg

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Huffington Post now reporting death toll is seven. :(

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Tragic.
If the driver is to blame, lock him up and throw away the key.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Tragic.

Yup. The deceased haven't even been laid to rest, and you're baying for a lynch mob out to look for scapegoats. We could, you know, wait to find out what's happened.

I know you said 'If...', but you could have said nothing. Your thoughts might be with revenge or retribution; ours are with the grieving.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Yup. The deceased haven't even been laid to rest, and you're baying for a lynch mob out to look for scapegoats. We could, you know, wait to find out what's happened.

I know you said 'If...', but you could have said nothing. Your thoughts might be with revenge or retribution; ours are with the grieving.

Oh do behave.
Who's mentioned a lynch mob ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Oh do behave.
Who's mentioned a lynch mob ?

Yours is a lynch mob mentality.

You have no say in his punishment, should there be any, so why comment?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tragic.

I'm not trying to provoke a fight but that's a we bit premature even to speculate let alone make these sort of comment. Even if it is driver error, it could still have been unavoidable.

Like others have said, I'm left wondering how so many lives could have been lost given that it was a tram and that it looks like it derailed and fell on its side rather than crash into something. It's a horrific tragedy though and no mistake. Thoughts with all those affected.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thread being derailed ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
BBC are an absolute disgrace today.

Look after our own over here, not some racist bully across the pond.

RIP to the seven that have lost their lives. :(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From the Argus

Investigators said the vehicle was travelling at a "significantly higher speed than is permitted", and are probing whether the driver, who has been arrested, may have fallen asleep.
The 42-year-old driver, from Beckenham, is being held on suspicion of manslaughter and is currently in police custody, British Transport Police said.

British Transport Police's assistant chief constable Robin Smith said they were investigating whether the driver of the Wimbledon-bound tram fell asleep at the wheel, alongside "a number of factors".

Initial findings of the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) show that the tram came off the tracks as it was negotiating a "sharp, left-hand curve" with a speed limit of 12mph.

An RAIB spokesman said: "Initial indications suggest that the tram was travelling at a significantly higher speed than is permitted."

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
From the Argus

Investigators said the vehicle was travelling at a "significantly higher speed than is permitted", and are probing whether the driver, who has been arrested, may have fallen asleep.
The 42-year-old driver, from Beckenham, is being held on suspicion of manslaughter and is currently in police custody, British Transport Police said.

British Transport Police's assistant chief constable Robin Smith said they were investigating whether the driver of the Wimbledon-bound tram fell asleep at the wheel, alongside "a number of factors".

Initial findings of the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) show that the tram came off the tracks as it was negotiating a "sharp, left-hand curve" with a speed limit of 12mph.

An RAIB spokesman said: "Initial indications suggest that the tram was travelling at a significantly higher speed than is permitted."

For balance there are reports that the driver has said 'he blacked out' to a passenger, and ASLEF have said there should be a full investigation and not a rush to place blame

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For balance there are reports that the driver has said 'he blacked out' to a passenger, and ASLEF have said there should be a full investigation and not a rush to place blame

I think that comes under "a number of factors". I thought trams had a 'dead man's handle'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here