Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains at a standstill at Gatwick

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
you could have almost walked it in that time... unless that's how you did it? Was this a train journey?

With a beer coat and boots on I reckon it's just about possible if you're superfit like my ultra-marathon running brother - everyone else not a chance.

Anyone else done that long, long walk home from Brighton to Worthing because they've missed the last train? My personal best was Escape Club by the Palace Pier to Tarring Road, Worthing in just under 4 hours.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
With a beer coat and boots on I reckon it's just about possible if you're superfit like my ultra-marathon running brother - everyone else not a chance.

Anyone else done that long, long walk home from Brighton to Worthing because they've missed the last train? My personal best was Escape Club by the Palace Pier to Tarring Road, Worthing in just under 4 hours.

Maybe he was on a bike or a push scooter? Skateboard?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
you could have almost walked it in that time... unless that's how you did it? Was this a train journey?

That's what I thought when listening to people caught up in the tube strike yesterday. Some bloke in his 30s was saying he'd waited for an hour and said where he was going and you could definetely have walked it in 45-60 minutes

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We'll here I stand on the platform at Clapham Junction, and my (Arun Valley) train is about 25 minutes late.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
And then the train came through, and didn't stop ****er.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Fixed. I should imagine "code black" is called every 2 weeks or so.

Code Blacks are only once or twice a year, most disruption is Code Red (severe). Usually called when the network gets suspended, also for incidents like the Balcombe Tunnel failure and the Croydon landslide a few years back.

Black was called because all peak time service North of Gatwick was suspended, coupled with some existing issues at Balham.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

35 minute wait at Durrington for a rail replacement bus to Worthing and another 25 minute wait at Worthing for the train to Portslade. If I had known it would have taken that long I would have walked but person working on the platform at Durrington didn't know when the train would come or when the bus was due...

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Another broken down train at Balham. Southern certainly maintain their trains well.

I do hope they are not compromising safety with such apparent maintenance.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Code Blacks are only once or twice a year, most disruption is Code Red (severe). Usually called when the network gets suspended, also for incidents like the Balcombe Tunnel failure and the Croydon landslide a few years back.

Black was called because all peak time service North of Gatwick was suspended, coupled with some existing issues at Balham.

Am I right in guessing this colour coding is based on which colour crayon the southern controller is given to play with on the day of any given f**k up?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
So far it's taken me and hour and 25 minutes to get from Clapham Junction to Three Bridges, today is a total arse up.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't hear any announcements as to why, just about the train being delayed, saw something online about an earlier signal failure, I think at Balham. When the train, that was running 40 minutes late, finally arrived at CJ it just didn't stop. So waited for the next one that laughably they proudly said was on time (it was actually 3 minutes late) which has been rammed, standing room only all the way, even now just coming to Horsham there are people standing, should thin out a bit now, and we're definitely running late now.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The floods arrived in this little corner of north Essex last night.

Four roads out of the village, all of which I tried and all of which were blocked by flood water. So worked from home today, whilst watching the stream at the bottom of the garden grow into a torrent that came half way up the lawn and engulfed the shed.

Looks like the freezer, which is in the shed, is well and truly ****ed. :cry:

(Hopefully it will flood again tomorrow so I can take the freezer out of the shed and just lob it in the ****ing river).

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Southern site - All lines blocked at Gatwick - A train has come to a stand at Gatwick Airport and has blocked all lines. Services will be subject to severe delays, alterations and cancellations. 60 minutes delays will occur.

Christ knows how they've managed that. Did it stop across a set of points or something? Glad I'm WFH.

Exactly that. Sorry, picture quality's appalling because it was a bit far away for my phone's camera but this is what I could see from Gatwick when I was kicked off my train this morning:

14020001.jpg

What we were told was that it had blocked both the up lines when it broke down on the points. Southbound trains still came through on the line to the right of the picture.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly that. Sorry, picture quality's appalling because it was a bit far away for my phone's camera but this is what I could see from Gatwick when I was kicked off my train this morning:

View attachment 51038

What we were told was that it had blocked both the up lines when it broke down on the points. Southbound trains still came through on the line to the right of the picture.

Clowns.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here